Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Online Shops were you can pick delivery date?

Online Shops were you can pick delivery date?

Old Jun 8th 2011, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

mattw89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Online Shops were you can pick delivery date?

Hi Everyone,

So for the apartment I am having to furnish from scratch, the other thread has provided me with a lot of websites to look at;

Overstock.com
Target.com
Bedbathandbeyond.com
Amazon.com
Ikea.com
Potterybarn.com
Crateandbarrel.com
Cb2.com
Restorationhardware.com
kohls.com
ebates.com - quidco
arhaus.com - expensive
videoonly.com
walmart.com
jcpenny.com
sears.com

But I just wondered, do any of you know if you can choose the delivery date on any of these or have you ever had this. I have just tried ikea and it looks like they just tell you when to expect it.

I am in the UK June-July, arriving to my apartment on July 6th. Therefore I was hoping to arrange all the essentials to be delivered on July 7th or 8th so I dont have too long with nothing there in regards to bed/sofa etc...
Old Jun 8th 2011, 11:45 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Online Shops were you can pick delivery date?

If you are really hardcore about ecommerce, get an Amazon prime account and all your stuff will come within 2 days, basically. Amazon US is quite extensive, branching into almost all areas such that many of the other things you listed you probably won't need.

Just place an order, get on the plane, and have it arrive the day after you get into your new place. Even if it happens to arrive in 1-day UPS will just take it back to the depot and attempt redelivery the next day (usually, though it kind of depends on the driver / type of order).
Old Jun 8th 2011, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

mattw89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by penguinsix
If you are really hardcore about ecommerce, get an Amazon prime account and all your stuff will come within 2 days, basically. Amazon US is quite extensive, branching into almost all areas such that many of the other things you listed you probably won't need.

Just place an order, get on the plane, and have it arrive the day after you get into your new place. Even if it happens to arrive in 1-day UPS will just take it back to the depot and attempt redelivery the next day (usually, though it kind of depends on the driver / type of order).
Thanks, I am aware of Amazon prime. I guess it is a possibility to just wait until 2 days prior and do it. Although I was hoping to kind of order and get it done before on a variety ofthose websites above and be able to say, deliver on 10th July for example.

For instance with Argos or groceries you can usually choose a specific date. Would just make me rest easy knowing a bed will arrive then etc..
Old Jun 8th 2011, 6:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattw89

For instance with Argos or groceries you can usually choose a specific date. Would just make me rest easy knowing a bed will arrive then etc..
Ah you're falling into the trap of thinking the US is the same as the UK. That's just one of the differences between the UK and US. Get used to it because there are a million more.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 7:29 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

On line store with a pickable delivery date
Old Jun 8th 2011, 9:13 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyonsden1193
On line store with a pickable delivery date
I wish! I can almost guarantee that any deliveries I make will come on the one day I'm gone all day, no matter which day I pick to go out.
This week I went for a walk around the block with Dd, our delivery came while we were out of the house for all of 20 minutes, I'd been in for a few days straight.
I come home and we never use the front door, so stuff sits out all night sometimes. It's good living in the back of beyond.
Maybe you could write your target/walmart list, and just go shopping after you get here, then you can have dishes, kettle etc ASAP.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 9:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Newegg too, really pushing their white goods store, so worth checking kitchen goods compared to Amazon.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 1:41 am
Just Joined

dyqik is an unknown quantity at this point

I landed in Boston on Wednesday last week, with an airbed and sleeping bag in my 2nd suitcase, an empty UK credit card, and a Zipcar card.

I rented the biggest zipcar near me on Thursday, drove to the nearest Ikea and bought 3 trolley loads of stuff. I drove one trolley load with mattress, bedding and other stuff that would fit, and got Ikea to deliver the rest (bed, drawers, kitchen table and chairs) the next day (would've been the next morning, but apparently the truck broke down, so it was 3pm the next day instead). This is probably the best option with Ikea, as it can be quite hard to tell the quality of their products from the website (the cheapest is often, but not always, too cheap).

I also managed to buy a sofa (much better than I expected for $35!), microwave, toaster and a bunch of kitchen utensils etc. off the outgoing tenants from my apartment, and my extremely nice landlord has lent me a dining table, chairs and a coffee table from the stuff he had stored in the basement. When you are hunting for apartments it's worth asking if there is someone moving out, and whether the landlord would contact them to see if there is anything they are intending to sell. It'll hopefully be cheap because they don't have to move it, and it'll probably do until you can shop properly.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

fashionista will become famous soon enoughfashionista will become famous soon enough

If you go to IKEA in Renton in person to buy your stuff, they can deliver it for you on the same day or the next day. You go round the store, pick out and pay for your items and then take them to the delivery desk which is just after the check outs. It's only a short drive from down town Seattle (you didn't mention where your apartment is).

If you get your mattress from Mattress King (http://www.mattressdepotusa.com/our_locations.htm) they do same day delivery.

If you want all your stuff within a couple of days of arrival - going round the stores in person is going to be the best way to do it. Be wary of the quality of stuff from Target - we bought a few things from there in our first week and ended up taking half of it back because the quality was so poor.

If you're looking at Crate and Barrel (my favourite store!), you can order over the phone and then agree a delivery date with them during the call, but my experience has been that they usually take about a week to deliver items to the Seattle area from their warehouse. Small items like lamps, cushions, etc, you can take home from the store that day.