Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Old dog ... new puppy and some very strange behavoir

Old dog ... new puppy and some very strange behavoir

Old Jun 25th 2005, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute
Default Old dog ... new puppy and some very strange behavoir

As some of you may know we lost our old lab last month she was 12 years old and hadnt been well for some time. Now she was an easy going old girl and when my jack russell Charlie arrived over here from England she took it all in her stride.

After much thought over breeds etc today we got a Aussie Shepherd / Lab cross, hes 9 weeks old and came from a shelter. Since hes been home poor Charlie has been acting very strangely, salivating, not wanting to eat, avoiding the pup and generally skulking about. Does anyone have any ideas if this is normal behavoir for Charlie ?? and if so how long until he gets back to his usual self.

thanks in advance

Jan
ohhhhhhh btw .. Charlie is still ball obsessed
Old Jun 25th 2005, 9:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old dog ... new puppy and some very strange behavoir

... sounds cute...any pics?

And aren't a lot of pets like that with a new addition? even with babies?
Old Jun 25th 2005, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

As requested pics of young Griswald and ooor Charlie
Attached Thumbnails Old dog ... new puppy and some very strange behavoir-griswald.jpg   Old dog ... new puppy and some very strange behavoir-chas.jpg  
Old Jun 25th 2005, 11:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

cute mutts

Well I hope they play nicely soon the hot weather can't be helping much...my rat's doing obscene things in front of the fan anyway *l*
Old Jun 26th 2005, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

He probably just feels a little left out because of the new pup(good looking dog by the way) and it may take him a little time to get use to the new house addition and the new energy he has.
Old Jun 26th 2005, 5:50 am
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all. I am new on here!!

When one of my two old cats died the other one looked for her for months. I got 2 abandoned kittens a month or so later, she ignored them and even hid from them for a few months. It just takes time, they miss their old friends and don't understand what the new one is doing there

Good luck
Old Jun 26th 2005, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

DEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Old dog ... new puppy and some very strange behavoir

Originally Posted by jan_michigan
... Since hes been home poor Charlie has been acting very strangely, salivating, not wanting to eat, avoiding the pup and generally skulking about. ...
Sounds just like a teenager in love - Harry Enfields "Kevin" comes to mind!

Hope Charlie is better soon.
Old Jun 26th 2005, 1:33 pm
thingluvthing2ringfingIdo

thing1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nice

Hi Jan,

I'm sorry to hear that your dog passed away. She was very sweet.

As for Charlie's behavior with the new puppy...don't worry too much unless he isn't drinking as well. Dogs can go for a spell without eating. Phoenix went for almost a whole week without eating much of anything when I went to Texas to visit my uncle and brought her with me. I even tried to bribe her with bacon and deli meat slices and she just wasn't interested.

He is just trying to express his displeasure with the new addition. Give him time. He may never entirely warm up to the new puppy as dogs can be very much like people and personalities sometimes clash. Just make sure you show him plenty of attention so he knows he hasn't been displaced entirely. Anxiety and frustration over a new addition can start showing up as other forms of behavior that is more destructive. I had a dog who would get mad at you and pick out something you loved to chew up to let you know how she felt. Urination on something you wouldn't expect wouldn't be out of the question either.

Be patient...even if he never warms up to the new puppy, he will eventually get used to him being there and learn to tolerate him. I'm not sure Phoenix, my 8 year old dachshund, would ever warm up to a new dog if we brought one home. Cats are okay...she likes to chase them...but another dog???!!! Her Majesty would never stand for it. lol

Good luck. I hope your furry children become fast friends evnetually.