Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Outrageous Cost Of Funerals - $10,000!

Wikiposts

Outrageous Cost Of Funerals - $10,000!

Old Aug 9th 2007, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Outrageous Cost Of Funerals - $10,000!

Originally Posted by krizzy
A place in England uses old orange boxes and plants you under a tree...sounds nice and back to nature to me...always like that idea myself....
I like the idea of an environmentally-friendly funeral. Cardboard coffin and back to nature. I can see why people would be attracted to a top quality coffin (even with the concrete case - a new one on me!) etc, and a good send-off for the departed, but it's not something I'd want.

My grandfather passed away last month and I was amazed at how expensive the funeral costs were. It turns out the insurance my grandparents had taken out to cover funeral expenses only kicks in when they both die... a bitch of a time to learn this 24 hours after a bereavement (Gran is still very much alive!). Dying is expensive, wherever you are, and probably best avoided.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 11:58 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

This just convinces me more that I am ****ed if I am going to die here. I will get my boy to knock up a coffin out of a couple of old speaker boxes and a bit of plywood and get them to put me on a bonfire with a gallon of 4 star. Leave them a few grand in my will for a bloody good piss up with a DJ and karaoke, not one of those morbidly silent, curly cardboard sandwich miserable funerals. I want people to wake up the day after my funeral and call in to work sick with a hangover and a smile from ear to ear.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 12:14 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
a hangover and a smile from ear to ear.
Well, the smile is a given, hangover or not...
Old Aug 9th 2007, 12:34 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Well, the smile is a given, hangover or not...
I could take that one of two ways.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 2:42 am
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
I could take that one of two ways.
I would suggest taking it both ways.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 3:39 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackie dwyer
MY FIL passed away last year. My husband is one of six kids, but suddenly none of his siblings had any money to help pay for the funeral. Not wanting to upset his mother any more than she already was, we ended up paying for everything - top of the line coffin, a concrete box on the outside of the coffin, so the coffin itself wouldn't rot (!!!), plus the wake and funeral - a tidy $30,000 when all was said and done. Complete insanity.

Now that is f'ing outrageous. The person is gone to their final reward. Who is going to be digging him up to see if the casket has rotten or not and besides the is that what the body is suppose to do, rot and become part of the eco-system, i.e. dust to dust?

We buried my father on April 2 and his funeral was lovely with a one day wake, decent casket, no graveliner, grave opened and closed (charge for that) and for all for under $5,000. and that included transporting the body by hearst from one state to another state (70 miles).
Old Aug 10th 2007, 3:42 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southern comfort
Yep for us too and put the cremains in a brown paper bag

At least the bag can't wind up in a garage sale like a husband's first wife's ashes did. It seems the second wife didn't realize that wife #1 was in a ceramic turtle and she sold it for 25 cents at their garage sale.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 3:49 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by jackie dwyer
We're also living on Long Island, where everything is fairly expensive. And, of course, when you have a MIL who wanted the best of the best for her newly deceased husband, it was hard to slap her down.

Didn't your FIL have life insurance? That is what it is used for. If you have a policy the beneficiary will guarantee payment when the policy funds are received. Have been there and done that with a significant other years ago.

Hopefully, your MIL will go and plan her funeral soon and pay for it upfront so that this does not occur again.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 4:22 am
Account Closed

southern comfort is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
At least the bag can't wind up in a garage sale like a husband's first wife's ashes did. It seems the second wife didn't realize that wife #1 was in a ceramic turtle and she sold it for 25 cents at their garage sale.
lmao
Old Aug 10th 2007, 4:25 am
Account Closed

southern comfort is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
Now that is f'ing outrageous. The person is gone to their final reward. Who is going to be digging him up to see if the casket has rotten or not and besides the is that what the body is suppose to do, rot and become part of the eco-system, i.e. dust to dust?

We buried my father on April 2 and his funeral was lovely with a one day wake, decent casket, no graveliner, grave opened and closed (charge for that) and for all for under $5,000. and that included transporting the body by hearst from one state to another state (70 miles).
I wonder what you get for $30,000
Old Aug 10th 2007, 5:04 am
Pom tiddly pom

ali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond repute

My thoughts on this, for what they are worth, is that funerals are actually for the living, those left behind, to remember and grieve the person they've just lost. What, after all, do the dead care?

Therefore, I think when planning funeral 'demands' we shouldn't use wills or similar to dictate how expensive the coffin is, and leave the remaining family broke & feeling like crap if they can't manage it/resent it.

I definitely think we are all entitled to request certain preferences like cremation, burial, eco-friendly, etc, but I don't think you have the right to make everyone jump through hoops -- especially with expense -- if it won't help them with their grieving & it will put strain on them. I've experienced this, and it's not pretty.

I've also experienced the fact that it's those who are left behind have the hard job -- coping.