Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport Delays

Passport Delays

Old Dec 17th 2009, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Brit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport Delays

Great news here.
UPS delivered the passports about an hour ago.

To recap my experience:

1) Mid-Nov sent in for two passport renewals. Dec 18th travel date.

2) Heard nothing until Dec 10th when credit card was charged.

3) Dec 16th (08.30gmt/03.30est) Out of hopeless desperation called Careline. Was told that Dec 23rd was likely delivery date, but they would email passport office in Washington DC to see if anything could be done. I gave them my mobile number as a contact number.

4) Dec 16th (approx 14.00est) Passport office called my mobile, said they were about to print passports and would be shipping them overnight to me. Gave me a UPS tracking number.

5) Dec 17th (09.45est) UPS delivered passports to my door.

I am hugely relieved and grateful to the people at the passport office and at Careline. The initial processing may have dragged on a little but once I made them aware of my plight they were magnificent.
Big thumbs up to all involved

Less than thirty hours from my call for help to receiving my passports. Excellent.
We leave tomorrow.

Okay, British Airways, your turn now. Follow that!
Old Dec 17th 2009, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

Brit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond repute

PS... The Careline call cost me about $16usd. I used the number in the UK not the 900 number.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Wooglin is an unknown quantity at this point

Great news!!! Good luck with BA. That is another matter altogether!! Can you imagine what the 1-900 number would have cost you??
Old Dec 17th 2009, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

jewels391234 is just really nicejewels391234 is just really nicejewels391234 is just really nicejewels391234 is just really nicejewels391234 is just really nicejewels391234 is just really nicejewels391234 is just really nicejewels391234 is just really nice

Originally Posted by jewels391234
Well this is my problem. I sent my passport application( first time application since I havent had one since I was 12) in the beginning of Oct 2009. The money came off my credit card Oct 14th. Its now Dec 16th,2009 and nothing. Getting pretty upset it takes this long. My husband got his canadian passport 10 days after he applied( first time for him). Why does it take so bloody long for the British passport. I was holding off calling the careline but by the looks of the previous posts I better call.
Just called the Careline and because I didnt put a firm date for travel I have been put back til the backlog of people travelling with a firm date have been cleared and the 9 weeks that I have been waiting isnt abnormal. I still think this is ridiculous since I put the application in before the backlog in the begining of October!!!!

Last edited by jewels391234; Dec 17th 2009 at 2:55 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

9 weeks is unacceptable. I merely was furious with a total of 7 weeks door to door. Have you tried calling the British High Commission in Ottawa? They have been helpful to other posters on this board. (613) 237 1530 That is the main switchboard number. Ask to speak to a Consular officer. (Ask for Clare)
Old Dec 17th 2009, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Brit In TN
BREAKING NEWS.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8418805.stm

BA obtained a court injunction that will prevent BA from a strike over the holidays.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

jewels391234 is just really nicejewels391234 is just really nicejewels391234 is just really nicejewels391234 is just really nicejewels391234 is just really nicejewels391234 is just really nicejewels391234 is just really nicejewels391234 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wooglin
9 weeks is unacceptable. I merely was furious with a total of 7 weeks door to door. Have you tried calling the British High Commission in Ottawa? They have been helpful to other posters on this board. (613) 237 1530 That is the main switchboard number. Ask to speak to a Consular officer. (Ask for Clare)
No kidding 9 weeks is ridiculous!!! And they are telling me to call in the new year again... then it will be 3 months since I sent it.They need to change the way they issue passports in North America. Not sending to Washington for a canadian and call England when you have problems. Definitely not a streamline system.
I wont make plans til I know I am getting my passport and I guess I am getting punished for that.

Thanks I will call Clare for sure.I will let you know what happens
Old Dec 17th 2009, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

austin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond repute

It has been 10 business days since my passport renewal application was delivered to the embassy in Washington. Would I be correct in assuming that absolutely nothing will happen with my application for weeks (emails, phone calls, credit card payments, etc). I have no travel plans and my passport runs out in April 2010. How long should I wait before being concerned?
Old Dec 17th 2009, 9:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by austin_d_powers
It has been 10 business days since my passport renewal application was delivered to the embassy in Washington. Would I be correct in assuming that absolutely nothing will happen with my application for weeks (emails, phone calls, credit card payments, etc). I have no travel plans and my passport runs out in April 2010. How long should I wait before being concerned?
Even though you haven't any travel plans you never know when you may have to return to the UK in the case of a family emergency.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jewels391234
No kidding 9 weeks is ridiculous!!! And they are telling me to call in the new year again... then it will be 3 months since I sent it.They need to change the way they issue passports in North America. Not sending to Washington for a canadian and call England when you have problems. Definitely not a streamline system.
I wont make plans til I know I am getting my passport and I guess I am getting punished for that.

Thanks I will call Clare for sure.I will let you know what happens
Good Luck!
Old Dec 17th 2009, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by austin_d_powers
For some people, a couple of weeks is all it took, but for many it has been/was much longer. Remember, it is not when it was delivered, but when the payment was taken, as that is when the data is entered into the system. Have they taken the payment yet? It is also the Christmas rush, and people with travel plans are apparently given a higher priority. Don't wait by your mailbox for a while.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 12:21 am
Just Joined

welshwer is an unknown quantity at this point

PS... The Careline call cost me about $16usd. I used the number in the UK not the 900 number.
careline cost me $20 a time, i rang 3 times.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 12:21 am
Just Joined

welshwer is an unknown quantity at this point

Great news here.
UPS delivered the passports about an hour ago.

To recap my experience:

1) Mid-Nov sent in for two passport renewals. Dec 18th travel date.

2) Heard nothing until Dec 10th when credit card was charged.

3) Dec 16th (08.30gmt/03.30est) Out of hopeless desperation called Careline. Was told that Dec 23rd was likely delivery date, but they would email passport office in Washington DC to see if anything could be done. I gave them my mobile number as a contact number.

4) Dec 16th (approx 14.00est) Passport office called my mobile, said they were about to print passports and would be shipping them overnight to me. Gave me a UPS tracking number.

5) Dec 17th (09.45est) UPS delivered passports to my door.

I am hugely relieved and grateful to the people at the passport office and at Careline. The initial processing may have dragged on a little but once I made them aware of my plight they were magnificent.
Big thumbs up to all involved

Less than thirty hours from my call for help to receiving my passports. Excellent.
We leave tomorrow.

Old Dec 18th 2009, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by welshwer
careline cost me $20 a time, i rang 3 times.

On average, my calls cost me 8 or 9 dollars each. The cheapest was 6, and the most expensive was 15. However, if you add the total cost of all the calls......$$$$$$.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

austin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wooglin
For some people, a couple of weeks is all it took, but for many it has been/was much longer. Remember, it is not when it was delivered, but when the payment was taken, as that is when the data is entered into the system. Have they taken the payment yet? It is also the Christmas rush, and people with travel plans are apparently given a higher priority. Don't wait by your mailbox for a while.
Good news. I just checked my credit card online and found that they charged the payment yesterday. So at least I know the process has started.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.