Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport Control

Passport Control

Old Jul 10th 2007, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Passport Control

No this isnt another thread about how all expats are really p*ssed off at having to wait at US passport control. Its about the UK. OH flew into Manchester this a.m. and had to wait over an hour to get through the British / Eurpoean National lines. The foreign national lines were even worse. Last time we flew through Manchester in Easter this year there was no one and I mean no one checking UK nationals passports.
So anyone planning an imminent flight should make for extra time if you have a train to catch or the likes.

Still, I cant believe that they did away with exit / enter checks on Brit / Euro nationals in the first place. Way back in '94, silly sods. :curse:

Forewarned is fore armed

</IMG>
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport Control

Originally Posted by Adnams
No this isnt another thread about how all expats are really p*ssed off at having to wait at US passport control. Its about the UK. OH flew into Manchester this a.m. and had to wait over an hour to get through the British / Eurpoean National lines. The foreign national lines were even worse. Last time we flew through Manchester in Easter this year there was no one and I mean no one checking UK nationals passports.
So anyone planning an imminent flight should make for extra time if you have a train to catch or the likes.

Still, I cant believe that they did away with exit / enter checks on Brit / Euro nationals in the first place. Way back in '94, silly sods. :curse:

Forewarned is fore armed

</IMG>
Thanks but I only have a rental car awaiting me when I go home and I head straight down the M56.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Thanks but I only have a rental car awaiting me when I go home and I head straight down the M56.
Ooh when you going? I could (should) have gone on this trip but couldnt face another whirlwind visiting everyone you've ever known bash. OH only had a rental car too but he was almost late for a client meeting. Straight off a red eye and into a meeting grim, poor soul!
Dont get confused about hte side of the road now!
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh when you going? I could (should) have gone on this trip but couldnt face another whirlwind visiting everyone you've ever known bash. OH only had a rental car too but he was almost late for a client meeting. Straight off a red eye and into a meeting grim, poor soul!
Dont get confused about hte side of the road now!
Nothing planned as yet...but I am ready to go at a moment's notice.

I will probably go back in the fall. At one time there was a 6 1/2 yr gap between visits...but as soon as I got into the tiny stick shift car...it all came back as though it was yesterday.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Nothing planned as yet...but I am ready to go at a moment's notice.

I will probably go back in the fall. At one time there was a 6 1/2 yr gap between visits...but as soon as I got into the tiny stick shift car...it all came back as though it was yesterday.
6 1/2 years that'd be way too long for me not to visit. Talking about driving I even drove down the wrong, I mean Uk side of the road here in CT. Totally wasnt thinking and slipped back into Uk mode. Wasnt even as though we'd just arrived it was about two years ago! Yikes,!! Thank god it was really early in the morning and no one was on my street. Oooops
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

6 1/2 years that'd be way too long for me not to visit. Talking about driving I even drove down the wrong, I mean Uk side of the road here in CT. Totally wasnt thinking and slipped back into Uk mode. Wasnt even as though we'd just arrived it was about two years ago! Yikes,!! Thank god it was really early in the morning and no one was on my street. Oooops
Oh yes I've done that before...thank goodness it was only on a quiet road.

I had to have a break from the UK...to try to make a go of it here. We had our house there...so it was still very much home. We sold the house and stayed away...it worked...it did help me settle in the US.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:42 am
You're all mugs!

dukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond repute

I had to have a break from the UK...to try to make a go of it here. We had our house there...so it was still very much home. We sold the house and stayed away...it worked...it did help me settle in the US.
The first car I test drove, I pulled out straight onto the left hand side of the road. Love it! I was even telling myself not to do it but something just took over. I still do it all the time, but I dont think anyone notices here in San Antonio anyway.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Well I wont mention the time I reversed into our garage and took the door clean off... or we're going to get a lot of stick about female drivers
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:45 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Forewarned is fore armed

</IMG>
Got a problem or wot mate? Oh -
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Well I wont mention the time I reversed into our garage and took the door clean off... or we're going to get a lot of stick about female drivers
Oh no!!! :
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

pomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant future

Forewarned is fore armed

</IMG>
I just wanted to add after reading your intresting post.

Last summer I flew over to heathrow from sydney, bloody long flight and this was a 3 week vist first time in years for me, got off the plane must have been a good 45mins to get thought passport contol.(with british passport)

when I finnally got to the front I said to the lady doing the checking etc what happened to normal just waving you though if you got a British passport, she said thery have allways checked them well, for me last year thats the first time I can say in my life that thery have bothed to check the bloody thing its normally the airlines who check your passport ten times over.

I have to say after the never ending flight from Australia that was a very long wait when your bloody tired lol
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by pomref

Last summer I flew over to heathrow from sydney, bloody long flight and this was a 3 week vist first time in years for me, got off the plane must have been a good 45mins to get thought passport contol.(with british passport)

when I finnally got to the front I said to the lady doing the checking etc what happened to normal just waving you though if you got a British passport, she said thery have allways checked them well, for me last year thats the first time I can say in my life that thery have bothed to check the bloody thing its normally the airlines who check your passport ten times over.

I have to say after the never ending flight from Australia that was a very long wait when your bloody tired lol
Really? I have never found that to be the case. How can the airlines check your PP...they have nothing to do with Immigration?
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pomref

Its a new world I guess after 9/11, but I dont think they should ever have relaxed the rules in 94 anyway.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh no!!! :
Funny thing is I continued on my journey to the store convinced that OH wouldnt notice and I'd be able to sort it out when I got back. Yeah right that didnt happen, it was more like what the f**k have you done now.....?? I was very sheepish.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:10 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Its a new world I guess after 9/11, but I dont think they should ever have relaxed the rules in 94 anyway.
What happened to the 60's maaannnn, one world, one love, citizens of Spaceship Earth on a wild comsmic journey, travelling and mixing at will?!?!?? Oh wait, that's right, it was a load of old hippy bullshit wasn't it. Sorry. I'll get me coat again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.