Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Only 10 Days Vacation per year

Only 10 Days Vacation per year

Old Feb 29th 2012, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Only 10 Days Vacation per year

The financial industry is pretty good with vacation days, too - at least the european firms are. I get 35 days plus all federal holidays. Many banks also have a rule that you have to take 10 consecutive days off per year. The thinking behind that is that is fraud prevention - but who cares, I like being "forced" to take a real vacation each year.....
Old Feb 29th 2012, 12:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by essexnick
I have to laugh and cry at the poor vacation allowance you get in America.
It always amazes me that so many people whinge at the thought of not getting the same vacation allowance that they were used to in some foreign country.

I need my work / social life balance back again.
Am I missing something? Oh... wait, there's that pesky thing called "The American Dream" that foreigners all want but whinge about when they have the opportunity!

Ian
Old Feb 29th 2012, 12:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
US: New Year's Day, MLK Day (maybe), President's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving (2), Christmas Day = 8 or 9. I guess federal employees also get Columbus Day (?) and Veterans Day.
Also they don't have to be offered and they don't have to be paid time off if they are offered.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 1:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
If you're lucky enough to work for a company that observes that many US bank holidays. Mine only allows six: New Year's Day; Memorial Day; Independence Day; Labour Day; Thanksgiving DAY (note just the one) and Christmas Day.
Yeah, the missus only gets 4 of them off...also new hires aren't allowed to take a PTO day a day before or after to extend their holiday either.

She does have pretty decent holiday allowance though, but then shes in the management tier of benefits.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

njmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nice

The one thing that nobody has mentioned yet, and for most of us Ex-Pats its a pretty big one is that the salaries we earn here in the US in most cases far exceed those that we were earning in the UK (for what is in many cases the same or similar work).

Given that trade off, would you sacrifice 3 of your 5 week vacation allowance for an extra $30k?

I have friends who have made the trip over here for that exact same reason.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

frankig is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=essexnick;9926692]So for any of you who are living in the UK, please consider something that may not be a big deal at the time, but will eat away at you over time living in the USA....Vacation allowance.

Another way this supposedly great country is behind. And yes, it eats away at you.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 2:20 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by njmackem
The one thing that nobody has mentioned yet, and for most of us Ex-Pats its a pretty big one is that the salaries we earn here in the US in most cases far exceed those that we were earning in the UK (for what is in many cases the same or similar work).

Given that trade off, would you sacrifice 3 of your 5 week vacation allowance for an extra $30k?

I have friends who have made the trip over here for that exact same reason.
But as we keep on hashing out in various threads, the calculation is so much more complex than just comparing salaries; US property taxes are often many times higher than (whatever the UK equivalent, I've forgotten,) out-of-pocket heath costs can be $12,000+ per family; if you live in the north-eastern US you may be paying $10,000+ per annum in energy costs; if you have to drive tens of thousands of miles a year here, it could be that your vehicle costs are higher in the US than the UK..

But even just basic salary, I'm probably earning less here than I would be in the UK; but I came here for family reasons, not career-related..
Old Feb 29th 2012, 2:31 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

This is one of the reasons I am dreading going to back to work over here. Hubby has retained his UK holiday allowance of 5 weeks as he has been with his company so long plus he gets the public holidays. The dude gets lovely long summer holidays, spring break, thanksgiving, christmas etc. If I return to work with minimal holidays, the dude will be on his own during holidays - he is 13 now so has 'aged out' of a lot of kids programs and my vacation time will be swallowed up with one trip. I certainly won't be wasting that on a trip back to the UK to appease the family!! Oh yeah and if they think they are coming over here for a month I won't be using my holiday time for that either!!

