Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport Control

Wikiposts

Passport Control

Old Jul 12th 2007, 11:17 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport Control

Originally Posted by scouseabroad
Nah he was a she...a big momma from Atlanta with a serious chip. She was shouting across to her buddy before I got to her..."what terrible thing did I do in my life to deserve this job?" Real professional like.
Sounds like a case of misery loves company. She had probably just found she was out of Twinkies and took her anger out on you.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 11:20 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Sounds like a case of misery loves company. She had probably just found she was out of Twinkies and took her anger out on you.
There are certain airports I would rather not fly into/out of.....they have a serious chip on their shoulders at immigration. If I can, I try to come into my local. The folk are friendly.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 2:15 am
Just Joined

scouseabroad is an unknown quantity at this point

lol....not an option when one lives in Oklahoma!!!
Old Jul 13th 2007, 10:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams
If youre not GC or married to a USC then you must always put your address as a UK one even if its made up. Every time we go through immigration and they ask us where we reside we always say the Uk and give the address of the in laws. But we qualify with "we reside temporarily at our US address only until our visas expire". Your perm address is your UK address until you are GC or USC.
This is not true. Firstly, if you are on a H or L visa, the doctrine of "dual intent" does not prevent you being admitted as a non-immigrant even if you plan to stay permanently.

Secondly, they want to know the U.S. address where you will be spending your time in the United States.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
This is not true. Firstly, if you are on a H or L visa, the doctrine of "dual intent" does not prevent you being admitted as a non-immigrant even if you plan to stay permanently.

Secondly, they want to know the U.S. address where you will be spending your time in the United States.
We have found the opposite, when asked where you reside. We always have to say the UK even though we have put our USA address on the form. The one time we said we reside in the US we got a lot of stick. As H1B you do not technically premanently reside in the US. So, if asked where you reside we have to say we temporarily reside at blah blah in CT but permanently reside in UK. I go through this about four times a year. And OH goes through it about 10.

Last edited by Adnams; Jul 13th 2007 at 10:21 am. Reason: addition
Old Jul 14th 2007, 3:30 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

We have found the opposite, when asked where you reside. We always have to say the UK even though we have put our USA address on the form. The one time we said we reside in the US we got a lot of stick. As H1B you do not technically premanently reside in the US. So, if asked where you reside we have to say we temporarily reside at blah blah in CT but permanently reside in UK. I go through this about four times a year. And OH goes through it about 10.
Once again. You are expected to say where you currently live. Whether it's permanent or not is irrelevant.

But if you decide to base your experience on one immigration officer who either didn't know the law or went on a power trip, that's up to you. Another officer could just as easily challenge you on why your stated address is outside the U.S. when you are on a H/L visa.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Once again. You are expected to say where you currently live. Whether it's permanent or not is irrelevant.

But if you decide to base your experience on one immigration officer who either didn't know the law or went on a power trip, that's up to you. Another officer could just as easily challenge you on why your stated address is outside the U.S. when you are on a H/L visa.
Sorry but youre wrong. Like I said I do this at least four times a year and OH at least 10, and we obviously do not get the same immigration official everytime we go through. Our lawyers have also confirmed this with us.

You write down your US address but IF asked you should say that you live there ONLY while your visa is valid and that your true permanent address is in the UK
Old Jul 14th 2007, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ

Sorry but youre wrong. Like I said I do this at least four times a year and OH at least 10, and we obviously do not get the same immigration official everytime we go through. Our lawyers have also confirmed this with us.

You write down your US address but IF asked you should say that you live there ONLY while your visa is valid and that your true permanent address is in the UK or wahtever words you choose to that effect
Old Jul 14th 2007, 6:39 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

You write down your US address but IF asked you should say that you live there ONLY while your visa is valid and that your true permanent address is in the UK or wahtever words you choose to that effect
What form are you filling in ...
the I-94 requires your US address ....
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id...ng_out_i94.xml
Old Jul 15th 2007, 5:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
What form are you filling in ...
the I-94 requires your US address ....
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id...ng_out_i94.xml
Before I had my GC, I always put the US address.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 11:50 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lycanthrop
Personally, I think NPR is about the best in American radio...........trouble is if you listen to it too long you start to wear a mac, beard and sandles..........but its still good quality.

"Cah Taahk"
I love Car Talk, and enjoy Prairie Home Companion and the interviews and book reviews on NPR.