Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

overstayed Fiancee visa

overstayed Fiancee visa

Old Mar 14th 2004, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

inbowns is an unknown quantity at this point
Default overstayed Fiancee visa

Hello can someone please help. my Fiancee overstayed her visa and now I received a letter from the gov't asking for our marrage license, which we don't have because we never married. Please tell me what will happen to her at this point. She was also admitted under the visa waiver so I guess this adds to her problem.

Any help is greatly appreicated.
Thanks

Last edited by inbowns; Mar 15th 2004 at 8:01 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2004, 10:26 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: overstayed Fiancee visa

Originally posted by inbowns
Hello can someone please help. my Fiancee overstayed her visa and now I received a letter from the gov't asking for our marrage license, which we don't have because we never married. Please tell me what will happy to her at this point. She was also admitted under the visa waiver so I guess this adds to her problem.
Any help is greatly appreicated.
Thanks
Go see an Immigration Lawyer Tomorrow...
Old Mar 14th 2004, 10:51 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Fiance(e) visa (K-1) or VWP? You can't enter on both, it's either one or the other.

Either way, I'd take Ray's advice if I were you.
Old Mar 15th 2004, 12:16 am
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Lawyer.
Old Mar 15th 2004, 11:10 am
Just Joined

lost my way is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face

I'm sorry to hear your problems, but didn't they tell your fiancee in her embassy that she had 90 days to marry or else she should return home. I would say you both should get married as soon as possible, otherwise she faces some jail time. The visa waiver is tricky it cleans up what ever you did wrong previously to allow you to come here, but if you violate it you are can face some harsh punishments. I know this because I'm currently studying immigration law.

You guys need to work your problems out and you both need to this if you really want to marry if you decide you don't she's going to go through hell.:scared:.

Good luck.
Old Mar 15th 2004, 1:46 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by lost my way
I'm sorry to hear your problems, but didn't they tell your fiancee in her embassy that she had 90 days to marry or else she should return home. I would say you both should get married as soon as possible, otherwise she faces some jail time. The visa waiver is tricky it cleans up what ever you did wrong previously to allow you to come here, but if you violate it you are can face some harsh punishments. I know this because I'm currently studying immigration law.

You guys need to work your problems out and you both need to this if you really want to marry if you decide you don't she's going to go through hell.:scared:.

Good luck.
Erm.

Why, from the information which has been given, would the foreign fiancee be facing jail time?

We don't even know if the OP is talking about a VT/VB entry an 1-601 or an I-212 when they refer to "waiver".

They need to speak to competent, experienced immigration counsel.
Old Mar 15th 2004, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

lost my way is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by lairdside
Erm.

Why, from the information which has been given, would the foreign fiancee be facing jail time?

We don't even know if the OP is talking about a VT/VB entry an 1-601 or an I-212 when they refer to "waiver".

They need to speak to competent, experienced immigration counsel.

I spoke to the gentleman who wrote this he said that she was arrested previously for no visa. She'll either be banned or jailed or both.
Old Mar 15th 2004, 2:08 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

I spoke to the gentleman who wrote this he said that she was arrested previously for no visa. She'll either be banned or jailed or both.
Ok, I wondered if there was more to it

Thanks.

She's obviously removable and excludable I just wondered about the imprisonment.

Perhaps she could try for voluntary departure if they don't marry. If they stick her into removal proceedings before they marry though that's a tough one IMHO.

They really need good counsel like YESTERDAY.
Old Mar 15th 2004, 2:09 pm
Howling at the Moon

When you say "no visa" I take it you mean she EWI'd btw?
Old Mar 15th 2004, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Oggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura about

She faces probable deporation and being barred from reentry for a period of time, based on how long she was in the US illegally.

I have heard of lawyers helping couples in similar situations by presenting a strong reason for delaying their marriage (illness in the family, finanical problems, etc...) and getting an extension, but these cases have been rare as of late. Get a good lawyer immediately. The longer she is in the county illegally, the more severe the penalty.