Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport Delays

Passport Delays

Old Aug 3rd 2009, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

amonument74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Passport Delays

Thanks, mplsbrit... I did (finally) just hear back from a TDS rep a few minutes ago, that my paperwork had been submitted to the embassy at the end of last week.
At least the ball's a rollin'
Old Aug 4th 2009, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by amonument74
fedex'd my application package to a company in Washington DC called Travel Document Systems, whom I am using to (hopfeully) expedite the process. (To which, I might add, they are charging me an additional $150!!)

Secondly, with passport renewals, do you actually get a new passport number also, or does this stay the same as your previous number?

Thirdly, since the festival organizers are trying to confirm scheduled flight details on the 3rd and need my pasport number....is it possible for the embassy to first issue a new passport number (If, indeed the number does change) for flight booking pruposes, and then deliver the passport later? I am assuming that I can't book a flight with my old passport number, and then show up for the flight with a new one, lol.
1 - You've been 'ad. Expedited service isn't available through third party companies. All they will do is deliver and collect your application from the UK Passports Centre in Washington. If anything, using them has delayed the processing of your application. Bargain at $150.

2 - New number.

3 - No, you'll have to wait until you receive your passport to find out what the number is. Up to you whether you use the old passport number in your reservation, it shouldn't really matter.

Hope this helps.

Dean
Old Aug 4th 2009, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by mplsbrit
On a related note. I just spoke with the careline people in the uk and despite getting a standard auto email a few weeks ago saying processing times had returned to normal now, they said they had heard no such thing
The UK Passports Centre in Washington is just getting to grips with a new computer system. Rather than tempt fate and say everything is OK, our website and Careline are still quoting delays. Processing times are almost back to normal and we will be updating processing times soon. If you still have an urgent need to travel, then complete (or re-complete) the on-line status enquiry form at: http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/our-off...status-inquiry

Dean
Old Aug 4th 2009, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

amonument74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by British Consul
1 - You've been 'ad. Expedited service isn't available through third party companies. All they will do is deliver and collect your application from the UK Passports Centre in Washington. If anything, using them has delayed the processing of your application. Bargain at $150.

2 - New number.

3 - No, you'll have to wait until you receive your passport to find out what the number is. Up to you whether you use the old passport number in your reservation, it shouldn't really matter.

Hope this helps.

Dean
Thanks for the info, Dean.... damn, that 150 could've bought me a lot of british bacon from the english store down here

What are the chances of getting my renewed passport back in time for my September 3rd flight?

Andrew
Old Aug 6th 2009, 5:40 am
Just Joined

mplsbrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by amonument74
Thanks, mplsbrit... I did (finally) just hear back from a TDS rep a few minutes ago, that my paperwork had been submitted to the embassy at the end of last week.
At least the ball's a rollin'
Good luck.

I got my passport today. Received application in DC July 9, took payment July 31, got a call August 3 to say it was shipping. It seems like things are speeding up...
Old Aug 10th 2009, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

sailorgal is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Passport Delays

Hi - wondering if anyone can suggest the correct category for my Passport Application Status Inquiry? I'm pregnant and my OBGYN does not want me to travel beyond the end of September, at the very latest, due to some complications. Since I won't be able to travel home for many months after Sept, I'm desperately hoping that I can get my passport or some kind of temporary travel docs before then.

I suppose it's technically "Pleasure", but do those inquiries even get considered?

Thanks!
Old Aug 10th 2009, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Sharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mplsbrit
Good luck.

I got my passport today. Received application in DC July 9, took payment July 31, got a call August 3 to say it was shipping. It seems like things are speeding up...
Mmmmmm....now you have me wondering or worried...not sure which one.

They took payment for my son's passport on July 22nd and I haven't heard a thing back yet.

Any ideas on how long to leave it before I start trying to chase it up?

Sharon.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

sailorgal is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like the backlog is being cleared - my passport renewal docs arrived in DC on July 15th and today (August 12th), I just got my new passport via UPS.

The replacement included a name change, and I didn't specify any travel date on the form.

Hopefully that means good news for everyone!!!!
Old Aug 24th 2009, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

Helen79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Reading this thread now has be extremely worried - I applied for a passport renewl to change my name (I recently got married) which was recieved on July 13th - on Aug 5th I had a call to say they were processing it and to ask me a question, the money cleared my credit card by Aug 7th and I STILL have not recieved my passport!

I have filled in and submitted the tracking thing (which now seems to have disappeared of the UKinUSA website) last week and have not been contacted. I desperately need my passport and whilst I appreciate there was a back log this seems to have gone now, and I cant understand how they process it, contact me whilst processing it and take the money but not send the passport. It has been almost three weeks!

- Is anyone else in this position still?
Old Aug 25th 2009, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

-did anyone try calling the crazily expensive helpline? I dont want to call but I need my passport and at this point am getting willing to try just about anything...
Old Aug 25th 2009, 5:03 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Helen, did you skim through the thread to see how others got a result? I hesitate to tell you to send a message to the Consul who posts here but that seems to have worked if the system isn't working for you.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

Hi thank you so much for your reply! I did look through the thread and was initially relieved that others were experiencing the same problems but then became alarmed when it became apparent that no one seems to have experienced a delay quite as long as mine, especially since I know its been processed because they called me (on Aug 5th - 3 weeks ago!) and they have taken the money, so now Im getting really worried that its lost or something. They have my original marriage certificate, my I-94 and my visas in the old passport (which I also need back for my records) and Im basically completely stuck in trying to change my name on anything else here (or starting my green card application) until I have these things back.

Maybe I will give it a few more days before I try to message the consulate. I guess Id just be relieved to know if my case was truely crazily delayed or if other people have also experienced a similar anxious delay (which at least on here they dont seem to have).

Thanks again for your advice!
Old Aug 25th 2009, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

Sharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Helen79
Hi thank you so much for your reply! I did look through the thread and was initially relieved that others were experiencing the same problems but then became alarmed when it became apparent that no one seems to have experienced a delay quite as long as mine, especially since I know its been processed because they called me (on Aug 5th - 3 weeks ago!) and they have taken the money, so now Im getting really worried that its lost or something. They have my original marriage certificate, my I-94 and my visas in the old passport (which I also need back for my records) and Im basically completely stuck in trying to change my name on anything else here (or starting my green card application) until I have these things back.

Maybe I will give it a few more days before I try to message the consulate. I guess Id just be relieved to know if my case was truely crazily delayed or if other people have also experienced a similar anxious delay (which at least on here they dont seem to have).

Thanks again for your advice!
They took the money for my sons passport on Jul 22nd and we got it back on Aug 14th.

Hope that helps abit. The documents I sent in with the passport were in the same envelope with the new passport.

So I would give it more time. I received it 3 weeks after they took the cash!
Old Aug 25th 2009, 6:07 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

O dear, what's going on with a green card application? Under some circumstances, you won't want to leave that too long.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info Sharron, it has certainly helped to calm me down a little! It will be 3 weeks tomorrow since they took the money so I guess its not that unusual after all. Did they call you with a tracking number or anything or did it just appear?

Re - the green card application, my husband is a US citizen and whilst my visa is good until dec 2010, I really want to get started with the green card thing just so I can get it over and done with (without my passport I cant even legally change my name on my US documents, ss card etc etc). Im just panicking I guess, but I dont see why it would take so long just to mail my things back, espcially now they have cleared the back log.

Thanks so much for the advice, I really do appreciate it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.