Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Foreign credential evaluation service

Foreign credential evaluation service

Old Jun 29th 2015, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

Suz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Foreign credential evaluation service

Can anyone recommend a foreign credential evaluation service they have used recently? Specifically I'm looking for one which will be accepted by the Department of Education in NJ. I've looked on their website but they just state to use any one from the yellow pages or the Internet.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 1:26 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foreign credential evaluation service

Ask the people that you are preparing the documents for.
i.e. ask the Department of Education in NJ.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 2:16 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

as you've probably discovered, there are loads of companies out there that will do this service. As kimilseung says you need to ask the place you are going to study at. ie. the campus admissions office and ask them which service they prefer. It could be that the NJ dept of Education is not allowed to specifically name a company or it could be that all the different colleges/schools differ in the one they like.

Don't go ahead without asking the college directly since it may well be a waste of money. If they still won't name a company then https://www.wes.org/ is a good one and you could ask if that is one they will accept.

also, if it's a major college they may well have in-house evaluators. So, ask for international admissions or non-traditional admissions if you are already resident in the USA.

This may also be useful guide as to what colleges are looking for in international students. It gives a good overview of what is acceptable for college admissions
http://www.ncaapublications.com/sear...onal+Standards

Last edited by petitefrancaise; Jun 29th 2015 at 2:19 am.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

I used ECE. But each institution usually specifies their preferred evaluator and may or may not accept others.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

LJSassy is a jewel in the roughLJSassy is a jewel in the roughLJSassy is a jewel in the roughLJSassy is a jewel in the rough

I used a company called Spantran just last week as I was offered a job within my local school district. I paid extra to have the process speeded up. I submitted my information & request on Wednesday early afternoon and received the qualification evaluation before 11am the following day. Would highly recommend this company. Good luck.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 4:11 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

No!! Spantran were contracted by our school district to evaluate foreign students education.. kids come from all over the world to our school. They were terrible. Inaccurate and made very simple errors in translation. After about 3 months and many families disputing succesfully the assesments made by this company, the school district stopped using them and threw out the assesments.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

LJSassy is a jewel in the roughLJSassy is a jewel in the roughLJSassy is a jewel in the roughLJSassy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
No!! Spantran were contracted by our school district to evaluate foreign students education.. kids come from all over the world to our school. They were terrible. Inaccurate and made very simple errors in translation. After about 3 months and many families disputing succesfully the assesments made by this company, the school district stopped using them and threw out the assesments.

I didn't use the company for the exact same purpose as your school district.

I was getting my own degree evaluated for employment purposes. For what i needed they were excellent. I am sorry you had issues with them.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

Suz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I should have made it clear that I already have a degree and teaching PGCE, I've no intention of doing any further study!

I need to have my qualifications evaluated so that I will be able to teach here. NJ Education Dept is not allowed to give specific recommendations for companies, which is why I am asking on here.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LJSassy
I used a company called Spantran just last week as I was offered a job within my local school district. I paid extra to have the process speeded up. I submitted my information & request on Wednesday early afternoon and received the qualification evaluation before 11am the following day. Would highly recommend this company. Good luck.
Thanks for the info! Did you have to provide them with a transcript of your degree?
Old Jun 29th 2015, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

No transcript required. I just had to attach a copy of my Degree Certificate and then fill in the details online of the University I attended. For me, it was over 15 years ago, and the building I attended was pulled down 10 years ago. I still got my evaluation in less than 24 hours - i paid extra as wanted the results quickly so I could formally be offered & accept the position. My first job application, first interview & first job offer :-)

Good luck, I hope all goes smoothly.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

That's good to know, thank you! There is no rush for me, I just want it so I can do substitute teaching come September. Congrats on the job and good luck!
Old Jun 30th 2015, 12:26 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LJSassy
My first job application, first interview & first job offer :-)
Congratulations, that's not easy!
Old Jun 30th 2015, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by username.exe
Congratulations, that's not easy!
Thank you, looking forward to the next chapter of my American adventure.
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 10:58 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I used FIS (One of those recommended by the issuing body) to have my qualification assessed, to get my Washington State teaching certification.
https://www.fis-web.com/

Last edited by kimilseung; Jul 2nd 2015 at 11:02 pm.