Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Opportunity to go to USA California - Should i go?

Opportunity to go to USA California - Should i go?

Old Jan 8th 2019, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opportunity to go to USA California - Should i go?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That was all we could ever come up with, for example it used to be possible to claim medical expenses as a deduction to the extent they exceeded 7% of your income. So if spouses had income of $30,000 and $300,000, and the one with the lower income had medical expenses of $20,000 then if filing separately the lower paid spouse could claim a deduction for medical expenses of $17,900, whereas if filing jointly, the medical expenses don't even reach the 7% threshold. ….. That said, as all the tax band thresholds are halved when filing separately, I am fairly sure that the higher paid spouse would pay so much more income tax in the higher bands if they filed their tax return separately, that it would more than offset the effect of claiming a deduction for $17,900 of medical expenses.
It's certainly possible to think of scenarios where people with roughly equal income, one with large medical expenses, would benefit from filing separately. I guess you could make the same argument for miscellaneous deductions that are subject to a 2% of AGI floor.

The medical expense threshold is now 10% of AGI thanks to tax "reform".

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jan 8th 2019 at 4:23 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

As a Production Manager a smattering of Spanish would help, sounds odd but it occurred to me that you said you were going to be working in Agriculture, as a former PM in Cali my workforce were 100% Hispanic and I'm guessing your situation will be similar, your workers English will vary between none, some, won't, can't or excellent.

I know some people will shoot me down in flames but IMHO a general grasp of Spanish will be useful.

I did a 'Holiday Spanish' course before i moved to the USA and it was totally useless lol, not much call for 'where is the train station' or ' a room with a shower on the 3rd floor please" in the production world.

Just a thought.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 3:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dj6372
I know some people will shoot me down in flames but IMHO a general grasp of Spanish will be useful.

Anyone who shoots you down in flames for suggesting an ability to speak Spanish will be useful in CA has no idea what it's like to be in CA!
Old Jan 9th 2019, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Antihero is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dj6372
As a Production Manager a smattering of Spanish would help, sounds odd but it occurred to me that you said you were going to be working in Agriculture, as a former PM in Cali my workforce were 100% Hispanic and I'm guessing your situation will be similar, your workers English will vary between none, some, won't, can't or excellent.

I did a 'Holiday Spanish' course before i moved to the USA and it was totally useless lol, not much call for 'where is the train station' or ' a room with a shower on the 3rd floor please" in the production world.

Just a thought.

Lol did make me laugh , yeah i am fully aware and that would be something i would do , having been to site and knowing the people it would be good idea , they also do speak english but it would be good to discuss in spanish......
Old Jan 9th 2019, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Keep in mind that Rosetta Stone has different courses for Spain Spanish and Latin America Spanish...
Old Jan 9th 2019, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Keep in mind that Rosetta Stone has different courses for Spain Spanish and Latin America Spanish...
Or as my instructor told me, pure Spanish and dirty Spanish.......................I'll leave you to decide lol
Old Jan 9th 2019, 4:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
​​​​​​​Even "standard" Latin American/ Mexican syntax is going to be different from usage by industrial labor. Think about Oxford English v English in an industrial setting in Liverpool, Huddersfield, or Newcastle!
Old Jan 9th 2019, 4:53 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Even "standard" Latin American/ Mexican syntax is going to be different from usage by industrial labor. Think about Oxford English v English in an industrial setting in Liverpool, Huddersfield, or Newcastle!
On the other hand, it is perfectly possible to communicate with any of these variants. Spanish speakers do it all the time among each other, after all.

In England, we even manage to communicate with people from Yorkshire, for example.....
Old Jan 9th 2019, 5:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
On the other hand, it is perfectly possible to communicate with any of these variants. Spanish speakers do it all the time among each other, after all.

In England, we even manage to communicate with people from Yorkshire, for example.....

​​​​​​​Agreed, but I would contend that being fluent in a standard language and communicating using the vulgar variants is different from trying to learn the standard language and simultaneously trying to communicate using the vulgar variants.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

I live close-ish (LA) to the area that you're talking about OP. Honestly, I think $90k will probably cover a careful family of 4, but not much more. You'll need that second income to start experiencing the US a bit, and I doubt you'll start expanding your lifestyle beyond what you have already described. Agree that relo is low. Also agree that the health insurance description is odd but good for you if they can actually give you that.

I don't think Oxnard will be that much of an interesting place to live, unless you're into sailing/watersports or general SoCal weather is particularly important to you. I've spent a bit of time there and it wouldn't be my pick. LA is far enough whereby you probably won't get down there that often, and timing it correctly with traffic will exacerbate that.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shiversaint
I live close-ish (LA) to the area that you're talking about OP. Honestly, I think $90k will probably cover a careful family of 4, but not much more. You'll need that second income to start experiencing the US a bit, and I doubt you'll start expanding your lifestyle beyond what you have already described. Agree that relo is low. Also agree that the health insurance description is odd but good for you if they can actually give you that.

