Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

...oh, one of the things I don't like...

...oh, one of the things I don't like...

Old Oct 25th 2005, 12:05 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ...oh, one of the things I don't like...

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
We don't like our daughter watching too much TV however she really likes The Wiggles and The Doodlebops those those are the 2 shows that we allow her to watch every day:
I had never heard of the Doodlebops until a couple of weeks ago I was sitting in a pediatrician's waiting room and they were on TV. The room was about 10 feet square and the TV was one of those absolutely enormous widescreen plasma jobs more suitable to showing an NFL game in a sports bar. The whole combined effect (the small room, the garish colours, the bouncy music, the silly voices) made me feel a bit queasy.

Last edited by elfman; Oct 25th 2005 at 1:16 am.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 12:55 am
Banned

Nia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really nice

On demand is the way forward!
Old Oct 25th 2005, 1:39 am

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

I don't think I could live without my Tivo anymore! It's bloody brilliant!
Old Oct 25th 2005, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Crispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond repute

Get an Ipod

The censorship is dumb, not that cable shows anything bad anyhow but censorship.. on top of censorship.. takes all the fun out of late night tv. Swearing especially.. its not like you couldnt tell they just said "shit" or something, they censor everything except the prefix of the word. I think each day swearing gets more accepted in the english language. It's not really thought of as *that* bad of a thing to do now. IMO.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
I had never heard of the Doodlebops until a couple of weeks ago I was sitting in a pediatrician's waiting room and they were on TV. The room was about 10 feet square and the TV was one of those absolutely enormous widescreen plasma jobs more suitable to showing an NFL game in a sports bar. The whole combined effect (the small room, the garish colours, the bouncy music, the silly voices) made me feel a bit queasy.
Emily loves them... becuase the wiggles and the doodlebops have a lot of music in them she dances from beginning to end somedays... but I can see what you mean... Not sure where they got the idea for those costumes.

Ash
Old Oct 26th 2005, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevntrace
I must admit I really don't understand the attraction of satellite radio. Why should I pay to listen to someone else's choice in music? I can put on a CD and listen to my own choice for free.

If I want to listen to someone else's choice I'm willing to put up with a few ads in order to do so - for free.

But mostly American radio is crap in my opinion (in terms of playlists). I listen to a "news" station during my 50 minute commute, primarily for the 10 minute traffic updates so I can determine if I need to change my route - again, for free.
XM Channel 131 - BBC World Service. That's enought for me to justify it for me. I spend approx 1 1/2 hours per day in the car, and this is my chance to find out what is happening in the world....

- Tim
Old Oct 26th 2005, 1:37 am

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light
Question Re: ...oh, one of the things I don't like...

Originally Posted by TimFountain
XM Channel 131 - BBC World Service. That's enought for me to justify it for me. I spend approx 1 1/2 hours per day in the car, and this is my chance to find out what is happening in the world....

- Tim
How is this different from BBC world service on public radio? Is it continuous BBC?
Old Oct 26th 2005, 2:18 am
Banned

Truth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really nice

Sadly, I've read some recent reports detailing the plans made by advertising companies to get around Tivo, etc. They are aware that these gadgets are costing them lots of revenue because people are simply avoiding their commercials.

The answer?

In depth product placement. Last year alone, there were 100,000 product placements in US TV shows. Nothing too serious, just a shot of the CSI detective drinking from a Starbucks cup 2-3 times per episode. However, it's about to get worse.

Has anyone here seen the Truman Show? Well apparently it's gonna get like that. For example, in Desperate Housewives you'd here something like:

"That is terrible news abou Jim, I can't believe it. let's talk about it over coffee...I have some of the new Nescafe Gold blend...the smoothest, finest coffee using only the best quality beans."

Great. I can't wait for THAT to kick in. :scared:
Old Oct 26th 2005, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Thats one of the reasons I no longer enjoy the Apprentice show. The first season was good but after that its turned into one long advert for which ever company is sponsoring it that week. The other reason I dont enjoy the show is that its more about them being nasty to each other now, the first season was more about the tasks. Isn't it a shame that the nastier you are on TV the more work you end up getting...what a great example to show kids!!
Old Oct 26th 2005, 2:40 am
Banned

Truth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really nice

I guess that is the "in fashion" thing right now in America - attitude.

Forget values, dignity, integrity and respect kids...just be a cocky little git who will happily get naked at the click of switch...and you'll be accepted as "cool".
Old Feb 12th 2006, 7:24 pm
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

is there no way the American public could complain to a TV authority? surely if they all wrote in and complained about the length and frequency of ads, not to mention blatant product placement (sometimes they may as well have a huge arrow pointing to the product!) also in regards to the stupid, stupid, stupid censorship laws/guidelines? (what is their huge objection to the slightest bit of an arse crack? they would have a field day on a building site in england!) i understand some cable networks do have some shows (for mature audiences only!!!!) but do they really have to tell us every 2 mins and 15 sec at the end of every commercial break? and could they please stop telling us what shows are coming on that week, being the same show every commercial break, it all really gets me goat. as someone said ITV and ch4 have managed for years with a LOT less advertisements and still managed to air some awesome shows! if they can manage it i am sure the cable companies could if they just weren't sooooooooooo GREEDY!
ok enough of my rant!
love and bollocks!
Rik