Pancake Day

Old Feb 8th 2005, 6:39 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pancake Day

It's Shrove Tuesday. Anyone bothering with the pancakes?
Old Feb 8th 2005, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of
Default Re: Pancake Day

Originally Posted by sibsie
Its come as a complete surprise to me! Actually I might as I haven't been food shopping in a while...... and the cupboards are a bit bare.

That or Chinese food. (hmmmm.. the chinese might win out!)
Old Feb 8th 2005, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I wish. Always popped over my mums on pancake day. Going to IHOP isnt really the same. lol
Old Feb 8th 2005, 6:48 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
Its come as a complete surprise to me!
I only just remembered and now I'm having a real craving for them. I'll make some tonight though Mr Sibsie will faint at the sight of me doing anything culinary.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 6:49 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

The (American) Anglophile in my office grilled me last week about Shrove Tuesday and how to make pancakes. She made them on Sunday (she works out religiously every day after work so I guess that's why she made them early) and raved on about the pancakes.

She gave me some too. They're pretty good but I have a feeling she used an American recipe 'cos they taste a little bit sweet and that's before the sugar and lemon juice are added.

I think she's quite hooked on making pancakes although I'm a bit worried that she took 3 hours to make 19 pancakes. She didn't toss them either!

I guess I should've told her to toss them during the process for authenticity...

NC Penguin
Old Feb 8th 2005, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

I only just remembered and now I'm having a real craving for them. I'll make some tonight though Mr Sibsie will faint at the sight of me doing anything culinary.

LOL when Pancakes are just about as basic as it comes. Now flipping them is where you need a little skill
Old Feb 8th 2005, 6:54 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

"You mean those crepe things? Whats Shrove mean? What the hell do you put lemon juice on them for? You call those things pancakes?" etc etc etc
Does anybody else's US partner act the way mine does regarding this?
Old Feb 8th 2005, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife seemed askance when I told her I was going to put lemon juice and sugar on my pancakes. Seems to me to be an English thing. Anyone know different?
Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Expat_Wannabe is on a distinguished road

I'm making them, been looking forward to it for ages! No jif lemon out here though
Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:05 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
My wife seemed askance when I told her I was going to put lemon juice and sugar on my pancakes. Seems to me to be an English thing. Anyone know different?
It's a British thing. Americans don't exactly demonstrate subtlety in flavoring foodstuffs. If they want it sweet, they add more sweetness (e.g. marshmallows and brown sugar on sweet potatoes) instead of a contrasting taste to bring out the sweetness.

NC Penguin
Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:08 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by Expat_Wannabe
I'm making them, been looking forward to it for ages! No jif lemon out here though
Push the boat out! Use real lemon juice...

NC Penguin
Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:10 pm
Franklin

U-bet! I love plain (but with squirts of lemon juice and some sugar) crepe pancakes - very yummy, there's a place I can recommend in Vegas! Hellboy likes pancakes too. I wonder if he will be eating extra mountains of them in honor of Shrove Tuesday.

Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

whistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by SarahUK
"You mean those crepe things? Whats Shrove mean? What the hell do you put lemon juice on them for? You call those things pancakes?" etc etc etc
Mine does for sure. He can't get over the fact you put sugar and lemon on pancakes!!! He always says they are not pancakes they are crepes!!! I sure miss those but I dare not make them as I have already put too much weight on since being in this country! lol
Old Feb 8th 2005, 8:17 pm
C.G.D.S

Originally Posted by SarahUK
Yes mine. I wish I'd never mentioned it now. Mumble, groan....
Old Feb 8th 2005, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

I've just picked the kids up from school and am about to start the pancake marathon. Despite no longer living in the UK our kids still want to eat more pancakes than their cousins and then brag about it on messenger at the weekend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.