Pancake Day

Old Feb 8th 2005, 9:02 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pancake Day

Thanks for reminding me....Thou shall be doning the pinny tonight and will knock up a few batches for the kids.

Pancakes, lemon juice, golden syrup or strawberry jam with a light sprinkling of sugar.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

I have just made my pancake batter ready for after tea. For the first time in 20 years I am not making savoury pancakes just the plain ones with real lemon juice and sugar. Every year I say I'll make them more often because we all love them and then all of a sudden it's Shrove Tuesday again.

I am not religious and don't really know the meaning of ShroveTuesday. When I was little we had pancakes on Pancake Day and 'tater ash on Ash Wednesday. Don't know where my Mum got that idea from. It was only after seeing my mother-in-law with ash on her head after going to church that I realised it was nothing to do with 'tater ash. When I first saw the ash on mother-in-law's head I asked her what she had bruised her head on. She just gave me a stern look and said quite matter of factly "it's ash" and left it at that.

Anyway my kids and hubby will be wanting their proper english pancakes soon, so it's off to the kitchen I go.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 9:16 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Pancake Day

Originally Posted by mandpete
I have just made my pancake batter ready for after tea. For the first time in 20 years I am not making savoury pancakes just the plain ones with real lemon juice and sugar. Every year I say I'll make them more often because we all love them and then all of a sudden it's Shrove Tuesday again.

I am not religious and don't really know the meaning of ShroveTuesday. When I was little we had pancakes on Pancake Day and 'tater ash on Ash Wednesday. Don't know where my Mum got that idea from. It was only after seeing my mother-in-law with ash on her head after going to church that I realised it was nothing to do with 'tater ash. When I first saw the ash on mother-in-law's head I asked her what she had bruised her head on. She just gave me a stern look and said quite matter of factly "it's ash" and left it at that.

Anyway my kids and hubby will be wanting their proper english pancakes soon, so it's off to the kitchen I go.
Shrove Tuesday is the same as 'Mardi Gras'(Fat Tuesday' in French) ....the idea being that you fatten yourself up before the onset of the 40 days of Lent which begins tomorrow (Ash Wednesday). During Lent your are supposed to be more frugal eg. deprive yourself of luxury food items such as chocolate or alcohol etc. (plenty of chocs around though for Valentine's Day LOL!). Easter is really early this year.

Of course in the UK hundreds of years ago, people didn't really have a pantry full of food unlike today and pancakes were and are, a cheap nutritious food which 'fills you up'.

Expect to see a lot of 'ashed' people wandering around tomorrow - it's a pretty rare sight in the UK these days as so few Brits attend church, but in my neighbourhood there is a large RC church and the car park will be full until about lunchtime tomorrow.....
Old Feb 8th 2005, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

fuzzylogic will become famous soon enough

Is'nt the pancake mix the same that you use for making Yorkshire puds?

If so that's another dish to confuse my American girlfriend with!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fuzzylogic
Is'nt the pancake mix the same that you use for making Yorkshire puds?

If so that's another dish to confuse my American girlfriend with!
Yes it's the same recipe as Yorkshire Pudding.

I can make great pancakes but I have never managed to make decent Yorkshire Puddings. Either Wet and soggy or flat and crispy. May be something to do with that fact that I am originally a Lancashire girl.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 10:24 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

We've just finished eating ours, fresh lemon and sugar, delicious!! (Although we did have one end up on the kitchen floor, my eldest isn't that good at tossing!!!)
Old Feb 8th 2005, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just finished eating our 2 large pancakes each, all with sugar and lemon except one which was with honey and lemon. Still got some batter left so it looks like pancakes for supper and maybe breakfast.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:44 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Mr Sibsie insisted on calling them crepes, refused the offer of butter and lemon and ate his with some venison. WTF!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

Can someone remind me a bit earlier next year, I have just had takeout Thai green chicken curry and am stuffed, but am now seriously pondering making some pancakes (for dessert of course, I'm sure you understand)!!

Lottie
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

Paint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to all

It crept up on me this year too - the British calender my MiL sent me for Christmas didn't have Shrove Tuesday listed on it! I only found out because I visited Delia Smiths cooking site earlier today.

Yes, we will be having pancakes with lemon & sugar after dinner tonight

Paint.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

Will it count if I go out and get some crispy duck and pancakes...yum...
Old Feb 9th 2005, 1:11 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Vern
Will it count if I go out and get some crispy duck and pancakes...yum...
Heathen!

NC Penguin
Old Feb 9th 2005, 1:30 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Would someone please post the recipe for British style pancakes? I'm too late to make them now, but you've all got me craving them now!

I used to make them years ago, but time and premature senility have erased the recipe from my mind.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
Would someone please post the recipe for British style pancakes? I'm too late to make them now, but you've all got me craving them now!

I used to make them years ago, but time and premature senility have erased the recipe from my mind.
4oz flour
1/2pint milk (UK pint)
1 egg
pinch of salt

Voila english batter mix.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 1:42 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete
4oz flour
1/2pint milk (UK pint)
1 egg
pinch of salt

Voila english batter mix.
Brilliant! Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.