I don't think Oxnard will be that much of an interesting place to live, unless you're into sailing/watersports or general SoCal weather is particularly important to you. I've spent a bit of time there and it wouldn't be my pick. LA is far enough whereby you probably won't get down there that often, and timing it correctly with traffic will exacerbate that.
thanks for info , i would probally look at Camarillo to live in as its alot better than Oxnard and better schools . Beaches and mountains not to far and the commute to work would be an easy 10-15 min , i could commute further as petrol will be paid for but i rather not spend time commuting as thats what i currently do alot of in the UK.

i am still waiting for further updates on the medical and relocation , they want to move foreward asap but i dont want to be stuck with a wrong decision !
Old Jan 10th 2019, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Mic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Antihero,

I'm in a situation not that dissimilar to yours which involves relocating my family (wife plus 2 daughters under 10) to Southern California. The only real difference is that i'm involved in the set of a USA subsidiary of the company i work for and will own almost half of the shares so for me, i'm looking into the future far more than you might be revolving around longer term exit strategies etc. However, in the meantime, we still have to live and like you, i've worried long and hard about whether or not our income (joint circa $140K) was enough to support our very run of the mill lifestyle.

As long as have some sort of safety net in place if you had to come home, you'll never forgive yourself if pass up the opportunity
Old Jan 10th 2019, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mic1
Hi Antihero,

I'm in a situation not that dissimilar to yours which involves relocating my family (wife plus 2 daughters under 10) to Southern California. The only real difference is that i'm involved in the set of a USA subsidiary of the company i work for and will own almost half of the shares so for me, i'm looking into the future far more than you might be revolving around longer term exit strategies etc. However, in the meantime, we still have to live and like you, i've worried long and hard about whether or not our income (joint circa $140K) was enough to support our very run of the mill lifestyle.

As long as have some sort of safety net in place if you had to come home, you'll never forgive yourself if pass up the opportunity
thanks mic. Well good luck when are you planning on going ? It's a big decision , we planned for a few years but never know where we will end up.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't read every post but wanted to add my 2 cents. I moved here on a spouse visa so some of my situation is different, just a disclaimer.

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I'd want to know what "full medical" actually means in reality (think out of pocket costs such as deductibles/copayments) and what the US tax liability is on that package.
I'd ask too. Where I work, we have a high deductible plan. This basically means for a family we are at worst, $11k out of pocket per year (Max $5500 per person). How this works is the insurance premium a month is about $60, but you put up to I think $7k tax free into a 'Health Savings Account' that you can then use for expenses. If you don't use it, it gets saved. So like others have said, be sure what exactly they are offering you.

Originally Posted by neill
$90K is not a lot (for where you are going and making presumptions about your seniority), and $5K relo is paltry for a family. By comparison I had a relo of $7.5K just for myself from Canada.
To relocate for WA to IN I got just under $10k, that was for me to cover everything though and had I chosen to fly down there and get a mover to collect all our stuff, the amount I would have gotten would have been less but they covered the flights and movers if that makes sense.

OK, so further to your update, one car won't cut it unless you live close enough to work to walk, or your spouse is prepared to be isolated at home all day, so you probably need to budget for another vehicle. Used vehicles in the US are remarkably pricey, with $5,000 representing roughly the cut-off between marginally acceptable run-about and worn-out death trap-on-wheels, with a large appetite for repairs.

Budget $250/person/month for food and household consumables, and it might be more than that if you aren't careful.

​​​​​​​A meal out for a family at popular chain restaurants (sit-down, not fast food), will likely run around $100 by the time you have included a couple of beers and a tip, so while eating out can be appealing you can blow a lot very quickly if you eat out.
Agreed, you need 2 cars. I'm handy with spanners so I drive 10-15 yr old cars while my wife has the new/family car. Given I never paid more than 900 pounds in the UK for a car that usually lasted me 3-4 years, I was shocked at what I had to spend here. $3695 (tax took it to nearly $4k) got me a 2003 SUV with 180,000 miles on the clock and it needed some work (in 2016). If you want something older you don't have to finance, budget AT LEAST $5000. Rust wont be an issue in CA, but worn out mechanicals will. Cars don't have MOT's over here so some are far from roadworthy.

Food bill for a family of 3 is about $600 a month (150 a week)

Originally Posted by celticgrid
And the kids are 3 and 6?

Childcare needed? Not cheap if so.
Coworkers pay $1100-$1500 a month for childcare.

Last edited by Harveyspecter; Jan 15th 2019 at 1:04 pm. Reason: Addition
Old Jan 15th 2019, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Harveyspecter
Agreed, you need 2 cars. I'm handy with spanners .
Spanners my dear Harvey, surely its wrenches lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.