Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Open return tickets?

Open return tickets?

Old Jul 1st 2015, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

judesM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Open return tickets?

Anyone know much about this method? or should i just buy a one way ticket? my sister in the UK is very ill and Im looking to stay as long as I need to. I have a current UK passport and married, living in US to a US citizen.

Never done this before so just wondering how the best way to go about this and if there are easier airlines to do this through. thanks!
Old Jul 1st 2015, 7:28 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Open return tickets?

A one way ticket will cost you twice the price of a 6 month return.

Call the airline and ask for their recommendations.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Open returns can be costly too. Best advice is to get a long return and try to change the date later. If you can't then just get another return when it's time to come home. It could well be a lot cheaper!
Old Jul 1st 2015, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Tom1981 is an unknown quantity at this point

Agreed - we bought a return instead of a one-way when coming over to the US, but then we knew the dates we wanted to go back for at Christmas (and then used Avios for the return leg).

Airlines generally have semi-flexible tickets that permit date changes for a fee, which would still be cheaper than buying a single journey (from memory, BA charged approx. $300 for the change). Best thing to do is call the airline directly, or get a travel agent to compare airlines - explain your situation, and hopefully they'll find a decent deal for you.

I hope your sister is ok - safe travels.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

judesM is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the advice everyone. much appreciated.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 10:20 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

What's your status in the USA? Do you have a green card? If so, is it 2-year or 10-year? I know you want to stay in the UK as long as it takes, just be aware of things you can do to protect your US PR status while outside the USA, and what can happen if you're gone too long.

Rene
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

OCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond repute

Just get a normal return as others have advised with an approximate return date and then change the return date when you know for a small fee. I have done this a few times with Virgin tickets LA to Heathrow and been charged $75 for the date change but make sure date change is possible on your ticket....

Originally Posted by judesM
Anyone know much about this method? or should i just buy a one way ticket? my sister in the UK is very ill and Im looking to stay as long as I need to. I have a current UK passport and married, living in US to a US citizen.

Never done this before so just wondering how the best way to go about this and if there are easier airlines to do this through. thanks!