Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pacifist and atheist? No naturalization for you!

Pacifist and atheist? No naturalization for you!

Old Jun 22nd 2013, 5:49 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pacifist and atheist? No naturalization for you!

Sounds like they backed down, she is due to become a citizen next week.

“This Service hereby withdraws the request for evidence (RFE) issued on June 7, 2013. This Service accepts your detailed statement in satisfaction of the information requested by the RFE. Your application for naturalization has been approved.”

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendl...been-approved/
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 10:28 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Sounds like they backed down, she is due to become a citizen next week.
I quoted the law, it's pretty clear that you can't object on some personal moral ground.
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 1:02 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I quoted the law, it's pretty clear that you can't object on some personal moral ground.
It seems to me that we have different laws that at times contradict each other. A sensible and legal decision seem to have been made I this woman's case.
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 5:12 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

USCIS acted correctly to begin with, they don't get to make the law. Now I agree it is a stupid law, but that's what the law says. And the regulations. The argument used by her lawyers is specious (and in any case would have to be determined in court).

It looks to me as though she got her Congressman involved, so USCIS backed down but that doesn't make it legal. If he doesn't like it, introduce a bill and get the law changed.