Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport document/birth cert renewal question

Passport document/birth cert renewal question

Old Mar 22nd 2013, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

dudleymcd is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Passport document/birth cert renewal question

I am a British subject,with a british passport born in Cyprus in 1945.
I live in the U S and have recently re married to a US citizen. I am trying to obtain my green card, as I plan to stay here in the US. One of the things I have to do is to renew my British passport. (I let it run out without thinking about it, Over 10 years ) the passport office in Washington have requested more info for my application for renewall of my passport.
They have asked me to supply a long version of my birth certificate. (I have the original greek church version, which the passport office will not accept)
They have requested a long version of my fathers birth certificate and marriage certificate, who was born in Manchester,UK. I applied for for those documents at the government Records Office and recieved an Email stating that they had no records of my father or me.
My Father was in the British army. enlisted in the 1930's, and travelled the world. He was awarded the M B E in 1965 at Buckinham Palace.He was honerably discharged somewhere around 1973 as a Major. My mother was a greek Cypriot and through my father had obtained a British passport which they both have held for years,
My parents have passed away in the last few years and I do not have any of their possesions or any documents. But I DO have their old expired passports.
what suggestions does anyone have in the renewall of my passport ???
Any help would be very usefull to me in this immpossible situation.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport document/birth cert renewal question

Sorry, I can't help with the renewal of your UK passport but, while I completely understand why you would want to have a valid passport in case you needed to travel, I don't think that it has anything to do with your application for adjustment of status based on your marriage to a US citizen.

You say that you "live in the US" - how long have you been in the US (more than 10 years, I assume) and what is your current status in the US?
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

You may need to be careful with use of language. As far as I know the term "British Subject" is no longer in use and its meaning has changed a number of times since 1945 before ceasing to exist.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 10:10 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dudleymcd
I live in the U S and have recently re married to a US citizen. I am trying to obtain my green card, as I plan to stay here in the US.
What visa do you currently have that has allowed you to live in the US? The answer will likely determine how easy or difficult it'll be to adjust your status (read = get green card).

One of the things I have to do is to renew my British passport.
If you're attempting to adjust your status within the US based on your marriage to a USC, you don't actually need a valid passport. So... why must you renew it?

Ian
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

They have asked me to supply a long version of my birth certificate. (I have the original greek church version, which the passport office will not accept)
They have requested a long version of my fathers birth certificate and marriage certificate, who was born in Manchester,UK. I applied for for those documents at the government Records Office and recieved an Email stating that they had no records of my father or me.
Bored at work and I have been thinking about this. Found some information that may be useful.

Some overseas military births may not have been registered with the High Comission or consulate.

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/helpadvi...ry/records.jsp

Try searching here:

www.findmypast.co.uk/search/armed-forces/births
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 1:59 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps you will avoid confusion if you use correct terminology. British subject is the wrong term. What does your British passport say for Nationality status?

I live in the U S and have recently re married to a US citizen. I am trying to obtain my green card, as I plan to stay here in the US. One of the things I have to do is to renew my British passport. (I let it run out without thinking about it, Over 10 years ) the passport office in Washington have requested more info for my application for renewall of my passport.
So you need to get a new Cyprus birth certificate then.
http://www.cyprusembassy.net/home/in...=page&cid=1050

As others have said, you don't need to get a new British passport to apply for Adjustment of Status (AOS). However you will probably need a birth certificate at some point of the AOS process.

By the way - your post suggests that you have been a long time in the United States without status, is that correct?

My Father was in the British army. enlisted in the 1930's, and travelled the world. He was awarded the M B E in 1965 at Buckinham Palace.He was honerably discharged somewhere around 1973 as a Major. My mother was a greek Cypriot and through my father had obtained a British passport which they both have held for years,
My parents have passed away in the last few years and I do not have any of their possesions or any documents. But I DO have their old expired passports.
what suggestions does anyone have in the renewall of my passport ???
If your father's British passport says where and when he was born (in the United Kingdom), it should be straightforward to get a copy of his birth certificate. Birth certificate records in the United Kingdom are comprehensive.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

fortand is an unknown quantity at this point

British subjects, nationals outside of the country, and protected persons can apply as well. As of 2011, you should also be prepared to pay a fee of 77.50 British Pounds when sending in your passport application. Click here for more information http://applicants.co.uk/passport-application/
Old Mar 24th 2013, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

fortand is an unknown quantity at this point

You can obtain the Passport Application C-1 form through different methods. The first is on the IPS website via a questionnaire. You can also obtain a copy at your local post office. Alternatively, you can send in an email through the IPS website and a passport application will be sent to you. Finally, you can telephone the Passport Adviceline at 0300 222 0000 and request a passport application copy be mailed to you, being delivered within approximately five working days. For more information http://applicants.co.uk/passport-application/
Old Mar 25th 2013, 12:56 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fortand
You can obtain the Passport Application C-1 form through different methods. The first is on the IPS website via a questionnaire. You can also obtain a copy at your local post office. Alternatively, you can send in an email through the IPS website and a passport application will be sent to you. Finally, you can telephone the Passport Adviceline at 0300 222 0000 and request a passport application copy be mailed to you, being delivered within approximately five working days. For more information http://applicants.co.uk/passport-application/
With respect, the OP (original poster) knows what form to use to renew his British passport. That's not the issue.

Ian
Old Mar 25th 2013, 3:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in the U S and have recently re married to a US citizen. I am trying to obtain my green card, as I plan to stay here in the US. One of the things I have to do is to renew my British passport.
Just so you know, you do not need to have a current passport in order to do an adjustment of status (AOS). So if that's the only reason you're doing it, you don't have to.

Rene