Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Participate in formal complaint against INS!

Participate in formal complaint against INS!

Old Jan 11th 2003, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

mikemillermn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Participate in formal complaint against INS!

My name is Mike Miller from Minnesota. I am currently having the Nebraska Service Center process a fiancee I129F Visa Petition. I was initially given a wait time of 70-100 days, and then when that time expired, I was given a new 150-180 day wait period.

I have started a formal inquiry about my case with U.S. Senator Mark Dayton of Minnesota. I would like any people processing fiancee petitions to please contact me so that you can be a part of a mass formal complaint I am in the process of filing with the Senator against the INS and its long wait times.

If you feel you deserve better treatment from the US INS and want your voice to be heard, jump on my bandwagon! I am extremely excited and determined to make sure our voices are heard!

My e-mail is [email protected].
Please write soon! We deserve better treatment than this!
Old Jan 12th 2003, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

julian1963 is an unknown quantity at this point

INS waiting times are INS waiting times. You should have gone to your local INS office after your initial waiting time had expired, as you are entitled to do. You don't say wether you are an American citizen or your fiancee is. As a foreigner here you must accept the status quo and live with it the same as the rest of us.
No support here, don't think you'll find much elsewhere either.
Old Jan 13th 2003, 12:51 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Like Julian said , above, the INS wait times are the INS wait times. It is just the same in the UK - they make the times long to help weed out bogus applications. I guess they think that it gives you time to make sure that you really do want to bring a fianceé to the US.

Can we assume that you fianceé is from Asia? If so I am not surprised to hear that you have had a long wait turn into an even longer one - that part of the world seems to be trying to emigrate to the US en masse, and therefore has the highest hurdles to jump in order to be able to get a US visa.
Old Jan 13th 2003, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Jo Brayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default INS wait times

I dont know all the details, but I reckon he is probably the American with a fiancee' overseas who is just being messed about by the INS. They have service levels to be met, and our tax dollars go to ensure this. If we are not getting it, what are we paying for? If it was going to be 180 days (or longer than they said initially) they should have said so from the beginning and expectations would have been managed then. I don't have any issues at present with them (haven't filed yet, am doing DCF London) but good luck in your quest.
Old Jan 14th 2003, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default INS efficiency and speed

Originally posted by julian1963
INS waiting times are INS waiting times. You should have gone to your local INS office after your initial waiting time had expired, as you are entitled to do. You don't say wether you are an American citizen or your fiancee is. As a foreigner here you must accept the status quo and live with it the same as the rest of us.
No support here, don't think you'll find much elsewhere either.
I think he does have a right to complain because of the high fees involved in filing. Whether accepted/denied.. whatever the verdict, he should get a decision within the official timeframe. Anything less is unprofessional, criminal and degrades the immigration process for all.

Isn't that where these fees are supposed to go? ..to support the process described on the front pages of the office websites?

Last edited by jaytee; Jan 14th 2003 at 3:07 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2003, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

The wheels of government turn slowly, but they turn.
Old Jan 15th 2003, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

"I dont know all the details, but I reckon he is probably the American with a fiancee' overseas who is just being messed about by the INS. They have service levels to be met, and our tax dollars go to ensure this. If we are not getting it, what are we paying for? If it was going to be 180 days (or longer than they said initially) they should have said so from the beginning and expectations would have been managed then. I don't have any issues at present with them (haven't filed yet, am doing DCF London) but good luck in your quest."

I think Mike Miller should try talking with the INS directly as someone already suggested. Launching a formal complaint is not really going to help his case and a Senator's power is really quite limited. The INS has piles of letters from Senator's offices.

He should go into his district office, write a factual letter to the offices, and make phone calls to the offices and the main INS number. He did not menion if he exhausted all of those first.
Old Jan 18th 2003, 3:45 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: INS efficiency and speed

Originally posted by jaytee
I think he does have a right to complain because of the high fees involved in filing. Whether accepted/denied.. whatever the verdict, he should get a decision within the official timeframe. Anything less is unprofessional, criminal and degrades the immigration process for all.
Yeah, yeah, yeah! ...... get over it! Nothing is going to change so long as half the world is trying to sneak in through Uncle Sams back door!
Old Jan 22nd 2003, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Unhappy Re: INS efficiency and speed

Originally posted by Pulaski
Yeah, yeah, yeah! ...... get over it! Nothing is going to change so long as half the world is trying to sneak in through Uncle Sams back door!

its worse than I made it sound. 2003 is shaping up to be a disastrous year for people filing with the USINS.
Old Jan 26th 2003, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

mikemillermn is an unknown quantity at this point

To all those telling me I should just wait, because immigration is not like buying a toaser, of if they quote how many people come here illegally and how the country is being invaded by foreigners, let me put things in perspective. If you were waiting a a refund from the IRS, and you received a letter telling you that within 70-100 days you would get your money, you would expect the IRS to comply. If they change wait times on you ... that is wrong. Your tax dollars are paying so that the service is done correctly, timely, and under U.S. tax laws. I am going through a legal process, The ins promised me something, and then they changed their minds. My fiancee is trying to come here under U.S. laws, and I pay a lot of taxes, which say the INS should simply do their job the way they said they would. I am sure you would be unhappy is some government agency promised you something and then went back on their word, and I'm sure that if you had any persistence and strength within your soul, you would try to protest the unfair and unjust treatment. I also should quote The dept of Justices Peformance reports, what establish the idea of quality insurance, timeliness and customer service standards for all immigration benefits, I also should quote Us Code S.2045 Sec 203, which requests the Attorney General to reduce the baklog in processing time with the objective of total elimination of the backlog within one year. This never happened, why? Because these Americans do not keep their word. So don't complain to me about illegal immigration or about buying toasters versus immigration processes. People should keep their word , follow laws and policies, and do their job. The INS is an example of a group of people who have not done this in my case so far... If you want to help in my cause, write me, lets make democracy work. If you want to complain about illegal immigration, write a letter to you senator and ask why white men running big business promote illegal immigration. BUt don't complain to someone who has been illegally separated from the one he loves most.
Old Jan 27th 2003, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Mike Millerman wrote

To all those telling me I should just wait, because immigration is not like buying a toaser, of if they quote how many people come here illegally and how the country is being invaded by foreigners, let me put things in perspective

Mike

When your nation is infested with as many illegal immigrants as we are in the UK you will really know what the problem is. Every person seeking asylum in the UK is in fact illegal as they have passed through several safe nations ie France before reaching our shores. Many in the UK wish we had the stringent rules that the US employ.

I am separated form the woman I love, she lives in VA, but I know that the rules are there to protect people like her, as i said before, the wjheels will turn slowly, but they turn.

If your partner truly loves you they will be prepared to wait as long as it takes. I know I am.

Paul