Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport advice - urgent

Passport advice - urgent

Old Feb 9th 2006, 9:25 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Passport advice - urgent

My USC wife is coming to the UK

she has not changed her passport to reflect her new name

her tickets are booked under her new surname

does anyone have any idea about whether this will pose a problem either leaving the USA/entering the UK/entering the USA?

Any help gratefull appreciated
Old Feb 9th 2006, 10:41 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport advice - urgent

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN

does anyone have any idea about whether this will pose a problem either leaving the USA/entering the UK/entering the USA?

Sorry to say that I think it will cause problems. The tickets have to be in the name that's on the passport - I'm not sure they will even let her get on the plane. I almost made this mistake myself when booking tickets to the UK, I thought I'd be OK taking my marriage certificate with me to show the name change, but by chance on this forum I read about this rule the day before I booked them. However, she should be able to get them to change the name before she flies.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 10:53 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Passport advice - urgent

Originally Posted by dbark
Sorry to say that I think it will cause problems. The tickets have to be in the name that's on the passport - I'm not sure they will even let her get on the plane. I almost made this mistake myself when booking tickets to the UK, I thought I'd be OK taking my marriage certificate with me to show the name change, but by chance on this forum I read about this rule the day before I booked them. However, she should be able to get them to change the name before she flies.
Shit, i thought this might be stress

Are you saying that I can get united to change the tickets to reflect her maiden name?
Old Feb 9th 2006, 11:09 am

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Are you saying that I can get united to change the tickets to reflect her maiden name?
I believe so, yes - try calling them and explaining the situation - you may have to prove that she is the 'same' person, but I don't see why not.

It's a shame cindyabs isn't online, she's a travel agent and could help you more. Hope united help you out.

Last edited by dbark; Feb 9th 2006 at 11:11 am.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 11:15 am
Mr. Grumpy

I believe so, yes - try calling them and explaining the situation - you may have to prove that she is the 'same' person, but I don't see why not.

It's a shame cindyabs isn't online, she's a travel agent and could help you more. Hope united help you out.

Phew

Taken care of $107 cost, but its saving me from a brown mess in my pants!

Glad I booked on their website, apparently if it was with an agent i would be SOL
Old Feb 9th 2006, 11:18 am

Phew

Taken care of $107 cost, but its saving me from a brown mess in my pants!

Glad I booked on their website, apparently if it was with an agent i would be SOL
Good for you, it was worth the $$$ I'm sure.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 11:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Can't she just get the name changed on the passport? It's free and doesn't take that long.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 2:21 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

The other thing to note is that her frequent flier account has to be in the same name as her ticket. My United mileage plus is in my maiden name and US driver's license is in married name and I didn't get any miles last time I flew domestic. I can change it by sending in my marriage certificate to them. Will get round to it eventually when I'm feeling less lazy.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 3:54 pm
Mr. Grumpy

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Can't she just get the name changed on the passport? It's free and doesn't take that long.
they don't amend anymore as of sept last year

flight is wednesday next week so I was over the moon United let me change
Old Feb 9th 2006, 3:55 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about changing the ticket, but I travelled on my old passport after I got married. I didn't have time to send my passport off to have the name changed, so I just put my old name on the tickets. Maybe if you call them & explain, they may be sympathetic & do it for you.

Failing that, when are you travelling? Maybe you have time to change the passport.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 3:56 pm
Mr. Grumpy

Good for you, it was worth the $$$ I'm sure.

Best $107 i've spent for a good long time!

would have been a bit of a shitter if 2 of my nashville mates came over sans the 'trouble and strife'
Old Feb 9th 2006, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

they don't amend anymore as of sept last year

flight is wednesday next week so I was over the moon United let me change
PM me if you want to catch up in london.... i will give you and your wife a trip on the wheel if you like..
Old Feb 9th 2006, 3:57 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I'm glad you got it sorted, nice one mate, now you can breath a sigh of relief, ahhhhhhhhhhh!
Old Feb 9th 2006, 9:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Errr....bring marriage cert, and you should be all set...people do that all the time because they don't bother change name in passport...