Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What Do You Do For 4th Of July

What Do You Do For 4th Of July

Old Oct 5th 2008, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

LivAtl is on a distinguished road
Cool What Do You Do For 4th Of July

Ive been here twice now for 4th of july and I was wonderign what you guys do for it? Do you go out with the rest of local populace , also what do you guys say when people say stuff about you being british etc.

This year I was at a party in a gated community at a friends house and they have a open area and they had a band one of the people I know though him told me to go request God Save The Queen and ask them for the back taxes.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 8:26 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Do You Do For 4th Of July

I remember our first year in Tampa we spent $150 on fireworks went out into the street at 7pm expecting crowds of people and finding sod all anyone. it ended up us letting of the fireworks by ourselves. So now we get a good bottle of scotch and a movie and have a damn good time.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 9:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Get drunk with the rest of them?
Old Oct 5th 2008, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

LivAtl is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bob
Get drunk with the rest of them?
Thnkas for the Input bob and thanks for taking the time to tell me yoru experiences.

I was looking to see if anyone had come accross any negativity at these events?
Old Oct 5th 2008, 10:28 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LivAtl
Thnkas for the Input bob and thanks for taking the time to tell me yoru experiences.

In the 11 years we've lived here we've never experienced any negativity directed at us at July 4th events.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

It's not like May Day in Europe. Most Americans don't even associate Independence Day with the British and could care less if you want to put on a kilt and sing "God Save the Queen" on a street corner.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
It's not like May Day in Europe. Most Americans don't even associate Independence Day with the British and could care less if you want to put on a kilt and sing "God Save the Queen" on a street corner.
For what it's worth - as an American I agree with this 100%. The 4th of July is about celebrating our country, and what it is to be an American. I'm sure closer to the Revolution the sentiments may have been different ... but it's been 200+ years and we've moved on.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 11:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LivAtl

Well there's been loads of threads every year on the subject....but anyway...I don't think most people could care less if your a Brit or not, you might get a bit of a ribbing from a few drunk plonkers but then they'd give you the same hassle regardless...a lot of the meaning behind the holiday is lost these days, it's just become a holiday and a chance to have a bit of a bbq party etc.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 11:02 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Mow the lawn in a beautiful brassed buttoned red tunic.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Answer questions like "so what do you do in England to celebrate the 4th July?"

We usually have a big "thank god we got rid of you lot" BBQ and invite friends and neighbours over who see the funny side (when it's explained!!). Try to get as drunk as possible before maiming as many kids as we can with fireworks
One year we had 3 police cars outside our house (the "city" where we were living in only had 3 police cars)...I blamed the Aussies we invited...they're always trouble
Old Oct 5th 2008, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

Marty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lisa67
Answer questions like "so what do you do in England to celebrate the 4th July?"
There's a 4th July party in my home-town in Northern Ireland every year called the Eagle Wing festival. We have a parade and everything.

Anyone who kicks the English out is OK by us.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 11:37 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

I came here on the 3rd of July and the next day (the day in question) we had a parade in my honor (Joke) all the kids dressed up and the local fire engine and a few police cars followed them around....then we all burned a british person and I put on a yank accent....
Old Oct 6th 2008, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

we used to climb up on the patio roof and watch the fireworks, but they've changed the location and our mesquite tree has grown so much we can't see them any more. Now I just sit indoors, avoiding the mosquitoes and random gunfire. Too bloody hot here in July for barbecues.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 1:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

I know its a small point, but why are we talking about the 4th July on the 5th OCTOBER !!
But as you have asked nicely.....I went into a shop the next day and was asked if I had a good 4th July to which I replied 'NO' she looked quite shocked, until I said 'I was on the losing side'
Old Oct 6th 2008, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

Marty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
I went into a shop the next day and was asked if I had a good 4th July to which I replied 'NO' she looked quite shocked, until I said 'I was on the losing side'
Wow, you're old.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.