Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport Control

Wikiposts

Passport Control

Old Jul 11th 2007, 6:19 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport Control

Originally Posted by Adnams
Come now! Its better than NPR surely??? Sorry guess I am biased but couldnt live without the beeb and it has so much more international stuff on it than NPR. Sorry if that offends but I gotta support the beeb havent I? being a Brit and all that. Glad you like it too.

You're entitled!

I like BBC WS for news because it's interesting to get news from a different perspective. I quit watching the local and US national news programs a long time ago so the BBC in the mornings and afternoons plus what I pick up on the web is about the only news I get.

I do like some of the non-news programming on NPR like "This American Life" and others but I really haven't listened to NPR in a long time.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
You're entitled!

I like BBC WS for news because it's interesting to get news from a different perspective. I quit watching the local and US national news programs a long time ago so the BBC in the mornings and afternoons plus what I pick up on the web is about the only news I get.

I do like some of the non-news programming on NPR like "This American Life" and others but I really haven't listened to NPR in a long time.
If you like news content then try BBC Radio Four's "Today" program (every weekday a.m. at 6 a.m. GMT) and the "P.M" program at 5pm every week day afternoon - GMT too. You'll have to stream these on line as the WS doesnt carry them, sadly. Also if you like comedy try "I am sorry I havent a clue" Tuesday eves at 10.30pm GMT presented by Humphrey Littleton, its class. Just go to the listen again section of the website.
I listen to NPR in the car and it aint half bad, OH has the XM to go converter in his car not mine.
I second you on US national news on the TV and radio, its is so biased and sensational I havent watched it since about the second week I arrived here. Whenever I do happen to catch it I invariably end up throwing things at the TV. Sorry if that makes anyone who is American hot under the collar, each to their own I guess.

Last edited by Adnams; Jul 11th 2007 at 6:30 am. Reason: info addition
Old Jul 11th 2007, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Still, I cant believe that they did away with exit / enter checks on Brit / Euro nationals in the first place. Way back in '94, silly sods. :curse:

Forewarned is fore armed

</IMG>
Are you forgetting most of those nasty, cowardly, mudering, evil islamic terrorist bastards are British citizens ?

I don't mind waiting fro a long time if they catch the piles of shit trying to murder inocent men, women and children.

Sorry ... but I hate the cowards so f**kin much
Old Jul 11th 2007, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
Are you forgetting most of those nasty, cowardly, mudering, evil islamic terrorist bastards are British citizens ?

I don't mind waiting fro a long time if they catch the piles of shit trying to murder inocent men, women and children.

Sorry ... but I hate the cowards so f**kin much
Am not complaining about waiting in line. I am saying that they should never have done away with these controls in the first place in 94". Ergo, we would not have such a problem with such people if the rules had never been relaxed for UK / Euro nationals as well as for foreign nationals.
You mis-read I'm afraid.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 7:38 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

If you like news content then try BBC Radio Four's "Today" program (every weekday a.m. at 6 a.m. GMT) and the "P.M" program at 5pm every week day afternoon - GMT too. You'll have to stream these on line as the WS doesnt carry them, sadly. Also if you like comedy try "I am sorry I havent a clue" Tuesday eves at 10.30pm GMT presented by Humphrey Littleton, its class. Just go to the listen again section of the website.
I listen to NPR in the car and it aint half bad, OH has the XM to go converter in his car not mine.
I second you on US national news on the TV and radio, its is so biased and sensational I havent watched it since about the second week I arrived here. Whenever I do happen to catch it I invariably end up throwing things at the TV. Sorry if that makes anyone who is American hot under the collar, each to their own I guess.

Streaming is blocked at work and I'm on 26k dialup at home but it sounds good!
Old Jul 12th 2007, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

scouseabroad is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: Passport Control

Talking about Passport control....I go home every year and this year had to get my H1 visa renewed at the US Embassy in London. My husband had to return earlier as he works and I stayed for the month of June with the kids. When we returned we were detained by immigration for "processing" whatever that means....missed our connecting flights....they kept us for almost 5 hours before they even got to us...then let us in. They were so rude...when I asked why we were detained...I was told that we ask the questions...not you. They also scratched through my US address at the first counter I went to and scrawled UK across it as though I had no right to write an American address despite living here for 4 years and owning three properties. I was travelling with two young children. Our trip home took us over 26 hours. needless to say I was livid...but what do you do?
Old Jul 12th 2007, 1:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scouseabroad
Talking about Passport control....I go home every year and this year had to get my H1 visa renewed at the US Embassy in London. My husband had to return earlier as he works and I stayed for the month of June with the kids. When we returned we were detained by immigration for "processing" whatever that means....missed our connecting flights....they kept us for almost 5 hours before they even got to us...then let us in. They were so rude...when I asked why we were detained...I was told that we ask the questions...not you. They also scratched through my US address at the first counter I went to and scrawled UK across it as though I had no right to write an American address despite living here for 4 years and owning three properties. I was travelling with two young children. Our trip home took us over 26 hours. needless to say I was livid...but what do you do?
Smile, be polite and go on your way.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 1:35 pm

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
You're entitled!

Personally, I think NPR is about the best in American radio...........trouble is if you listen to it too long you start to wear a mac, beard and sandles..........but its still good quality.

"Cah Taahk"
Old Jul 12th 2007, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Smile, be polite and go on your way.
I did'nt smile...tried to be polite...and got the hell outta there before they changed their mind!
Old Jul 12th 2007, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

If youre not GC or married to a USC then you must always put your address as a UK one even if its made up. Every time we go through immigration and they ask us where we reside we always say the Uk and give the address of the in laws. But we qualify with "we reside temporarily at our US address only until our visas expire". Your perm address is your UK address until you are GC or USC. Semantics I know and very annoying but easier than being given a hard time. You just gotta sometimes tell them what they want to hear they are only ticking boxes after all. And always always always smile sweetly and ask how they're doing
Old Jul 12th 2007, 2:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I did'nt smile...tried to be polite...and got the hell outta there before they changed their mind!
I think the answer is you just have take whatever they say in a polite manner at all times, answer all questions truthfully and like you say get the hell out of there PDQ,
Old Jul 12th 2007, 2:49 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

:curse:

So did they ever explain why you were detained?

I always put US as my country of residence even before we got our GCs - never had a problem.

I think it makes a lot of difference where you enter. Practically all the officers we encountered at JFK and EWR were always rude or not far from it, whereas SFO, IAD and ORD are always fine. The friendliest, though, are the guys in Vancouver!
Old Jul 12th 2007, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

Nope they never explained. I spoke to our lawyer and he said they were basically just being di@ks!!
I have been coming in and out of the States for 15 years and have lived here for 4....during which time I have travelled in and out twice a year. They are never very friendly but have never been detained for "processing" before. Also during the past 4 years I have always used my US address when filling out the forms so I have no idea what was different this time.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 3:05 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Nope they never explained. ...........I have no idea what was different this time.
Probably he didn't get laid the night before...

Old Jul 12th 2007, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

Nah he was a she...a big momma from Atlanta with a serious chip. She was shouting across to her buddy before I got to her..."what terrible thing did I do in my life to deserve this job?" Real professional like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.