Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Opportunity to go to USA California - Should i go?

Opportunity to go to USA California - Should i go?

Old Jan 3rd 2019, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opportunity to go to USA California - Should i go?

Originally Posted by Antihero
Communication I have received is that medical will be at no cost to me so they will be covering all costs for me and family, not sure about Tax allowances etc .
If that is literally the case then I am surprised, and it is a good deal. Be sure they don't just mean they will pay the full premium (which even by itself would be good). As others have said there are many other charges because of deductibles, co-pays, being out of network etc. which can amount to $1000s.
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 7:50 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry forgot to mention that my wife is also looking to work on a L2 visa , so this will also add to the household income in the future
And the kids are 3 and 6?

Childcare needed? Not cheap if so.
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all ,

Thanks for the feedback and comments ,

Located in Oxnard but looking at commuting either from Ventura or possibly Camarillo which both not that far

Hope this helps and thanks everyone for your feedback
Nice area..... definitely need a second car if taking kids to school, wife going to work etc. Never rely on public transport in SoCal..... it is rubbish unless really local.
Old Jan 4th 2019, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

Housing is going to going to bleed you dry.

Check out prices with zillow.com
Old Jan 4th 2019, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

Antihero is an unknown quantity at this point

Well all depends on the wife , i think her plan is to settle in with the kids , my eldest should start school there and only the youngest which might go into daycare if she works.She is a bit of a nervous driver so would take some time to get used to driving around , but would need to if she got some work. We are also trying to get a place to rent near the school as the kids like walking and being outdoor
Old Jan 4th 2019, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cranston
Housing is going to going to bleed you dry.

Check out prices with zillow.com
I know i cant believe the cost of rent in California and this is one of the topics i have been discussing with my employer about the increase for UK to US prices. $2400 for a 2 bedroom apartment
Old Jan 4th 2019, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by celticgrid
And the kids are 3 and 6?

Childcare needed? Not cheap if so.
The eldest should go into school there as we are planning for them to come over when she finishes her year here in the uk and hopefully slot into a school there , not sure which year as the US starts later than UK and she would of already done 2 years at school. The youngest would be with my wife unless she works then would go into daycare which is pretty much what we do here in the UK. I suppose the only good thing about the UK is the Free hours and Childcare support you get to make sending your kids to Nursery cheaper.
Old Jan 4th 2019, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
If that is literally the case then I am surprised, and it is a good deal. Be sure they don't just mean they will pay the full premium (which even by itself would be good). As others have said there are many other charges because of deductibles, co-pays, being out of network etc. which can amount to $1000s.
Lol i am trying to understand all this medical jargon , i have gone back to them this morning to explain a bit more about it and what would be the deductibles and copays to me. Hopefully would be a Zero deductible package
Old Jan 4th 2019, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by neill
If you want to ultimately pursue a Green Card, absolutely make sure you get it in writing with your contract.

Have you used a Salary comparison website? There are a few.
Thanks , have requested this to be written into the contract

There are big variations in the salary comparison websites , Roughly it looks like for a similar role could go from 90k to 120k but doesnt give details about bonus and package. I think my company is aiming for the 120k full package thing , with the 90k salary , 15k bonus , full medical , full expense car etc ,
Old Jan 4th 2019, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by robtuck
The relocation package does seem quite low (have no experience of the location and not knowing your lifestyle in the UK cannot advise on whether it will be ok or not salary wise). All the little things plus furniture will add up, and quickly. I'd hazard a guess that we ended up about $20k out of pocket when everything was added up, with $5k of that on car deposits, so $5k, even with the car sorted would be very tight.
Thanks for feedback , i have gone back to them and challenged it a little more to include some of the UK costs and maybe be a little more flexible on the USA costs , requested more but do not need to use it all but rather its available
Old Jan 4th 2019, 10:56 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully would be a Zero deductible package
..... that's almost unbelievable. No copays or deductibles at all?? So you literally pay $0 for an entire families healthcare? I don't think so.

What's your current UK salary with this company?
Old Jan 4th 2019, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant
..... that's almost unbelievable. No copays or deductibles at all?? So you literally pay $0 for an entire families healthcare? I don't think so.

What's your current UK salary with this company?
£45k

Thats what i have gone back to them with , the wording currently in the communication is that there is no cost to me , but i have asked for more information. Apparently there are platinum packages that offer this , sorry if i dont know it all but this is new to me having to pay for medical
Old Jan 4th 2019, 11:23 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

You probably think we are harping on the healthcare thing a little hard, but honestly it is the source of a significant amount of bankruptcies in the US. A single car accident ('wreck' in US terminology), with something as simple as a broken leg, can easily cost in excess of $100k after you factor in a surgery, a few days in hospital, and potentially outpatient therapy.

I am CFO of a healthcare facility and I see it all the time.

It's very important that you fully understand what you are taking on in this aspect, especially with your children.
Old Jan 4th 2019, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant
You probably think we are harping on the healthcare thing a little hard, but honestly it is the source of a significant amount of bankruptcies in the US. A single wreck, with something as simple as a broken leg, can easily cost in excess of $100k after the factor in a surgery and a few days in hospital. It's very important that you fully understand what you are taking on in this aspect, especially with your children.
HI Totally agree , this was one of the big discussions when the talked about the job to me was that the big cost of healthcare compared to the UK , and looking at everything i have read and reviewed its a total minefield ! hopefully get some feedback to understand what level of cover the are talking about in more detail....its good to know this stuff and learn from people who have been through it or read the whole of the internet in their study
Old Jan 4th 2019, 1:30 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

You may also be shocked at the cost of daycare.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.