Opening Bank Account without SSN

Wikiposts

Opening Bank Account without SSN

Old Sep 12th 2008, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

movingtomass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Opening Bank Account without SSN

Hi all,

We are planning on moving to MA in 2011. Going to the states in a few weeks and was wanting to open a bank account to start building up a credit history in the US.

I was born in Miami, so I have an American passport, but I moved back to the UK when I was 3 so I have no SSN. I am actually in the process of getting school records and doctors letter to say I have been resident here since I was 3 to send off to get one.

So questions

Can I open a bank account without the SSN? With a UK address?
Is it only certain banks that this will be ok with?
Will this actually help with my credit history?
The plan was to also open a credit card eventually too. will this also work with a UK address or will I have to tie it up with my OH's parent's house in Florida?

Help much appreciated!
Old Sep 12th 2008, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

powerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nice
Default Re: Opening Bank Account without SSN

Well Fargo have an office in Canary Wharf run by a really nice guy. He'll do it without an SSN.

Send me your e mail address and i'll send his name, phone number and some other bits over,

Cheers

Darren
Old Sep 13th 2008, 1:31 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i opened a bank account without a ssn - but we had a US address (think it went to husbands job til we found a rental). the missing ssn isnt an issue - more likely to be the uk address thats an issue.

but it wont help your credit history as thats all based on the ssn.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 1:33 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

if you have an american passport then you are a citizen and shouldnt have to prove anything. Try the ssn office at the london embassy - I would expect they would be able to find out an ssn for you.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 1:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movingtomass

Can I open a bank account without the SSN? With a UK address?
Is it only certain banks that this will be ok with?
Will this actually help with my credit history?
The plan was to also open a credit card eventually too. will this also work with a UK address or will I have to tie it up with my OH's parent's house in Florida?

Help much appreciated!

Bank account won't really help you with developing a credit history. When a lender looks into loaning you credit, they are looking at your history of making payments & how much debt load you have with respect to income (& lots of other factors I won't begin to understand). To open a credit card or loan to get that credit going, you will need a SSN, as that's how your info is tracked. I think a lot of expats have stated that several months after arriving, they talk to their bank about getting a secured card (w/like a $500 limit) that they use it for so many months (to get that payment history going), and then apply for an unsecured credit card.

You mentioned your in-laws. Do they live in the US? Do they already have any US credit cards? More importantly, do they have good credit here? If they already have a good credit history here, then you could ask them to add you to a card or two as an authorized user or as a joint applicant. Or maybe even ask them to be a co-applicant for a loan/credit card. Then you make small purchases and pay it off. After a few months or a year, this would really begin to establish your credit history by the time you get here in 2011.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 1:53 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13

You mentioned your in-laws. Do they live in the US? Do they already have any US credit cards? More importantly, do they have good credit here? If they already have a good credit history here, then you could ask them to add you to a card or two as an authorized user or as a joint applicant. Or maybe even ask them to be a co-applicant for a loan/credit card. Then you make small purchases and pay it off. After a few months or a year, this would really begin to establish your credit history by the time you get here in 2011.
but only if you give the bank the ssn number.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

powerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nice

Guys, i'm going to disagree.

Wells Fargo will also give you a secured credit card that will ( according to them) build your credit history in the US.

Just to clarify, they WILL open an account without a US address or SSN.

This account is set up primarily for people that are moving to the US in the up coming years but at this moment reside in the UK.

That's it !
Old Sep 13th 2008, 2:32 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

id love to know how they are going to do that - because everyone who you ask to give you credit in n the future will want an ssn number to check your credit history - not the telephone number for a guy in wells fargo (if you know what i mean). The only way I can think of is to retrospectivly update your ssn/credit history once you give it to wells fargo.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of

Two data points:

1. We moved to Massachusetts four years ago, and had no problem opening an account before I had an SSN assigned. A colleague also had no problem, despite not having a (semi)permanent US address.

2. After four years of living here, passing $$$ through a bank account, paying utilities etc., so far as I can tell I have a non-existent credit rating. I've replied to credit card offers from my bank for a laugh, and they tell me to sod off. Other than depriving me of the opportunity to give a bank some money, this has had zero impact on my life. (I'm sure secured lending would be a different story - my colleague was able to get a mortgage for example).
Old Sep 13th 2008, 5:43 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rew1000
Two data points:

1. We moved to Massachusetts four years ago, and had no problem opening an account before I had an SSN assigned. A colleague also had no problem, despite not having a (semi)permanent US address.

2. After four years of living here, passing $$$ through a bank account, paying utilities etc., so far as I can tell I have a non-existent credit rating. I've replied to credit card offers from my bank for a laugh, and they tell me to sod off. Other than depriving me of the opportunity to give a bank some money, this has had zero impact on my life. (I'm sure secured lending would be a different story - my colleague was able to get a mortgage for example).
Thats cos you have not used any credit ....
I'm the same after 12 year here ...never borrowed money or loan or got a car on credit ..
Old Sep 13th 2008, 5:55 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

yes - all we have here so far is a car lease - and that was enough to give my husband a 700 rating within 6 months.
nothing else here apart from utilities.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 6:19 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by powerwrap
This account is set up primarily for people that are moving to the US in the up coming years but at this moment reside in the UK.
Banks won't open an interest bearing account without an SSN or ITIN.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
the only way I can think of is to retrospectivly update your ssn/credit history once you give it to wells fargo.
That is exactly right.

I am in the UK and have a US$ credit card (with HSBC NYC). The bank have said as soon as I get my SSN they will supply all the back history of this card to the credit rating agencies.

To the OP, get an Amex credit card ASAP. They have a system called global transfer. Get an account in the UK and the will open an account for you as soon as you move to the USA - for free! They seem to give out US$ 5k limits from day 1.

Also, if you got more then £50k to invest / save consider HSBC Premier service.

Last edited by cranston; Sep 13th 2008 at 6:31 am.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 6:28 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Banks won't open an interest bearing account without an SSN or ITIN.
Wrong ...Suntrust did ...
Old Sep 13th 2008, 6:34 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Wrong ...Suntrust did ...
Y'don't say. How did they handle the required tax reporting? Didn't they request a form W-9?
I guess there are few absolutes left in life...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.