Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Opportunity to go to USA California - Should i go?

Opportunity to go to USA California - Should i go?

Old Jan 15th 2019, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opportunity to go to USA California - Should i go?

Haha, I try to keep some of my British roots
Old Jan 15th 2019, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harveyspecter
Haha, I try to keep some of my British roots
I took my car for a service, and I asked them to check the front pads and discs...............................they gave me that WTF look.................................oh pads and rotors.........................
Old Jan 15th 2019, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Service? You mean a 'Toon up' right?
Old Jan 17th 2019, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Antihero is an unknown quantity at this point

Well i am still in discussions and need to give a decision next week. They have adjusted the relocation package in line with the group so its a bit better . My only worry now is about Salary , i have made them aware the 90k doesnt seem enough for a single earner and possibility my wife wont work within the first year due to settling in and helping with kids etc......

What to do?
Old Jan 17th 2019, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Antihero
Well i am still in discussions and need to give a decision next week. They have adjusted the relocation package in line with the group so its a bit better . My only worry now is about Salary , i have made them aware the 90k doesnt seem enough for a single earner and possibility my wife wont work within the first year due to settling in and helping with kids etc......

What to do?
The real question on salary is, "Is the pay the right level in terms of comparability with others, in the same area, doing the same job"?

Only you can make the decision but, if it was me, I would go for it, rather than forever wondering, "what if"?
Old Jan 17th 2019, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Crux is an unknown quantity at this point

What to do?
For me it would be heavily dependent on having your employer agreeing (in writing) that they will petition for your green card at an agreed point in time.

Yes that salary is not going to go far at all… but, don’t underestimate the sheer economic and lifestyle opportunity over the long term of living and working in the US (especially the west coast) for both you and your family.

There is never a guarantee of course and even when earning good money life in the US is no cake walk, but if you do get permanent residency then for me it would be worth a few years of being frugal just to open up that future opportunity.
Old Jan 17th 2019, 2:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

What to do?
I agree with MidAtlantic and Crux's posts immediately above, but would add, do you have any feel for what future career steps are possible? Is there a path to further promotion if you take the CA job, or is this a position that you might be doing for a very long period, say a decade or more, if you didn't leave to take another job?

Overall I would lean towards taking the offer, but without a commitment to a green card and/or future career development potential, there are some downside risks.
Old Jan 17th 2019, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Crux
For me it would be heavily dependent on having your employer agreeing (in writing) that they will petition for your green card at an agreed point in time.

Yes that salary is not going to go far at all… but, don’t underestimate the sheer economic and lifestyle opportunity over the long term of living and working in the US (especially the west coast) for both you and your family.

There is never a guarantee of course and even when earning good money life in the US is no cake walk, but if you do get permanent residency then for me it would be worth a few years of being frugal just to open up that future opportunity.
With regards to the Green card they have written in the contract that they will support the costs and there is 1 year contract tie or i would have to repay the costs...legal wise in US i am not sure if that is something they can do?

i don't mind frugal but i dont want to count pennies....
Old Jan 17th 2019, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
The real question on salary is, "Is the pay the right level in terms of comparability with others, in the same area, doing the same job"?

Only you can make the decision but, if it was me, I would go for it, rather than forever wondering, "what if"?
Looking at the data online Salary ranges from 90k to 120k , so i would be on the bottom end of the scale.

Long term possibility of a more senior role (well thats what i have been told) it will all depend on the business and how i perform
Old Jan 17th 2019, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

90k would have been just about ok 20 years ago.
It's a decent area. I'd do it for the life experience. However you have a family.
In any case, do plan for your wife working.
First two years will feel like you're on holiday.

Take about a third off for taxes though and do some research what housing you can afford.

Rent.
https://www.zillow.com/ventura-ca/rent-houses/

Buy
https://www.zillow.com/ventura-ca/

Last edited by Hotscot; Jan 17th 2019 at 4:41 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2019, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

With regards to the Green card they have written in the contract that they will support the costs and there is 1 year contract tie or i would have to repay the costs...legal wise in US i am not sure if that is something they can do?
It's both legal and legitimate. Similarly, many employers have a one year clause on repayment of relocation expenses. Always remember how at one employer, a coworker gave his notice in the day after his one year expired...
Old Jan 20th 2019, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

With regards to the Green card they have written in the contract that they will support the costs and there is 1 year contract tie or i would have to repay the costs
Keep in mind that the employer is the one to initiate the process, so we're not just talking about costs. We normally recommend getting a commitment in writing to starting the GC process by a specific date/after a certain amount of time elapses. That way, they can't just sit there saying "it is not strategically optimal to sponsor you right now".

As others have said, is it completely normal that you be required to repay costs if you leave withing a pre-agreed time period (which is often more like 3-5 years).
Old Jan 20th 2019, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone..... the wife has decieded that we will go....we always have the option if it doesn't work out to return to the UK..

bit nervous but let's shake it up
Old Jan 20th 2019, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

You'll be good.

Lots of great places within driving distance. Cities, desert, mountains, California Coast.
Mediterranean climate. Amazing restaurants.Tons of concerts. Hollywood Bowl. Theater. Getty Museum.
Martini's while watching the sunset over the Pacific.
(Our favorite, although tonight we'll be drinking martini's while watching the blood moon eclipse.)

It'll be like being on holiday.
Old Jan 20th 2019, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

That's the spirit. Your kids are young, there's nothing to lose and you can always go home if you decide that the Cali life is not for you. A couple of tips: bring only stuff you really want to have around you. If you decide that you don't want to stay it's unlikely that you are going to have an allowance to ship stuff home again and shipping furniture is insanely expensive. Make sure you have a significant chunk of savings handy. You'll be paying upfront for a lot of things when you arrive (landlords usually demand first month, last month and deposit equal to one month rent, so that's going to be around $8-9,000 right there. On the bright side, appliances are usually included in CA so you won't need to run out and buy a fridge/washing machine etc). Utilities companies may want advance payments for services as you have no credit history.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.