Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Emigrate to florida

Emigrate to florida

Old Mar 21st 2013, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

valleychallenger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Emigrate to florida

Hi all new on here and hoping to get some views on the above i'm 62 in april my wife 50 in august and we are fed up with england and the weather. we go to orlando every few years and would like to live there,if we sold up we'd probably have around 300.000 sterling anyone give me the reality of it if you have managed to do it or am i just dreaming.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 1:27 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrate to florida

Welcome to British Expats

Please take a look at http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski%27s_Ways:_How_to_Live_and_Work_in_the_USA and if anything sounds positive, come back and we can discuss further.

Old Mar 21st 2013, 1:41 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome,

You'll find on that link above the ways to get a visa, and unfortunately, it isn't going to be easy. Most visas are based either on family connections or employment, with a subset on investment (which might apply). There are no retirement visas for the USA.

Take a look at the link and let us know if any apply. After that we can offer some advice on how to proceed, but also on some of the pitfalls you may encounter (health insurance is a huge problem for someone your age without access to US government Medicare programs).
Old Mar 21st 2013, 1:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome :-)

I'm surely not going to be the first to suggest this, but have you thought about moving to another European Country? There are lots of expats living in Spain, Cyprus etc.

It's almost impossible to move to the USA unless you are sponsored. It's pretty scary being here as you get on in years due to the health costs being so ridiculous! There are lots of people here living in fear of being one serious health issue away from Bankruptcy (sp?)

Might also be a good idea to read some of the 'moving back to the UK' forum, it will give you an idea of why so many expats are heading the other way.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Hi and welcome,

You'll find on that link above the ways to get a visa, and unfortunately, it isn't going to be easy. Most visas are based either on family connections or employment, with a subset on investment (which might apply). There are no retirement visas for the USA.

Take a look at the link and let us know if any apply. After that we can offer some advice on how to proceed, but also on some of the pitfalls you may encounter (health insurance is a huge problem for someone your age without access to US government Medicare programs).
Thanks i do worry about the health as i am on bp pills (for white coat syndrome) but in the florida heat i was told it lowers a persons bp substantially???mine was lower than my 22 yr old sons in walmart!!!! its a kite thats not going to fly i guess, just have to make do with a few more holiday's or win the lottery.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Welcome :-)

I'm surely not going to be the first to suggest this, but have you thought about moving to another European Country? There are lots of expats living in Spain, Cyprus etc.

It's almost impossible to move to the USA unless you are sponsored. It's pretty scary being here as you get on in years due to the health costs being so ridiculous! There are lots of people here living in fear of being one serious health issue away from Bankruptcy (sp?)

Might also be a good idea to read some of the 'moving back to the UK' forum, it will give you an idea of why so many expats are heading the other way.
Thanks for that, it would probably stress me out with worry also.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

My FIL moved over to Florida a few years back, married a Floridian lady (not just to move over ). You could say his health improved slightly on a day to day basis, but he couldn't get health insurance and had to pay for his medication and doctors visits, he couldn't afford the $1000's to have more than the very basic doctors checks. Sadly he then had a heart attack and died more or less instantly, I dread to think what bills my step-MIL would have had if he had to be hospitalised (sounds insensitive but that's the way you have to look at it). My point is, if you cannot get decent health insurance, don't move here!
Old Mar 21st 2013, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wibblypig
My FIL moved over to Florida a few years back, married a Floridian lady (not just to move over ). You could say his health improved slightly on a day to day basis, but he couldn't get health insurance and had to pay for his medication and doctors visits, he couldn't afford the $1000's to have more than the very basic doctors checks. Sadly he then had a heart attack and died more or less instantly, I dread to think what bills my step-MIL would have had if he had to be hospitalised (sounds insensitive but that's the way you have to look at it). My point is, if you cannot get decent health insurance, don't move here!
What is it with medical in the us my lad got swim ear and it cost 200 dollars for a consultation and a small tube of cream, someone told me they go into mexico for their drugs, if thats true!! but that still doesn't cover doctors or hospital.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 3:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valleychallenger
What is it with medical in the us my lad got swim ear and it cost 200 dollars for a consultation and a small tube of cream, someone told me they go into mexico for their drugs, if thats true!! but that still doesn't cover doctors or hospital.
$200 is about the right cost for a short consultation with a licensed professional - a lawyer, an accountant, a architect, and, yes, a doctor or dentist too.

Someone might recommend going to Mexico for pharmaceutical drugs because many that are controlled by prescription in the US and UK are sold freely over the counter Mexico, and in many other Latin American countries. There are several problems with this suggestion, not least that you don't know if you are buying a brand name drug or a counterfeit.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 3:38 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valleychallenger
For many Americans it would have cost between $0-$50 for that treatment as they have private insurance that covers those expenses. The problem you will encounter is having to buy private insurance over 60 with no access to Medicare, the insurance program for the elderly. Your costs could easily be $1,000 a month just for insurance especially if you have a pre-existing condition.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 3:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

For many Americans it would have cost between $0-$50 for that treatment as they have private insurance that covers those expenses. The problem you will encounter is having to buy private insurance over 60 with no access to Medicare, the insurance program for the elderly. Your costs could easily be $1,000 a month just for insurance especially if you have a pre-existing condition.
Then there are deductibles, co-pays, meds, optical, dental to pay for out of pocket.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

I have never thought of myself as elderly , i still drive, drink, and dress like a teenager and keep the wife happy as well doesn't seem so long ago that i left school.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 7:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

$300K ain't enough.

Plus retirement age, medical insurance means it's really not a goer.

Stick to being a snowbird for a few years and make sure you spend less than whatever it is, 6 months in the US to get out of the significant presence test for tax filing.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 7:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Aye, but unfortunately, you're pretty much un-insurable, with a pre-existing condition.

They'll tack anything onto it and if you get something expensive to treat, will just drop your coverage.

To make it doable, you'd need a job and get in on a company group plan.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

There is also the wife to consider. She is only 50 so many, many years of providing individual health insurance for her.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.