Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Opening a US checking account without state ID?

Opening a US checking account without state ID?

Old Feb 28th 2022, 10:31 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a US checking account without state ID?

Originally Posted by Midlifecrises
Hi

I've just opened an account today with no SSN or ITIN with Wells Fargo. Used passport, driving license and UK visa card. No problem at all.
did you have to give proof of US address?
Old Feb 28th 2022, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

Midlifecrises has a reputation beyond reputeMidlifecrises has a reputation beyond reputeMidlifecrises has a reputation beyond reputeMidlifecrises has a reputation beyond reputeMidlifecrises has a reputation beyond reputeMidlifecrises has a reputation beyond reputeMidlifecrises has a reputation beyond reputeMidlifecrises has a reputation beyond reputeMidlifecrises has a reputation beyond reputeMidlifecrises has a reputation beyond reputeMidlifecrises has a reputation beyond repute

We had proof of address but they didn't actually need it
Old Mar 6th 2022, 11:03 pm
Love California

Chrisoconnor2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I was in exactly the same position around 4 weeks ago. After a lot of groundwork Chase were offering the best deal in both checking and savings. I booked my appointment before I left the UK. When I arrived for my appointment the lady couldn’t have been more professional and helpful. She used my US passport and my SSN for my ID and my accounts were open as soon as I left the appointment and my my debit card arrived the week after. The $225 offer is a great one but is only paid 28 days after your first deposit hits your account. Be sure to apply for the $225 coupon in line and take this with you to the appointment. Another thing was that I didn’t need to put any cash into the account to start it, I did, but you don’t have to.
Old Mar 7th 2022, 2:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Midlifecrises
We had proof of address but they didn't actually need it ...
Hmmm, I'm not sure how you got away without proving an address, unless there was an address on the documents you showed them which was sufficient proof, because "proof of address" is a mandatory requirement and has been since the USA PATRIOT Act was implemented nearly 20 years ago. So if you genuinely did not provide a proof of address then you should consider yourself lucky as you appear to have slipped through the cracks.
Old Mar 8th 2022, 1:18 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Hmmm, I'm not sure how you got away without proving an address, unless there was an address on the documents you showed them which was sufficient proof, because "proof of address" is a mandatory requirement and has been since the USA PATRIOT Act was implemented nearly 20 years ago. So if you genuinely did not provide a proof of address then you should consider yourself lucky as you appear to have slipped through the cracks.
Before Covid, wells fargo and BofA here in austin would open an account without proof of address. Not anymore. And Chase has always had a stricter policy regarding which documents they would accept - no corporate/temp housing contracts for example. I once sat in the branch with one of the bankers going through their whole list of acceptable documents trying to figure out a way I could get a bank account for someone just stepped off the plane and couldn't do it.

I've had a fair bit of interest for CityNational Bank - the management team is the former US HSBC team - and they will open an account before you arrive with just an offer letter from your employer. They will also give out a US credit card before you arrive.

Last edited by petitefrancaise; Mar 8th 2022 at 1:20 am.
Old Mar 11th 2022, 6:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Sounds like some things have changed about opening a bank account.

Why not use the bank your company uses and have them as a guarantor of your identification. That is why I opened a checking account at Bank X years ago.

That’s what we did. We opened a bank account with Chase before we moved to the US…hubby’s company acted as guarantor.
Old Mar 12th 2022, 1:09 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You may need to visit a branch to get around restrictive web site rules for applying for an account as the web site rules will work just fine for 99.9% of US residents, but as a new immigrant you're an outlier.

It is certainly possible for a bank to have more restrictive requirements than what federal law prescribes for opening a bank account, but most banks most of the time will open an account with the legal minimum documentation. That said, the common stumbling block is that bank branch staff have either been incorrectly trained, or are otherwise just used to "always" collecting a social security number from new customers and they don't realize/ understand that an SSN isn't actually required by law. Also that "proof of address" doesn't actually have to be an address in the US (though that is an "add on" restriction that some banks apply - "no accounts for non-residents").

The legal minimum requirements to open a bank account in the US are [1] proof of name, [2] proof of address, [3] proof of date of birth, and [4] "a government issued ID number". A passport is sufficient proof for 1,3, and 4, (it is common for a bank to ask for two proofs of name and address, but something like a credit card and some sort of tax record or credit card/ utility bill will work as the second proof) but unfortunately branch staff, as per above, often think that an SSN is the only "government issued ID number" that is acceptable. It isn't, and a passport number is perfectly acceptable.

So if you're told no" by the clerk in a bank, ask to speak to a supervisor, and quote the above at them - "I'm required to provide a government issued ID number, not necessarily an SSN, which I don't have yet", but if the supervisor can't get it into their head that your documentation does meet the legal requirements to open a non-interest bearing account, honestly it'll be easier to just leave and try another bank.
I just looked up the current policy for the bank I work for and it does not contradict the bold bit. On point 2 it allows a business address or next of kin/other contact, but does not specify how you would document that! Point 4 allows your alien number to be used
Old Mar 12th 2022, 11:09 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Incidentally, walking in to a branch and requesting $12k cash withdrawal is going to raise eyebrows, even if you have the cash in the account #Ryan Coogler