The Oscars ... any thoughts?

The Oscars ... any thoughts?

Old Feb 28th 2005, 2:57 am
Franklin

Default The Oscars ... any thoughts?

Hmmmm ... any thoughts?

See e.g.,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/4303163.stm

Just another celeb-love-in ... mutual adoration society gone mad (imho)

Old Feb 28th 2005, 3:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Oscars ... any thoughts?

Originally Posted by Franklin
I hate that.....

Reporter: "Wow, you look so beautiful..."
Generic Celeb: "Thank you so much...I just threw something on"
Reporter: "You look just.... just amazing"
Generic Celeb: "Oh, it's only <insert designer name here>, nothing really"
Reporter: "And your hair.... wow, just wow"
Generic Celeb: "You're too much, thank you, thank you..."

It makes me feel sick after watching the same format of conversation for half an hour.

-tom
Old Feb 28th 2005, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

bionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I hate that.....

Reporter: "Wow, you look so beautiful..."
Generic Celeb: "Thank you so much...I just threw something on"
Reporter: "You look just.... just amazing"
Generic Celeb: "Oh, it's only <insert designer name here>, nothing really"
Reporter: "And your hair.... wow, just wow"
Generic Celeb: "You're too much, thank you, thank you..."

It makes me feel sick after watching the same format of conversation for half an hour.

-tom
Yeah, it's a great excuse to snuggle up with a good book.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 3:51 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Franklin
Hmmmm ... any thoughts?

See e.g.,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/4303163.stm

who cares - the traffic was a dream though - just been for ruby down there - streets deserted
Old Feb 28th 2005, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Best bit was the Brit women who used the term "Dogs Bollocks" and the FCC nazis didn't bleep it out.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 1:03 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Best bit was the Brit women who used the term "Dogs Bollocks" and the FCC nazis didn't bleep it out.
Who said that? Imelda Staunton?

NC Penguin
Old Feb 28th 2005, 1:07 pm

cuckoofrommars is an unknown quantity at this point

It was rather lame wasn't it? I watched it just for Chris Rock - the man's normally hilarious. I read one comment that went "Chris Rock acted like he was visiting his grandmother. He couldn't be him. He had to worry about obnoxious prigs like Sean Penn giving him crap for a Jude Law joke. Jeesh."

Seems about right to me. And look at this pile of nonsense regards censoring a Robin Williams skit -:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/27/mo...liams.html?8br

Overnight, Mr. Shaiman and his partner, Scott Wittman, dashed off a mock exposé of the dark underbelly of cartoonland for Mr. Williams to deliver, over a gospel-music groove, as if he were a full-throated preacher inveighing against other newly-discovered sinners in the nation's midst:

"Pinocchio's had his nose done! Sleeping Beauty is popping pills!/ The Three Little Pigs ain't kosher! Betty Boop works Beverly Hills!"

The producer of the Oscars telecast, Gil Cates, urged Mr. Shaiman to make the bit "less political," Mr. Shaiman said, so he quickly removed any reference to Mr. Dobson's protests - and turned Mr. Williams into a fabulous, lisping character dishing up the latest juicy gossip:

"Fred Flintstone is dyslexic, Jessica Rabbit is really a man, Olive Oyl is really anorexic, and Casper is in the Ku Klux Klan!"

Officials from ABC's broadcast standards and practices office were not pleased. On Thursday, they detailed their objections.

Some lines were opposed for "sexual tone," as the ABC officials, Susan Futterman and Olivia Cohen Cutler, put it to Mr. Williams, Mr. Shaiman and Mr. Cates. These lines included "Chip 'n Dale are both strippers," "Bugs Bunny's a sexaholic," and "Josie and the Pussycats dance on laps."

In the end, however, the sexual references would have been allowed, a network spokesman said. But they held the line on material that they believed might be seen as glorifying drug use or offending Native Americans or disabled people.

Among other lines, they included "The Road Runner's hooked on speed" and "Pocahontas is addicted to craps."

On Friday, faced with rewriting or killing as many as 11 lines out of a 36-line piece, Mr. Shaiman said, he and Mr. Wittman refused, and Mr. Williams had to look for new material.

Don't you feel safer now?
Old Feb 28th 2005, 2:44 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Who said that? Imelda Staunton?

NC Penguin

Nah, it was some red haired woman who won for a short film. It was one of those presentations done in the aisle.... were you sleeping??
Old Feb 28th 2005, 2:58 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Nah, it was some red haired woman who won for a short film. It was one of those presentations done in the aisle.... were you sleeping??
Quite possibly.

Chris Rock was a good host though. He was entertaining and slipped in some non-PC humor...

NC Penguin
Old Feb 28th 2005, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot

Please bear in mind that the average American viewer wouldn't understand what "Dogs Bollocks" means. I'm not sure the FCC "nazis" even knew what it meant- so they let it pass.

I have another question. Do people in the UK ever watch the Oscars? How many peeps in the UK even know what the Oscars are- or even care for that matter? I know that the British have an equivelant called the BAFTA's or some such, wouldn't a BAFTA carry more wait for a British actor than an Oscar would? Just asking.

Last edited by Jabba1; Feb 28th 2005 at 6:16 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 6:19 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by Jabba1
Please bear in mind that the average American viewer wouldn't understand what "Dogs Bollocks" means. I'm not sure the FCC "nazis" even knew what it meant- so they let it pass.

I have another question. Do people in the UK ever watch the Oscars? How many peeps in the UK even know what the Oscars are- or even care for that matter? I know that the British have an equivelant called the BAFTA's or some such, wouldn't a BAFTA carry more wait for a British actor than an Oscar would? Just asking.
I do believe the Oscars are shown in the UK. Probably not live but I do remember staying up to watch most of the broadcast (not live back in the 90s, at least on terrestrial television).

NC Penguin
Old Feb 28th 2005, 8:31 pm
Perfumdiva1

The Oscars just make me cringe, and other award shows just like it

It is all so superficial

Who cares which frickin designer dressed the actor, or who did their hair

I enjoy the movies just as much as anyone else, but for God's sakes, why do these people need to be given an award for going a job, which they get paid an indecent amount for anyway

What about the doctors, engineers, teachers, who deserve an award more than these people, for making a difference, and I mean a real difference, to the world

This is my humble opinion only

PD

Old Feb 28th 2005, 8:38 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Spent my time watching Želary instead. Much more worthwhile. Comes with a timely bonus track about how they didn't get the Oscar.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 9:01 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cuckoofrommars

Don't you feel safer now?
It all depends...
How many adverts for boner pills were shown during the whole broadcast?
Old Feb 28th 2005, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

mediaguru has a brilliant futuremediaguru has a brilliant futuremediaguru has a brilliant futuremediaguru has a brilliant futuremediaguru has a brilliant futuremediaguru has a brilliant futuremediaguru has a brilliant futuremediaguru has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Perfumdiva1
The Oscars just make me cringe, and other award shows just like it
It is all so superficial
1989 Bit Awards: Sam Fox and Mick Fleetwood took over from Noel Edmunds and delivered a show that was soooo aweful it was hysterical. My whole family were on the floor crying with laughter.

http://brits.co.uk/static/pages/shows/1989+brit+awards/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sta...ds/sammick.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.