Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Opening Bank Account without SSN

Wikiposts

Opening Bank Account without SSN

Old Sep 13th 2008, 6:38 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening Bank Account without SSN

Originally Posted by meauxna
Y'don't say. How did they handle the required tax reporting? Didn't they request a form W-9?
I guess there are few absolutes left in life...
They take witholding out of the interest ..
Old Sep 13th 2008, 6:41 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
They take witholding out of the interest ..
And credit it to..... who? what?
Old Sep 13th 2008, 6:42 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Y'don't say. How did they handle the required tax reporting? Didn't they request a form W-9?
I guess there are few absolutes left in life...
Back when I opened my account (with WaMu - don't bet on the same horse or stand in the same line as me - really, don't.) they used,IIRC, form W8-BEN.

It basically says "Don't tax me, I'm Johnny Foreigner and I live in a country which has a tax treaty with you."
Old Sep 13th 2008, 6:51 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

And credit it to..... who? what?
there you go ...
Attached Thumbnails Opening Bank Account without SSN-scan0001.jpg  
Old Sep 13th 2008, 7:01 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
there you go ...
I'm not disbelieving you, just curious about where the money goes.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 7:09 am
Ray

I'm not disbelieving you, just curious about where the money goes.
presumably to to the tax man ...
Old Sep 13th 2008, 3:36 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

A clued up branch of Citibank will give you a checking account and secured credit card without a SSN. They will then hose you because they are all bastards...
Old Oct 4th 2008, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

mister D is an unknown quantity at this point

I got around it this way (without a SSN): I opened an account in the UK with HSBC, once that was up and running, I walked into a USA HSBC branch and opened an account there and then, it took about an hour, and i had to have passport, proof of address (take in a statement of UK acct), and i provided a temporary USA address. They gave me a similar status acct to my UK one.

You then have to apply through the branch for a number to access internet banking, as it requires a SSN on website.

Apparently you can get a USA HSBC acct from your UK address, but it's a bit more complicated. HSBC in the UK can process it for you though, it costs £100 and takes 4 wks.

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

What i am now seeking to do, is be approved for a car lease without a SSN - does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Old Oct 5th 2008, 4:47 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need a SSN to open an account, you just need proof that you are who you say you are, if the bank gives you trouble, go to another branch.

BoA, TD Bank, Citizens, they'll all sort you out. Don't bother with Sovereign, as they are going out of business.

Car lease, as with most things, drop enough of a deposit and they won't care. But a car lease, in Mass at least is a bit shit, because you'll never return the car in a few years in mint shape, well if your in Boston.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 4:53 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mister D
What i am now seeking to do, is be approved for a car lease without a SSN - does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
try international autosource for a car lease. we sorted out the car etc before we arrived and had ssn's there.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 8:36 am
Just Joined

thanks MsELui for the info on Autosource, that's really helpful, i'm on their website right now!
Old Oct 5th 2008, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

Trekguy is on a distinguished road

I opened an account with National City with a UK permanent address combined with a US mailing address and they used all 0's as a SSN then phoned them and got the internet banking set up and a nice interest rate for the savings too.