Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New York Schools

New York Schools

Old Jan 23rd 2003, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

sheba is an unknown quantity at this point
Question New York Schools

Hi Everyone, We are a family moving to New York and would like a general idea regarding schools, primary and secondary, also the nicer areas in New York to live? Thanks.
Old Jan 23rd 2003, 10:00 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New York Schools

Originally posted by sheba
Hi Everyone, We are a family moving to New York and would like a general idea regarding schools, primary and secondary, also the nicer areas in New York to live? Thanks.
Please give an idea of whereabout in NY state you will be working? In Manhattan? Elsewhere, if so please name the town or county.

If you are coming over in relation to work, surely the employee's HR department can give you some pointers to answer your question.

Have you looked at the British Embassy in the US's website for information? That site might have some useful links.

NC Penguin
Old Jan 24th 2003, 1:07 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation

My husband works in Manhatten and we did a lot of research as to where we should live due to having a child who had just completed his British primary schooling.

We didn't fancy living in a cramped apartment in NYC and decided to live in the suburbs. Places like Westchester county and surrounding areas in New York State (eg. towns like Bronxville, Rye, Mamaroneck) had good school systems but the housing costs to rent or buy are astronomical.

We did more research and decided on New Jersey which has some very nice towns but is cheaper than New York State. My husband takes the "Midtown Direct" trains into Penn Station (underneath Madison Square Garden) which take 45 mins and the Hoboken trains which connect to the PATH (underground) trains under the Hudson River and the New York Waterways ferries connecting to Wall Street and the World Financial Center. Newark airport is just 20 mins away by car. Our towns school system is apparently one of the top public (state) schools in the US, with many pupils going on to the Ivy League universities.

I suggest you consider towns such as Maplewood, Millburn/Short Hills, Summit, Chatham and Madison. Lots of Brits and other expats live in these towns. You could do a search for "New Jersey Transit" and you can see which towns they go to.
Old Jan 25th 2003, 4:43 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

If you search the web finding realtors, they have the school listings and can give you the run down on all the schools in the area. Like Englishmum says NJ is a good possibility, but don't forget if you live in NJ and work in Manhattan you have to pay taxes to both states. They do have an arrangement that you don't pay the full lot, but it will still be more than living in NYstate and working in NY.

I live on Long Island and the schools here are excellent. We live in a relatively small school district and we love it. Couldn't ask for a better transition for our children moving from the UK school system.
Old Jan 27th 2003, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Manhattan, my son went through private pre school/Public Kindergarten/Public Elementary/Public Middle school & now at private High school.
There are various parochial elementary/junior schools, generally the best value $250/300 per month. Good solid education, but of course there is the religious side.
The public schools in NYC are generally not very good. Test score results are low & usually present has low compared with the rest of NY State.
My son was lucky to go to pretty good elementary then excellent Middle school. HS's other then Stuyvesant, Bronx Science, Brooklyn Tech & LaGuardia School of performing Arts probably the only good HS in the city. They all require excellent grades & a special entry test, each year they only take in total about 2500 students from all over the five boroughs.

Then there is the Coop test for the Catholic HS, Xaviors, Xaverian, Regents & LaSalle etc. Cost without scholarships $5 - $10k per year + extras.

There are various private schools from Little Red House $12k per year to Polly Prep in Brooklyn $18k per year.

You can buy or read for free various books on public, private & parochial schools at Barnes & Nobles.

Long Island has some excellent schools, depends on school district & Real Estate taxes. Jersey, Likewise. As in any country in the world, better the school district higher the house prices & higher the taxes.

Reg. Frank R.

Ps. They say 4 year university is now running at $250,000.00, tuition/ books/lodgings/food/cellphone/ car.

Can't help with the question of good or bad areas in NY
I am a Licensed Real Estate Broker it is therefore illegal for me to comment on good or bad areas.

Last edited by frrussre; Jan 27th 2003 at 4:37 pm.