British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   OMG!!! Just settled into Oz - hubby offered job in Salt Lake City!!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/omg-just-settled-into-oz-hubby-offered-job-salt-lake-city-530007/)

Weasy Apr 17th 2008 1:06 pm

OMG!!! Just settled into Oz - hubby offered job in Salt Lake City!!!!!

As the title says, we are now in Oz (for 15 months from UK) and hubby's company has asked him to apply for quite a big promotion but it's based in Salt Lake City!!! Do any of you guys live in SLC, if so, what's it like there? Where are the 'good' areas? What are schools like.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lou
xx

Ray Apr 17th 2008 1:17 pm

Re: OMG!!! Just settled into Oz - hubby offered job in Salt Lake City!!!!!

Originally Posted by Weasy (Post 6222891)
As the title says, we are now in Oz (for 15 months from UK) and hubby's company has asked him to apply for quite a big promotion but it's based in Salt Lake City!!! Do any of you guys live in SLC, if so, what's it like there? Where are the 'good' areas? What are schools like.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lou
xx

The most populous city of the U.S.

Hope your a mormon

Weasy Apr 17th 2008 1:25 pm

And - have you lived/or even been there???

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 6222957)
The most populous city of the U.S.

Hope your a mormon

Ray Apr 17th 2008 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Weasy (Post 6222999)

I know a lady who does ...

Ozzidoc Apr 17th 2008 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Weasy (Post 6222999)

The search function can be helpful :)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...salt+lake+city

Weasy Apr 17th 2008 1:36 pm

Thanks Ozzidoc- forgot the search function in my moments of sheer panic...:ohmy:

Ozzidoc Apr 17th 2008 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Weasy (Post 6223052)
Thanks Ozzidoc- forgot the search function in my moments of sheer panic...:ohmy:

LOL - no worries :)

What an exciting time for you!!
I've not been to SLC, but have driven through and stayed in the southern part. Utah is beautiful! I'd have no qualms moving there :)

Tracym Apr 17th 2008 7:44 pm

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lou
xx

My grandparents lived there for a long time. And I also know someone who lives there.

Utah is beautiful. That said, I would never move there.

SLC is a huge percent Mormon, which is a religion I would certainly never care to join. And if you are not a Mormon, you will be quite the outsider there. I believe there is quite a tendency for the Mormons to only associate with other Mormons - so if you are not one, you may very will be quite isolated.

Ray Apr 17th 2008 7:48 pm

And you will be required to wear this underwear ...

http://listverse.com/wp-content/uplo...nunderwear.jpg

YankeemovingAbroad Apr 17th 2008 8:55 pm

Its possible to fit in just about any place if you want to bad enough and providing you have limitless patience.Having said that I agree with the opinions given to you thus far about the mormon dominated state of Utah.If I were you abit of research on that religion and on Utah in general would be in order.

I have family members who spent some time there.The general concensus of opinion was that Utah is a very very scenic state with amazing mountains views and many out door activities,SLC is especially beautiful.Its a medium income state with slightly higher than the national average poverty level.

People can be friendly once they get to know you better but because the Mormon church does play such a pivital role in most communities there you will find Utah as a whole to be clickish.Meaning if you are not a mormon then socializing will be far more difficult.It does help a great deal if you make the effort to join social clubs whether they be non religious or through the church.

Must be said if you are not a religious person Utah is going to seem like a state full of cult members.And speaking of cults,the Mormon religion does have some strange beliefs.Mormons believe that heaven is in Utah.Enough said on that topic:confused:

TruBrit Apr 17th 2008 9:05 pm

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lou
xx

hey count yourself lucky...the job could have been in houston :eek:

Weasy Apr 17th 2008 10:49 pm

Thanks for all your replies so far whether helpful, amusing or whatever :rofl:

I have had the dubious pleasure of finding myself conned into spending an afternoon in a mormon temple in Connecticut many years ago so the Mormon thing does concern me a little - however, as more than 50% of the city population itself is not Mormon then people who are not mormon must get along somehow.

I'd still be interested in opinions on areas to live in etc if anyone has any knowledge in this regard - and on schools.

Unfortunately this job may be too good an opportunity to pass up so it may be a matter of where in Salt Lake City we live not whether we live in Salt Lake City....

Lou
xx

oldskool Apr 18th 2008 12:19 am

I used to live in SLC. It's one of the nicest North American cities to live in (by comparison I am currently in San Francisco and have also lived in NY and Vancouver and travelled to 'everywhere').

I am going back there next week to see how I feel about the old place and perhaps move back to settle and ultimately retire. SLC is in the nicest, most beautiful state in the US and the cost of living is low.

If you can...I would jump at the opportunity to live there. Ever since I left I have wanted to go back.

Mormons are good people and good respectful neighbours. A lot is said about SLC and the mormons/mormon state and it isn't true. Don't be put off by mormons, but then again why should you be?

Even if you were, don't listen to anyone who tells you SLC is highly mormon. It actually isn't and only was when it was founded. In the 30's it had reduced to 50% mormon (actually LDS is the correct term nowadays) because it was such a nice place to live and nowadays it's about 40%. That statistic is backed up by plenty of census data online and I would say it's right and consistent with the neighbourhood I lived in. Of course, if you go up to Ogden where the Osmond's live these places beyond SLC are 90% LDS.

Don't listen to any of that 'I don't like the alcohol laws stuff either'. This state makes a whole lot of money from alcohol and while strict LDS frown upon it, downtown has great bars and the state maintained liquor stores are the best I've seen in North America.

oldskool Apr 18th 2008 12:22 am

Oh...good places to live. Sandy is arguably the nicest suburb. Sugarhouse is popular too. They used to say East of the interstate is the posher side, but South and West Jordan are very cheap with lots of nice new housing and neighbourhoods now.

You can also live in Park City if you care for the commute. Some winter days you won't get to work though.

Did I mention the skiing is the best in the world?

fatbrit Apr 18th 2008 12:23 am

Originally Posted by oldskool (Post 6225829)
I used to live in SLC. It's one of the nicest North American cities to live in (by comparison I am currently in San Francisco and have also lived in NY and Vancouver and travelled to 'everywhere').

I am going back there next week to see how I feel about the old place and perhaps move back to settle and ultimately retire. SLC is in the nicest, most beautiful state in the US and the cost of living is low.

If you can...I would jump at the opportunity to live there. Ever since I left I have wanted to go back.

Mormons are good people and good respectful neighbours. A lot is said about SLC and the mormons/mormon state and it isn't true. Don't be put off by mormons, but then again why should you be?

Even if you were, don't listen to anyone who tells you SLC is highly mormon. It actually isn't and only was when it was founded. In the 30's it had reduced to 50% mormon (actually LDS is the correct term nowadays) because it was such a nice place to live and nowadays it's about 40%. That statistic is backed up by plenty of census data online and I would say it's right and consistent with the neighbourhood I lived in. Of course, if you go up to Ogden where the Osmond's live these places beyond SLC are 90% LDS.

Don't listen to any of that 'I don't like the alcohol laws stuff either'. This state makes a whole lot of money from alcohol and while strict LDS frown upon it, downtown has great bars and the state maintained liquor stores are the best I've seen in North America.

So, any downside here?