Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is it hard to re-settle??

Is it hard to re-settle??

Old Jan 24th 2003, 7:07 am
Just Joined

bikinikitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it hard to re-settle??

Hi there, i will be moving back to the US (seattle) after living in australia for 3 years. I don't know why, but i'm kinda scarred. i keep hearing "reverse culture shock"
Anyone have any experience with re-settling in the states after living abroad?
I'll be coming back with my australian husband, who has visited seattle with me, but not acually LIVED there. He keeps talking about all the stuff we did when we were there and how fun it was, but i'm trying to tell him it will be different to acually LIVE there. cuz ya know when your visiting somewhere on a holiday it's all fun and great and everyone is excited to see you and stuff.

I'm also worried it will be difficult for him to find work, cuz he was licenced as an electrician here in australia and i think the standards might be different in america...

Oh, and can anyone give me any info or their experience with shipping there stuff from abroad back to the states? Is it outrageously expencive? Am i better off just buying stuff once i get back?

Ok, hope to hear from someone soon.
Old Jan 24th 2003, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

SantaMonicaMax is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

A friend of mine is having some stuff shipped from London to L.A. It's approx 3m3 of home furnishings and it's costing him about £1,000.... It also takes 6-8 weeks to deliver.

That's one of the cheaper quotes he had!! ;o))
Old Jan 26th 2003, 3:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Standards are different in the US, we are on 110V and Oz is on 220V isn't it?

Your husband will need to get certified before he can work as an electrician an Aussie certification won't carry any weight here, so you'd better look into that ASAP.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 26th 2003 at 3:23 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2003, 8:08 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it hard to re-settle??

Originally posted by bikinikitty
Hi there, i will be moving back to the US (seattle) after living in australia for 3 years. I don't know why, but i'm kinda scarred. i keep hearing "reverse culture shock"
Anyone have any experience with re-settling in the states after living abroad?
I'll be coming back with my australian husband, who has visited seattle with me, but not acually LIVED there. He keeps talking about all the stuff we did when we were there and how fun it was, but i'm trying to tell him it will be different to acually LIVE there. cuz ya know when your visiting somewhere on a holiday it's all fun and great and everyone is excited to see you and stuff.

I'm also worried it will be difficult for him to find work, cuz he was licenced as an electrician here in australia and i think the standards might be different in america...

Oh, and can anyone give me any info or their experience with shipping there stuff from abroad back to the states? Is it outrageously expencive? Am i better off just buying stuff once i get back?

Ok, hope to hear from someone soon.
bk, I've been back in the NW for 2 mos. after a couple of years away. email me through th expats if you want to chat about resettling (it's WEIRD!)
meauxna
Old Jan 27th 2003, 2:27 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
Standards are different in the US, we are on 110V and Oz is on 220V isn't it?

Your husband will need to get certified before he can work as an electrician an Aussie certification won't carry any weight here, so you'd better look into that ASAP.
To be certain about whether Australian certification has little weight in the US, may I suggest an email or inquiry to the professional body that represents electricians in the US. I have no idea of its name but a search on the web will probably yield the answer.

Best of luck,

NC Penguin
Old Jan 27th 2003, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Jo Brayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re-settling

bikinikitty - I am going through exactly what you are! Except I have been in England, not Australia. Everyone in the US *and* UK keep saying how strange my accent is *LOL*.

I am filing I-130 through consular filing. You can PM me if you want to chat. My (english) husband is a computer engineer with Microsoft, CompTIA and Compaq certifications so I should hope that those are honored in the US!!