Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Opinions on exchanging sterling to dollars now...

Opinions on exchanging sterling to dollars now...

Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

welshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud of
Default Opinions on exchanging sterling to dollars now...

I am moving to the USA very soon, and am wondering whether to exchange my UK money to Dollars now...if I did, it would mean the hubby to be and I could have a deposit for a home of our own...if I do not and wait in the hope of the pound picking itself up it means living in a rented apartment for a good while longer. Im not sure what to do....

I also feel like exchanging the money in the UK will be cheaper (no commission / fees) especially as my bank doesnt offer great exchange rates usually, and it will all be done and dusted. I also dont want to risk the pound being even lower in 6, 9, 12 months time...
Old Jan 26th 2009, 9:10 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opinions on exchanging sterling to dollars now...

Originally Posted by welshgirl1
I am moving to the USA very soon, and am wondering whether to exchange my UK money to Dollars now...if I did, it would mean the hubby to be and I could have a deposit for a home of our own...if I do not and wait in the hope of the pound picking itself up it means living in a rented apartment for a good while longer. Im not sure what to do....

I also feel like exchanging the money in the UK will be cheaper (no commission / fees) especially as my bank doesnt offer great exchange rates usually, and it will all be done and dusted. I also dont want to risk the pound being even lower in 6, 9, 12 months time...
Personally if your worried work out the costs. You'll have to rent for 6 months as thats the general minimum term. I doubt it will fall much more so (famous last words) you have time to think.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't be in a rush to buy somewhere. Home prices haven't finished falling yet by any account, and they're not going to spring right back up once they hit bottom which means you'll have plenty time to find a bargain. Rent for a year, watch sterling in the meantime, when it hits 1.60 or 1.65 exchange it.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 10:19 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by notacrime
Rent for a year, watch sterling in the meantime, when it hits 1.60 or 1.65 exchange it.
That's a bit optimistic. I'd settle for $1.50
Old Jan 26th 2009, 10:57 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

And don't - whatever you do - use your bank to exchange. They're all crooks. Use http://www.xe.com/
Old Jan 26th 2009, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

welshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud of

I think I am going to be realistic - take out the money I NEED (eg some money to buy essentials, and contribute to my AOS as I am travelling over on a K1 fiance visa) then wait a while to see if there is an upturn. My money won't go anywhere if it is waiting over here in my savings account.

Thanks everyone for the advice!
Old Jan 26th 2009, 11:33 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tonrob
And don't - whatever you do - use your bank to exchange. They're all crooks. Use http://www.xe.com/
I use ukforex.com. They are not crooks either.

Oddly enough, I was in the wife's bank the other week. Wanted to put £50 into her account to cover some DDs. So I handed over the cash and the bird said "Is there anything else?" I said "Well, yes, can I please have a receipt for the money I've just given you?"

She said, "Well, I can write one out, if you want." To which I replied "Yes please. You're a bank. It's not as if you were trustworthy, like shoplifters or murderers."
Old Jan 26th 2009, 1:10 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notacrime
I wouldn't be in a rush to buy somewhere. Home prices haven't finished falling yet by any account, and they're not going to spring right back up once they hit bottom which means you'll have plenty time to find a bargain. Rent for a year, watch sterling in the meantime, when it hits 1.60 or 1.65 exchange it.
Originally Posted by chartreuse
That's a bit optimistic. I'd settle for $1.50
I hope I'm wrong, but you might both be a bit optimistic. Maybe the pound will keep drifting down to 1.20, 1.00, even 0.80. With North Sea Oil running out, Cool Britannia dead as a doornail and the financial sector moribund, what hope is there for a strong pound in the long run?

Last edited by robin1234; Jan 26th 2009 at 1:43 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 1:41 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Or things might change if Britain decides to go ahead and join the Euro. A month ago the British government were denying they were closer to joining, but you never know, if the pound slides further and further.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/7757830.stm
Old Jan 26th 2009, 4:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbark
Or things might change if Britain decides to go ahead and join the Euro. A month ago the British government were denying they were closer to joining, but you never know, if the pound slides further and further.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/7757830.stm
I doubt it, people leaving the Euro maybe.

Iceland excepted.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 4:43 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
With North Sea Oil running out,
twatcher sold off that little gem years ago
Old Jan 26th 2009, 5:35 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
twatcher sold off that little gem years ago
But it contributes towards high-paying jobs & the balance of payments in the UK, doesn't it?
Old Jan 26th 2009, 6:51 pm
Not dead yet

Originally Posted by robin1234
But it contributes towards high-paying jobs & the balance of payments in the UK, doesn't it?
As does selling toys from China
Old Jan 26th 2009, 7:04 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Thydney
As does selling toys from China
Selling toys from China would tend towards a current account deficit though ...

Britain still exports oil, although British production has declined since 1999. Britain is now a net importer of oil -- but as North Sea Oil production declines even further, presumably Britain will increase its oil imports therefore adding to the balance of trade deficit.