Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

...oh, one of the things I don't like...

...oh, one of the things I don't like...

Old Oct 19th 2005, 6:55 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ...oh, one of the things I don't like...

Originally Posted by robousy
One if the things that REALLY drives me crazy over here is the frequencey and length of the freaking ADVERTS!

Its something like every 7 minutes with the ads lasting about 5 minutes!

Drives me insane.

Oh, and then the show will finish, there will be 5 mins of ads, then the CREDITS will roll, then another 5 mins of ads!

if you're gonna keep watching cable..GET USED TO IT

it's a pain in the butt too many times to get up and make a cuppa, grab a beer, make a snack...this may be the REAL reason America is FAT
Old Oct 19th 2005, 6:59 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

One if the things that REALLY drives me crazy over here is the frequencey and length of the freaking ADVERTS!

Drives me insane.

Oh, and then the show will finish, there will be 5 mins of ads, then the CREDITS will roll, then another 5 mins of ads!
I just don't watch the channels that go over the top with ads.. ........talking of ads...who saw the new Hummer ad with the monster having a baby Hummer3.......I thought it was sick myself........the thought of how the thing got out of it 'mummys' tummy put me off dinner.......
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

Mick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant future

Drives me insane.

Yes. But as someone whose name appears in the credits of a particular show, I know how much we rely on advertising to make our budget. We couldn't do it without our sponsors.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:02 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc111s
I don't understand, are you saying you don't own a replaytv, TIVO or other setup recorder. NO MORE ADVERTS....

I've been using them for over 3 years and if I really have to watch something live, I press pause when the ads come on. Most of the time, I watch stuff 20 mins after it's started and by the time it's finishing I'm LIVE - WITH NO ADVERTS

3 years ago when I brought it, my wife said to me - "this is the only gadget you've ever brought that I love"

There was talk that they are going to start putting ads on the screen while the show is on to get passed that.....BBCA....do it now with ads for their own shows...........and it drives me crazy........soon it will be ads for cars and crap.......taking up half the screen......
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:04 am
Re vera, potas bene.

Originally Posted by tinaflorida
I love satellite radio. Couldn't be without it now. Especially as Sirius has Radio 1.

As for TV, those ad breaks are good for getting the washing done.
I have to agree with you about that...........I clean the kitchen.........and do the washing etc..... when the ads are on........
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:08 am
Re vera, potas bene.

Originally Posted by Mick Travis
Yes. But as someone whose name appears in the credits of a particular show, I know how much we rely on advertising to make our budget. We couldn't do it without our sponsors.
Thats one more thing I hate..........the credits going to the side so you can't read them........and the dick talking over the last minute of a show.........telling you whats on next..........
He'll be one of the first against the wall.......next to the women doing diet pill ads.......when I take over the world.....
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

Mick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by krizzy
Thats one more thing I hate..........the credits going to the side so you can't read them........and the dick talking over the last minute of a show.........telling you whats on next..........
He'll be one of the first against the wall.......next to the women doing diet pill ads.......when I take over the world.....
We submit our show to ABC with normal credits, but they squeeze them down to the lower third so they can show other stuff - usually "next week's episode" type stuff. It's annoying if my mum is looking for my name...
Old Oct 24th 2005, 5:52 am
Just Joined

alanpol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tinaflorida
I love satellite radio. Couldn't be without it now. Especially as Sirius has Radio 1.
Agree completely - had Sirius nearly 2 years now, can't imagine not having it, especially with a commute of at least an hour each way. Having footie commentary, BBC WS news and R1 available in the car, plus Public Radio International and World Radio Network...it's a lifesaver (or at least a sanity saver). Wish I didn't have to pay the $13/month for it, but it's a lot less than my cable TV. Of course, once nationwide wi-fi is available, it'll be outmoded, but until that happens it's quite nice.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 8:10 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Drives me insane.

Bill Bryson wrote a paragraph all about that in one of his books. He took notes over several hours of TV watching, with a stopwatch in hand. He summarized longest and shortest break, longest and shortest program section, total minutes of ads, etc. It made for shocking (and hilarious!) reading.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 10:52 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

The increased incidence of adverts is due to the fragile state of the electricity distribution network.....Our lights dim if the next door neighbours kids both have their PC's on at the same time - what the hell would happen if they only had adverts every 15 minutes and EVERYONE ran out to put the kettle on at the same time!!
Old Oct 24th 2005, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Crispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond repute

The length of adverts is ridiculous. They pick the worse intervals for them to. Trying to watch a movie on tbs or something takes about 6 hours to watch!
Old Oct 24th 2005, 2:04 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Crispyuk88
Trying to watch a movie on tbs or something takes about 6 hours to watch!
Unless it's on HBO or one or two other cable-only movie channels watching a movie on American TV is generally a pointless and frustrating exercise: not just the length, frequency and thoughtless placement of all the ads, but the censorship winds me up too.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 2:17 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
Unless it's on HBO or one or two other cable-only movie channels watching a movie on American TV is generally a pointless and frustrating exercise: not just the length, frequency and thoughtless placement of all the ads, but the censorship winds me up too.
Ooooooohhh don't get me started on the stupid use of censorship here. I think it's dumb what they class as not PC enough to keep in a film & the things that they replace it with, most of the time, don't actually make sense! I was watching a film the other day, forget which one, but they dubbed something & it made no sense at all, luckily I had seen it before, but if I were watching it for the first time I'd have been totally lost.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

We don't like our daughter watching too much TV however she really likes The Wiggles and The Doodlebopsthose those are the 2 shows that we allow her to watch every day... both are on Playhouse Disney... playhouse disney has no adverts except one and what is the one exception? a freaking Mc Donalds advert I know MC D's are a big sponser but of all the adverts to show
Old Oct 24th 2005, 6:17 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevntrace
I must admit I really don't understand the attraction of satellite radio. Why should I pay to listen to someone else's choice in music? I can put on a CD and listen to my own choice for free.

If I want to listen to someone else's choice I'm willing to put up with a few ads in order to do so - for free.

But mostly American radio is crap in my opinion (in terms of playlists). I listen to a "news" station during my 50 minute commute, primarily for the 10 minute traffic updates so I can determine if I need to change my route - again, for free.
Until this weekend I would have agreed with you but after taking the scenic drive home back through the mountains and know matter how many times I hit search all I got was one religious chat channel.

Not sure I'd go out and get satellite radio but I'll never forget my Cd's again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.