Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

OMG!!! Just settled into Oz - hubby offered job in Salt Lake City!!!!!

OMG!!! Just settled into Oz - hubby offered job in Salt Lake City!!!!!

Old May 25th 2009, 9:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OMG!!! Just settled into Oz - hubby offered job in Salt Lake City!!!!!

Originally Posted by Craftymomma
Thanks so much Pam! So sorry to hear about Dolly, I had hoped to get to know her too!
Sandy is one of the places we were recommended to look so I would love to know more about it.
We are keeping an open mind about schools as we have 4 kids but certainly if we can't find an excellent state school then they will go to private schools.
Where in Scotland will you be visiting in July?
Deb
Private schools tend to be very expensive here. It's not just the fees either...it's the add ons and they expect a very healthy donation each year. As a rule of thumb an area that has high property taxes has the best schools...because the schools are mostly funded with property taxes.
Old May 25th 2009, 10:59 am
Just Joined

Craftymomma is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OMG!!! Just settled into Oz - hubby offered job in Salt Lake City!!!!!

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Private schools tend to be very expensive here. It's not just the fees either...it's the add ons and they expect a very healthy donation each year. As a rule of thumb an area that has high property taxes has the best schools...because the schools are mostly funded with property taxes.
are you in SLC too? Or do you mean in the US? thanks for the info we will take that into account. So much to think about!
Old May 25th 2009, 11:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

are you in SLC too? Or do you mean in the US? thanks for the info we will take that into account. So much to think about!
I'm in New Jersey.
Old May 25th 2009, 11:17 am
Just Joined

d_woo is an unknown quantity at this point

good luck with everything
Old May 25th 2009, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'm in New Jersey.
of course! That makes sense
Old May 25th 2009, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by d_woo
good luck with everything
Thank you!
Old May 25th 2009, 6:03 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Where in Scotland will you be visiting in July? Deb
Shall be in Kilmarnock and Banchory to visit family. The Open is happening in Turnberry so I gather I will be dragged there with beloved as well. I've made him go a week ahead of me as he wants a gathering with old Uni chums and as much as I like them, it gets a bit much. This way the man gets to walk down memory lane for a spell before I arrive.
Old May 27th 2009, 12:38 am
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, only just noticed that you resurrected my old thread. Well, we've been here for 8 months now and have settled up in Park City for many reasons. I researched schools heavily and would not live in Sandy/Draper area with kids to be honest, even if you can afford private school for four kids. That is, unless you are LDS and then you'll be fine. Ask away with questions or PM me if you like. Always happy to share our experiences (and yes, we have two kids, 8 and 11).

Pam, went away for long weekend, will reply to your message in half an hour or so

Lou
xx

This discussion has been fascinating, I find myself in a similar position. Hubby offered a job in Salt Lake City, we are currently researching areas and schools etc.

I would be so grateful for advice on schools in particular as the kids are my only concern really!