Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Open University

Open University

Old Oct 26th 2009, 7:57 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Open University

Interesting. Might it be fair to say that there are two kinds of jobs?

Ones where the degree matters - in which case employers may be expected to differentiate between institutions.

And ones where it's just a bullshit HR requirement, in which case you could have a certificate written in crayon on arsewipe for all the employer cares.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 8:04 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse

Ones where the degree matters - in which case employers may be expected to differentiate between institutions.

And ones where it's just a bullshit HR requirement, in which case you could have a certificate written in crayon on arsewipe for all the employer cares.
...hmmm.... and we have a laminator at work too...
Old Oct 26th 2009, 8:07 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tonrob
...hmmm.... and we have a laminator at work too...
Best be careful not to write "Not valid if laminated" on the back then.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 8:23 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Best be careful not to write "Not valid if laminated" on the back then.
Bugger! I'll have to make another one...
Old Oct 26th 2009, 8:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If I were forced to get a sodding degree just in order to be able to land a bloody job that I was perfectly capable of doing anyway, then I'd be wanting to get one the cheapest, quickest and most hassle-free way.
but if you've got loads of experience, most decent uni's would let you use that in lieu of studying and you'd then just have to do the final years worth of exams....usually...
Old Oct 26th 2009, 8:38 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

If I were forced to get a sodding degree just in order to be able to land a bloody job that I was perfectly capable of doing anyway, then I'd be wanting to get one the cheapest, quickest and most hassle-free way.

Yes, that's what I'm getting at. caleyjag, not for being a rocket surgeon, but for those 'other' jobs out there that have no real need for a degree. Especially unrelated to the field.
Sorry for the threadjack.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 12:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
Of course they do.

If you have a degree from a proper well-known university, that is infinitely more valuable than University of Phoenix.

Getting a degree from University of Phoenix is a bit like getting a gondola ride in Vegas and saying you've been to Venice.

It's the scientology of further education. Ubiquitous, yet totally lacking in character or value. It exists solely to suck the money out of idiots. Worthless.

Bunch of charlatans.
Tell us you really think.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Tell us you really think.
I try!

More usefully, I think community college might be the solution to the problem here. Cheap, legit and they often offer a well-worn path to transfer credits to a better university, should she choose to go that way down the line. Some of them even have character.

I just hate 'University' of Pheonix. I think they should be banned from putting their signs on the side of the motorway. It's false advertising.

Last edited by caleyjag; Oct 27th 2009 at 3:03 am.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 3:14 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

I try!

More usefully, I think community college might be the solution to the problem here. Cheap, legit and they often offer a well-worn path to transfer credits to a better university, should she choose to go that way down the line. Some of them even have character.
That's what I am doing. Two years at CC then transferring. At $50 per credit hour compared to the approx $300+ per credit hour Phoenix charges it wins on cost hands down. Plus I've got far more classes to choose from, and am getting a really good education. Had two PHD professors teach two of my classes last semester and I have some stellar teachers for my 4 classes this semester too.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 3:38 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I just hate 'University' of Pheonix. I think they should be banned from putting their signs on the side of the motorway. It's false advertising.
They have a campus by I-95 just past Burlington down my way...

but yeah, generally a bit iffy.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I try!

Me too. My wife wanted to do the University of Pheonix while on maternity leave, I put an end to that thought real fast.

I prefer Community College then transfer approach. Everyone only cares about the school name anyway.