Am just going to have to come up with a million dollar 'work from home' plan and be my own boss. Crocheted scarf anyone??
Old Feb 29th 2012, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
US property taxes are often many times higher than (whatever the UK equivalent
Isn't a lot of that because certain states - like New Hampshire and New Jersey to a certain extent - have lower income and sales tax rates (none in the case of NH). This is based on the lie that you can live in an advanced 1st world country without having to pay out $$$'s for government and services. Instead the burden gets put on the property taxes which then go up to silly levels (in NJ the problem is worse because of the sheer number of municipalities and school districts). In the UK the taxes are countrywide and broad based so the council tax is comparatively small (I think also because our schools tend to be larger and more centralised they are much cheaper to run but I could be wrong on that)

if you live in the north-eastern US you may be paying $10,000+ per annum in energy costs
That sounds high - what is included in the $10,000 - heating, electric, air conditioning etc?
Old Feb 29th 2012, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

I always thought it was common knowledge that holiday entitlement in the US is low compared to the UK. As part of my research before coming I looked at all that and decided it wasn't that big of a deal and certainly not a deciding factor. If I really needed more time I'd take unpaid leave or work something out. The fact that I can be outdoors virtually every weekend of the year and most evenings was far more important to me: it's like having a mini-vacation every week! How often can you do that in the UK?
Old Feb 29th 2012, 3:15 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markwm
I always thought it was common knowledge that holiday entitlement in the US is low compared to the UK. As part of my research before coming I looked at all that and decided it wasn't that big of a deal and certainly not a deciding factor. If I really needed more time I'd take unpaid leave or work something out. The fact that I can be outdoors virtually every weekend of the year and most evenings was far more important to me: it's like having a mini-vacation every week! How often can you do that in the UK?
Depends where you live. From my perspective, I could be outdoors and enjoy it almost every day of the year in the UK because of the comparatively warm winters. Here in the US northeast, enjoyment of the outdoors is severely restricted because of the profoundly cold winters and the unpleasantly hot and buggy summers.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Depends where you live. From my perspective, I could be outdoors and enjoy it almost every day of the year in the UK because of the comparatively warm winters. Here in the US northeast, enjoyment of the outdoors is severely restricted because of the profoundly cold winters and the unpleasantly hot and buggy summers.
Fair point though I've never quite understood leaving one cold country for another, even colder! My moving choices were always predicated on copious amounts of sunshine and warm weather (though I have to say that LA was a tad chilly this morning).
Old Feb 29th 2012, 3:21 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Isn't a lot of that because certain states - like New Hampshire and New Jersey to a certain extent - have lower income and sales tax rates (none in the case of NH). This is based on the lie that you can live in an advanced 1st world country without having to pay out $$$'s for government and services. Instead the burden gets put on the property taxes which then go up to silly levels (in NJ the problem is worse because of the sheer number of municipalities and school districts). In the UK the taxes are countrywide and broad based so the council tax is comparatively small (I think also because our schools tend to be larger and more centralised they are much cheaper to run but I could be wrong on that)

That sounds high - what is included in the $10,000 - heating, electric, air conditioning etc?
Heating oil and electricity. We don't have air conditioning. Heating oil this winter will be about $8,000 (oil is now over $4 per gallon.) Our electricity is between $1,500 and $2,000 per year.

Yes, I believe you are about right in your analysis of why property taxes are high. I would push it further, and say that because of unrealistic expectations & unfunded mandates, states, counties and localities have to add fees etc that nickel & dime us to death. Plus, more and more $160 road traffic fines that are apparently part of state's fiscal strategy these days.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 3:22 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I've never quite understood leaving one cold country for another, even colder!
You've obviously not met my wife ...

This discussion is more of a one for the career-based visa people, I suppose. However, while sacrificing three weeks of wonderful leave for a bit of rumpy-pumpy may be 'worth it' in the long run, but one can still pine for the best of both worlds, can't one?
Old Feb 29th 2012, 3:24 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Fair point though I've never quite understood leaving one cold country for another, even colder! My moving choices were always predicated on copious amounts of sunshine and warm weather (though I have to say that LA was a tad chilly this morning).
I do agree with you and would have liked to give the west coast a go. But my wife, a Bronx native, has an irrational contempt for everything to do with the west coast.. probably a consequence of watching too many Woody Allen films at an impressionable age.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.