Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pacifist and atheist? No naturalization for you!

Pacifist and atheist? No naturalization for you!

Old Jun 20th 2013, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pacifist and atheist? No naturalization for you!

For me it's academic as not only am I too old to have to register with the SSS, my eyesight is so bad that any army that deemed me fit for military service would have to be on the verge of capitulation to do so.

I am not a pacifist, but I do object to conscription on principle. I'd resist being conscripted by the UK if I was living there, because it would be without my consent. Brenda and her minions have never asked me if I'm willing to bear arms for Queen and Country. If conscription were reintroduced in the UK it would be deemed that I would simply because I was born a UK citizen.

But here's the thing: becoming a US citizen as an immigrant, is a choice, and the US makes it clear that a condition of it being granted is willingness to serve, subject to the exceptions herein discussed. As I'm not a pacifist, I'd have to check the "Yes" box for the question, and I'd willingly accept conscription in the unlikely event it happened as I have been asked for my consent and given it.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
To be a true pacifist, you have to be willing to live and die without military assistance or resistance under any laws imposed by the enemy.
Are you just making up your own definition?
Old Jun 20th 2013, 10:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
The issue here is quite simple.

USCIS are discriminating against this applicant because of her lack of religious belief.

If there was no "let out" clause for anyone with regard to military service then it would be OK, but there is - you can opt to perform "non-combatant service" but, according to this decision, only if that is because of some religious belief.

In other words if you hear voices telling you that you should be a pacifist it is OK but if you have a rational basis for your belief it is not ...
I agree but there is a very fine line between being a pacifist and not being a pacifist. Most people (including myself) don't believe that they have a right to take another person's life unless they feel threatened. During WWII it was much easier to perceive that threat but with today's wars, it is much harder to perceive the threat.

Today just saying you are a pacifist somehow doesn't seem real since the threat doesn't seem real. Just not liking the taking of another person's life is common among both pacifists and non pacifists.

Until Pearl Harbor was bombed, most of congress and Americans were pacifists since it was assumed that the oceans would protect us.

Last edited by Michael; Jun 20th 2013 at 10:28 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree but there is a very fine line between being a pacifist and not being a pacifist. Most people (including myself) don't believe that they have a right to take another person's life unless they feel threatened. During WWII it was much easier to perceive that threat but with today's wars, it is much harder to perceive the threat.

Today just saying you are a pacifist somehow doesn't seem real since the threat doesn't seem real. Just not liking the taking of another person's life is common among pacifists and non pacifists.
I pretty much agree with you (and, FWIW, while I am generally opposed to war and violence I do not consider myself to be a pacifist - what I will or will not be prepared to do will depend on the circumstances in which I find myself at the time).

The problem here was all about the way in which "religion" was being used as the one and only litmus test of whether of not a person could be considered to be a bona fide pacifist.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 10:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

The problem here was all about the way in which "religion" was being used as the one and only litmus test of whether of not a person could be considered to be a bona fide pacifist.
I wonder if they would actually check up on your religious affiliation and practice.

It's quite ridiculous and has no place in modern society. While they're at it, ditch the tax breaks.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

It brings to light a distinction between being "against wars" and being "against this war" which then leads on to the moral right of all soldiers to question immoral orders. Do we get to pick and choose which things we find distasteful as it suits us?
Old Jun 20th 2013, 10:57 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Religion seems to cause most conflicts. Funny that you need to use it as a reason to not join in.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 11:21 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I have not read up on the recent incident, but I did read up on not serving, it was a while ago now so I may have selective memory, but while it seemed easier to prove your position from a religious point of view I don't remember anything that stipulated it as a requirement. So this might be a storm in a tea-cup. Although the issue might be lack of documented evidence which if so, is giving churches a lot of unworthy credibility if they just take the religious word for it
Old Jun 21st 2013, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I'm a pacifist. But you can bet your bottom dollar I've taken shooting lessons. And guess what? They were fun!

But in real life I'm a nurse and should something terrible happen I'm probably going to end up what I do anyway.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 2:41 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

There are two issues:

-A draft is constitutional. One can't object to being included in it except as a "conscientious objector"

-A "conscientious objector" has to have religious grounds, essentially for First Amendment reasons. It's a religious freedom issue, not so much a value judgment of whether your reasoning is good or otherwise valid.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 3:48 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
There are two issues:

-A draft is constitutional. One can't object to being included in it except as a "conscientious objector"

-A "conscientious objector" has to have religious grounds, essentially for First Amendment reasons. It's a religious freedom issue, not so much a value judgment of whether your reasoning is good or otherwise valid.
As I wrote above, I was not under that assumption, can you reference that?

edit: I just did a quick google and got this:
"Beliefs which qualify a registrant for CO status may be religious in nature, but don't have to be. Beliefs may be moral or ethical"
from http://www.sss.gov/fsconsobj.htm

Last edited by kimilseung; Jun 21st 2013 at 3:51 am.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

There are two issues:

While you may very well be correct in your analysis of the constitutional issues as they have been interpreted in the past it doesn't alter the fact that, if the constitution does indeed imply that only members of an organized religion or church can have a "conscientious objection" (and, presumably, "a conscience") then the constitution is wrong (and, of course, it wouldn't be the first time that has happened ...)

... and, come to think of it, doesn't that interpretation violate the equal protection clause by giving more "rights" to people that have religious beliefs than to people who do not ...

Last edited by md95065; Jun 21st 2013 at 4:07 am.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 4:15 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
As I wrote above, I was not under that assumption, can you reference that?

edit: I just did a quick google and got this:
"Beliefs which qualify a registrant for CO status may be religious in nature, but don't have to be. Beliefs may be moral or ethical"
from http://www.sss.gov/fsconsobj.htm
US v. Seeger

"the test of belief 'in a relation to a Supreme Being' is whether a given belief that is sincere and meaningful occupies a place in the life of its possessor parallel to that filled by the orthodox belief in God of one who clearly qualifies for the exemption."

The belief doesn't have to be a specific faith, but it does have to be sincerely held and hold the importance in your life that a religion does.

It's a matter of degree. If you have trouble proving that you really mean it and that it comes from some greater place, then the argument could fail. Seeger was able to cite philosophers, etc. and establish that he had a belief system to guide him, which made his position akin to a faith.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 4:26 am
Bloody Yank

While you may very well be correct in your analysis of the constitutional issues as they have been interpreted in the past it doesn't alter the fact that, if the constitution does indeed imply that only members of an organized religion or church can have a "conscientious objection" (and, presumably, "a conscience") then the constitution is wrong (and, of course, it wouldn't be the first time that has happened ...)

... and, come to think of it, doesn't that interpretation violate the equal protection clause by giving more "rights" to people that have religious beliefs than to people who do not ...
The original language of the Second Amendment read as follows: "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; a well armed and well regulated militia being the best security of a free country but no person religiously scrupulous of bearing arms shall be compelled to render military service in person."

The Congress dumped the "no person religiously scrupulous of bearing arms shall be compelled to render military service in person" clause because they didn't want the average citizen to be able to pick and choose their wars.

This is an old issue, and the country has generally been loathe to allow too many people to escape service. A lot of conscientious objectors have their requests denied.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

This is an old issue, and the country has generally been loathe to allow too many people to escape service. A lot of conscientious objectors have their requests denied.
... and actually I am pretty much OK with that - what I am not OK with is the idea that someone who claims that their conscientious objection is based on their religious beliefs is more likely to have that claim accepted than someone whose beliefs do not involve religion ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.