Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Only 10 Days Vacation per year

Only 10 Days Vacation per year

Old Mar 1st 2012, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Only 10 Days Vacation per year

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
....oh ...and I get a public holiday off on Friday this week. It is Texas Independance Day!!! Another 3 day weekend is just what I'm ready for
How does Texas Independence work?

Is this the same Texas that was an independent state for about 9 years then begged to join the Union because it was broke? The same Texas that rejoices in being independent of the electrical grid of the rest of the USA but can't now generate enough electricity to meet its needs? Is it that Texas?

Anyway, enjoy the long weekend!
Old Mar 1st 2012, 11:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider

Is this the same Texas that was an independent state for about 9 years then begged to join the Union because it was broke? The same Texas that rejoices in being independent of the electrical grid of the rest of the USA but can't now generate enough electricity to meet its needs? Is it that Texas?

Hey..it's a day off. Who am I to question it
Old Mar 1st 2012, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by essexnick
Food is really expensive in California. I was amazed how cheap food is still in the UK when I visited last month. I went to a pub with my Dad and I paid 3.50 GBP in Lincolnshire for a roast dinner with all the trimmings. I had pie with 2 scoops of mash, liquor and a cup of tea twice with my Mum and it was only 5.20GBP total. I was shocked. I actually asked the girl if she added it up correctly. I also got a huge 1LB Melton Mowbray Pork Pie for 3.20GBP. Bread in Asda was 0.80p or less. I pay $3 to $4 in Safeway. Clothes also cheap.
Yeah but remember the average salary in the East Midlands is something in the region of £18,321 Vs $49,550 in California - then you have to factor in the lower tax rate. So given that you would expect to see a large disparity in prices between those in $'s in Cali and those in GBP in Lincolnshire. So for example Scotland seemed really cheap to me going to uni there - but it ain't as cheap if you are actually living there and earning the average. $3 to $4 for bread sounds expensive to me and it isn't what I pay (when I actually buy bread) but people round here (outside of the Boston metro) don't earn as Californians so the prices are correspondingly lower (plus the supermarket I go to is where all the people on food-stamps go).

However - even taking that into consideration - 3.50 for an entire roast dinner does sound like a blinder of a deal. Was it actually edible?
Old Mar 1st 2012, 12:19 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree with the OP.

I had to work a year before I got 5 days, and 3 years before I got 10 days.

Noone here believes how much vacation I was used to in England. They literally think I am making it up.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

frankig is an unknown quantity at this point

England gave me more time with friends and family to build my character, traits, personality, identity, humour etc whatever you want to call it, something that I am slowly losing here and lately I am realising it more and more. Travel broadens the mind, but there is something to be said being amongst your own ones.

I completely agree with everything you say. It's so hard to deal with aging parents, homesickness etc but not have the time to go home. I think I have shrunk as a person since living here, I feel like a zombie. My family did try living in England and my USC husband said he felt like a zombie there. When you fall in love you don't think of having to give up these things, like you said, it's an adventure, now it's closer to a prison sentence.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 3:10 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frankig
England gave me more time with friends and family to build my character, traits, personality, identity, humour etc whatever you want to call it, something that I am slowly losing here and lately I am realising it more and more. Travel broadens the mind, but there is something to be said being amongst your own ones.

I completely agree with everything you say. It's so hard to deal with aging parents, homesickness etc but not have the time to go home. I think I have shrunk as a person since living here, I feel like a zombie. My family did try living in England and my USC husband said he felt like a zombie there. When you fall in love you don't think of having to give up these things, like you said, it's an adventure, now it's closer to a prison sentence.
I agree, except I could have been out for good behavior on a murder charge by now.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 3:37 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frankig
England gave me more time with friends and family to build my character, traits, personality, identity, humour etc whatever you want to call it...
Respectfully, I suggest you had these virtues long before you ever went out into the work force. To blame a lack of vacation time on your losing them is totally absurd.

Ian
Old Mar 1st 2012, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Hey..it's a day off. Who am I to question it
Yup - that's a bloody good point!!!

Enjoy
Old Mar 1st 2012, 8:28 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider

Used to live in Massachusetts.. they have a holiday called "Patriot's Day." Some folk in MA vaguely question; "We have a public holiday to honor a football team? What the..??" But everyone gladly takes the day anyway..
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I get 23 days holiday per year plus public holidays.

Goes up to 28 days a year after 5 years (I'm nearly there), then 33 days a year after 10 years.

Needless to say we have a lot of very long-serving employees working there. It's not public sector either.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
I live a bit further out in Worcester County - so it does get unpleasantly humid out here. My inclination (during the daytime) is to sweat it out and not turn the air-con on (except just before we go to bed) - but needless to say this doesn't wash with the misses. She is also similarly unimpressed when I tell her to go and chop some wood or do something energetic instead of cracking the thermostat to the upper 60s.
One bonus to Utah then - being a desert state, no humidity to speak of

I've been lucky enough to continue working on a contractor basis for my old employer on the Isle of Man, so my vacation days will be the ones I want to take and lose the pay for, rather than be limited by my employer - my wife is lucky enough to be up to 20 days vacation a year now, so we can match better.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 5:12 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Those complaining about vacation days are those lucky enough to have a job.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rallybug
I've been lucky enough to continue working on a contractor basis for my old employer on the Isle of Man, so my vacation days will be the ones I want to take and lose the pay for, rather than be limited by my employer - my wife is lucky enough to be up to 20 days vacation a year now, so we can match better.
I'm in a similar situation but employed by the US arm of a UK company so I get the 11 state and national holidays plus 21 days paid leave plus the holiday I didn't take from last year = 35 days paid vacation for 2012. Been there 6 years.

Wife is a teacher so gets the state holidays and the summer off (which she needs as it's a brutal job for the first few years)
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 5:25 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by essexnick
So for any of you who are living in the UK, please consider something that may not be a big deal at the time, but will eat away at you over time living in the USA....Vacation allowance.

I am a British Expat living in California. I start a new job next week after being unemployed for 8 months. And as much as I appreciate a new job, yet again I have to laugh and cry at the poor vacation allowance you get in America. Oh and I was told they usually only give new employees 5 days per year, but they wanted to give me 10 days. I should feel special I guess.

So if you live in the UK right now and get between 25 to 30 days per year holiday allowance, would you be willing to give that up and come to America to work 50 or 51 weeks of the year instead?

If you lose your job in the UK you can still get treated on the NHS for FREE. While in America you can be broke with no healthcare. A friend of mine who recently moved to America had to pay $125 doctors fee just to see him for 15 minutes for a antibiotic prescription for a cold virus. He was shocked. My reply was "Welcome to America".

My plan is to stay here for another 4-5 years while I finish University, pay off most of the house and wait for the housing market to rise/or rent our property.

I like many things about America, but I need my work / social life balance back again. Something which you already get while living in the UK. So please think ahead before moving to America.
Wise warning. I don't think that a lot of Brits and other Europeans realise how much more time you need to be prepared to work. It took me over a year to adjust to the longer working hours, never mind having far less holiday and if I get sick, any sick days eat away at the little annual leave I have.

Back home, asking my boss for a random week off was never a problem as long as it didn't clash with month end. In 9 year of living here, I have only taken 2 complete weeks off since I started work and that was to go on holiday.

Of course, if you were a workaholic in the UK, you most likely won't feel it. As for me, I'd rather work to live, not live to work. That is a balance missing from American society.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 10:21 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Workers taken ill on holiday will be given extra time off

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9119957/Workers-taken-ill-on-holiday-will-be-given-extra-time-off.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.