Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

opening a US bank account from UK

opening a US bank account from UK

Old May 29th 2003, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

John Murray will become famous soon enoughJohn Murray will become famous soon enough

I had enquired with Citibank a while back about their US$ account - but they said the cheque MAY be considered a "foreign" cheque depending on where they were used - so I gave up trying. So, I've been paying a fee each month to order a foreign draft, which is a pain. My wife contacted us bank, who are one of the big us banks, but they said you need a us address to open an account.
Old May 29th 2003, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

pinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to all

We have an account with Bank of America in Florida. We opened this with our UK address and without a SSN. This was back in 2001 though. We use this account regularly and the $ checks are printed with our UK address. We also have it set up for a direct debit type of service like in the UK
Old May 29th 2003, 7:54 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pinkpanther
We have an account with Bank of America in Florida. We opened this with our UK address and without a SSN. This was back in 2001 though. We use this account regularly and the $ checks are printed with our UK address. We also have it set up for a direct debit type of service like in the UK
Did you do it in Florida or from the UK. You can walk into a bank and open an account without a SSN you just can't do it from abroad now

Patrick
Old May 31st 2003, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

John Murray will become famous soon enoughJohn Murray will become famous soon enough

Following Pink Panther's post I emailed Bank of America - I was told they could only open an account if client has maintained a US address