Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Opening a US checking account without state ID?

Opening a US checking account without state ID?

Old Feb 24th 2022, 11:35 am
Just Joined

Fe1ix is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Opening a US checking account without state ID?

Hi everyone, thanks so much for the amazing answers on my last question - I thought I'd ask another...

I need to open a US bank (checking) account soon after I arrive (next Monday!) so I can set up direct deposit and my company can pay me.
I was looking at Chase's website and they appear to need two forms of government issued photo ID for opening an account - I only have one (my US passport).

I'd really like to have a bank account ASAP and was wondering: do you think a bank would let me use my UK driving licence / passport as the second piece of ID?
I'm sure I could go to the DMV and get a state ID but I imagine this would not be a quick process! I've heard about the horrors of the DMV often.

Also what's your opinion on Chase for checking? I also like the look of Capital One's 360 account but Chase's $225 sign up bonus seems pretty sweet.
Many thanks in advance.
Old Feb 24th 2022, 12:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a US checking account without state ID?

Sounds like some things have changed about opening a bank account.

Why not use the bank your company uses and have them as a guarantor of your identification. That is why I opened a checking account at Bank X years ago.
Old Feb 24th 2022, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

Fe1ix is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a great suggestion! I had not considered this, I will reach out to my company and see - thanks!
Old Feb 24th 2022, 2:47 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute

When I moved to the US, I opened a checking account with PNC, using my UK ID (Passport and DL).

Once I had received my SSN, I was able to get my details updated so I could potentially open a savings account. I was also added to the lease agreement, so was able to change the registered address from the UK to USA.
Old Feb 24th 2022, 3:00 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I had a nightmare of a time opening a bank account before I received my Green Card back in 2013. They couldn't get it through their head that I didn't have a US photo ID because I literally arrived the day before, and insisted that I had to have my Green Card, and my SS card.

After about 40 minutes they called corporate, who corrected them.
Old Feb 24th 2022, 6:09 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fe1ix
Hi everyone, thanks so much for the amazing answers on my last question - I thought I'd ask another...

I need to open a US bank (checking) account soon after I arrive (next Monday!) so I can set up direct deposit and my company can pay me.
I was looking at Chase's website and they appear to need two forms of government issued photo ID for opening an account - I only have one (my US passport).

I'd really like to have a bank account ASAP and was wondering: do you think a bank would let me use my UK driving licence / passport as the second piece of ID?
I'm sure I could go to the DMV and get a state ID but I imagine this would not be a quick process! I've heard about the horrors of the DMV often.

Also what's your opinion on Chase for checking? I also like the look of Capital One's 360 account but Chase's $225 sign up bonus seems pretty sweet.
Many thanks in advance.
Most payrolls have the option to cut a check as well. I know 1099 contractors who receive a physical check and have also had payroll issue one for me as well as a W2. You can then go and cash a check at the issuing bank with photo ID.
Old Feb 24th 2022, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

I opened a bank account in Southern California Chase with just a British passport, a letter from my employer, a copy of my lease and a copy of buildings/content insurance, on ESTA, prior to my L1 coming through. No questions asked.
Old Feb 25th 2022, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

Anrev is an unknown quantity at this point

I opened a BofA account with just a UK passport
Old Feb 25th 2022, 2:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You may need to visit a branch to get around restrictive web site rules for applying for an account as the web site rules will work just fine for 99.9% of US residents, but as a new immigrant you're an outlier.

It is certainly possible for a bank to have more restrictive requirements than what federal law prescribes for opening a bank account, but most banks most of the time will open an account with the legal minimum documentation. That said, the common stumbling block is that bank branch staff have either been incorrectly trained, or are otherwise just used to "always" collecting a social security number from new customers and they don't realize/ understand that an SSN isn't actually required by law. Also that "proof of address" doesn't actually have to be an address in the US (though that is an "add on" restriction that some banks apply - "no accounts for non-residents").

The legal minimum requirements to open a bank account in the US are [1] proof of name, [2] proof of address, [3] proof of date of birth, and [4] "a government issued ID number". A passport is sufficient proof for 1,3, and 4, (it is common for a bank to ask for two proofs of name and address, but something like a credit card and some sort of tax record or credit card/ utility bill will work as the second proof) but unfortunately branch staff, as per above, often think that an SSN is the only "government issued ID number" that is acceptable. It isn't, and a passport number is perfectly acceptable.

So if you're told no" by the clerk in a bank, ask to speak to a supervisor, and quote the above at them - "I'm required to provide a government issued ID number, not necessarily an SSN, which I don't have yet", but if the supervisor can't get it into their head that your documentation does meet the legal requirements to open a non-interest bearing account, honestly it'll be easier to just leave and try another bank.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 25th 2022 at 2:32 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2022, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

Irish_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeIrish_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeIrish_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeIrish_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeIrish_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeIrish_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeIrish_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeIrish_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeIrish_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeIrish_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeIrish_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anrev
I opened a BofA account with just a UK passport
Me too. As someone who couldn't get an SSN because they were on a H4 all I had to start off with was my UK ID and it was fine. I did use our lease, which my name was on as proof of address.
Old Feb 25th 2022, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

You can't accrue interest on a savings account without an SSN, and that was clearly explained to me at the time by a Chase member of staff at the Huntington Beach branch. It didn't interfere with the account opening, though.
Old Feb 25th 2022, 8:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destone
You can't accrue interest on a savings account without an SSN, and that was clearly explained to me at the time by a Chase member of staff ....
Aaaand that would be incorrect, because for tax purposes a TIN is equally acceptable.
Old Feb 25th 2022, 11:03 pm
Just Joined

hannahjane86 has a reputation beyond reputehannahjane86 has a reputation beyond reputehannahjane86 has a reputation beyond reputehannahjane86 has a reputation beyond reputehannahjane86 has a reputation beyond reputehannahjane86 has a reputation beyond reputehannahjane86 has a reputation beyond reputehannahjane86 has a reputation beyond reputehannahjane86 has a reputation beyond reputehannahjane86 has a reputation beyond reputehannahjane86 has a reputation beyond repute

Check with your company. We recently moved and had a partnerships agreement between my husband’s employer and our bank. Also if you bank with hsbc premier they honour your premier status in the states ( some branches are closing or moving to citizen bank so it’s mostly an online bank ).

we were able to open a checking and savings account and a credit card with no ssn. We had our ssn appointment a few weeks later and updated the bank with our ssns once we had them).

also Amex are still honouring internationals if you have an Amex in the uk, it’s a straightforward online application to switch across ( or so it was for us), everything we have done has been in the past 6 months.

it might depend on which state you move to but tri state seems very used to British expats and the banks help accordingly.
Old Feb 28th 2022, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irish_Girl
Me too. As someone who couldn't get an SSN because they were on a H4 all I had to start off with was my UK ID and it was fine. I did use our lease, which my name was on as proof of address.
Me three, albeit in 2009... oh and cold, hard, cash
Old Feb 28th 2022, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

Midlifecrises has a reputation beyond reputeMidlifecrises has a reputation beyond reputeMidlifecrises has a reputation beyond reputeMidlifecrises has a reputation beyond reputeMidlifecrises has a reputation beyond reputeMidlifecrises has a reputation beyond reputeMidlifecrises has a reputation beyond reputeMidlifecrises has a reputation beyond reputeMidlifecrises has a reputation beyond reputeMidlifecrises has a reputation beyond reputeMidlifecrises has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fe1ix

Many thanks in advance.
Hi

I've just opened an account today with no SSN or ITIN with Wells Fargo. Used passport, driving license and UK visa card. No problem at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.