Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Oh dear - more on the unarmed Brazilian shooting in London

Oh dear - more on the unarmed Brazilian shooting in London

Old Aug 19th 2005, 1:55 pm
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Oh dear - more on the unarmed Brazilian shooting in London

Originally Posted by Ray
I don't care one iota about him !!!
"First they came for the Brazilians, and I said nothing, because I was not a Brazilian..."
Old Aug 19th 2005, 2:10 pm
Perfumdiva1

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Have you really thought this one out?

Have you really thought about putting up that annoying avatar???

PD1

PS Not looking for a fight..

Old Aug 19th 2005, 2:30 pm
Perfumdiva1

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I do feel sorry for the family of the Brazilian guy who was shot by the police - but I feel that under the circumstances the armed police had no option since many lives (including their own) could have been at stake.

But I feel just as sorry for the families of those maimed or killed by the bombs in London.

Whatever the outcome of all the investigations into the death of the Brazilian guy, I would argue that any compensation paid by the Met Police or Home Office should not be a penny more than the compensation paid to the family/next of kin of any person who was killed by the bombs on July 7th.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/attackonlo...547962,00.html
EM

I agree totally with you

Accidental shootings take places here every day in Houston, one a few weeks ago when an off duty police officer was working as a security guard, and an incident occured, the police were called, and when they arrived, the off-duty officer went in chase of the "baddie" along with the police, and was shot and killed by the Officer , who thought he was one of the bad guys..

Do we hear about this every day on the news, no, the local media covered his funeral, only because he was a police officer, and every time an officer or firefighter dies, then there is a bank account opened and people from the public can make donations for the family, because most of the officers/firefighters dont have enough money to pay for a funeral, or have life insurance, which is a tradegy in itself, given the jobs they do, but it is too expensive, and I am sure this happens in all states. If the UK want to protect the citizens, the sometimes they have to act quickly, and mistakes happen. So the officers in questions should not be prosecuted, I know this sounds callous, but if that chap had been carrying a bomb, then the officers would be heros, right....

JMHO

PD1

Old Aug 19th 2005, 2:36 pm
Brit'n'TX

Originally Posted by nxylas
"First they came for the Brazilians, and I said nothing, because I was not a Brazilian..."
I'll have what you're on, please ..

Old Aug 19th 2005, 3:11 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I don't see how you can describe something when you were not present and have not been in that situation. Then it's just fiction - we can all imagine as well as you.

Said everything I had to say yesterday, and, in fact, several times before that.

Don't see any point in going in circles.

The discussion, as far as I'm concerned, is about what went wrong and what has to happen so it doesn't occur again. That's about it.

And I dont see how you or anyone else can criticise someone when you were not present and did not have to make the discisions they did.

Quite frankly Im getting more than a bit pissed off with the holier than thou attitudes by people who have quite obviously never been in anything like a high stress life or death situation.

Criticising others who do a tough job and are human...thats what the british are so good at and what has contributed to the decline in Britain over recent years.

Old Aug 19th 2005, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ImHere
And I dont see how you or anyone else can criticise someone when you were not present and did not have to make the discisions they did.

Quite frankly Im getting more than a bit pissed off with the holier than thou attitudes by people who have quite obviously never been in anything like a high stress life or death situation.

Criticising others who do a tough job and are human...thats what the british are so good at and what has contributed to the decline in Britain over recent years.
Exactly, all of this crap about a possible shoot to kill policy. We are fighting people with a bomb to kill policy.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Well 99.9999999999999999999999999999% of them are innocent students, electricians and teachers. We don't want them shot, do we?

If it comes down to a decision being a matter of prayer then we are all in big trouble.
I was speaking metaphorically with regard to praying. I suppose they could ask all sucicide bomber in the future to wear a loud ticking clocks so that everyone is sure of what their intentions are and make sure that they have a criminal record prior to it, murder even better on cctv cameras.....that would make it so much easier for everyone.....

I don't propose they just shoot anyone without some concrete evidence and someone isn't taking a leak at the time when someone walks out of a buidling were suspected terrorists live with explosives ect and has similar look from a distance, minus the sun tan,......I could understand it if was a woman having a leak, it more complicated, but hey can't guys just hold the bottle with one hand and look through the camera with another

Its a pity that they misidentified the brazillian, sadder they weren't around or had any intel on the other bombers who went off, and probably in the future won't know who the next lot may be either.

So come up with a solution how to stop these people in the future and how the police are meant to deal with it, based on the intel they are dealing with at the time which they think is correct. It's easy to critisise, harder to come up with a solution that works.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 3:18 pm
Brit'n'TX

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
Exactly, all of this crap about a possible shoot to kill policy. We are fighting people with a bomb to kill policy.
do you have pin-ups of Hitler, Goebbels and Himmler on your bedroom wall?

Old Aug 19th 2005, 3:25 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I find that very hard to believe ....The News of the World has the pulse of the nation...
Tomorrow's rat litter if you please.

NC Penguin
Old Aug 19th 2005, 3:30 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
It's sad about the Brazillian, but at least it sent out the message that the police won't **** around with the bombers. We haven't had anymore bombs go off since that day, so far.
Message that it sends out to me that the Police can and do make mistakes. Such mistakes can result in the deaths. This is a major cockup.

NC Penguin
Old Aug 19th 2005, 3:34 pm
Brit'n'TX

It's sad about the Brazillian, but at least it sent out the message that the police won't **** around with the bombers. We haven't had anymore bombs go off since that day, so far.

still easy mistake ... south american .. arab .. dark skin ...

not to worry ..

Last edited by Brit'n'TX; Aug 19th 2005 at 3:49 pm.

Old Aug 19th 2005, 3:35 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

You know if the Brazillian man had got on a train along with other innocent people and it had blown up by someone else he would just have been a couple of sentences in the newspaper and life would have moved on.
Either you're being awfully cynical or perhaps that's just how you want things. I disagree.

A bombing in the London Underground would be a big news story and picked up around the world, especially post 9/11...

NC Penguin
Old Aug 19th 2005, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
I kept your last paragraph because that is the crux of the matter. I am less worried about the capabilities than you but that is perception, not evidence. Iraq is a different case because, whatever George and Tony say; to the Iraqis, they are an occupied country, and most of the insurgency is indigenous, so it's not surprising that are as successful as they are. The coalition forces started using the "Malaya Protocol" but the American military seems to be moving away from it. It does take time but it works.

Your last para. spells out the dilemma, but finish it with a protocol. how many mistaken deaths can be tolerated in the absence of an attack; how many if there is an attack? Fighting almost any insurgency is necessarily reactive rather than proactive because you can't guard against every possibility.

To some of the Iraqis it is an occupation, to others it's liberation. They seem to like the British out there, they have less tolerance for the Americans, mostly down to attitude and treatment. The insurgents are indigenous, but they are also very much supported by foreign terrorists, the IRA are quite well out there in force helping train them. So I guess you could call some freedome fighters and other cold blooded murderers looking for a cause to spill blood. There have been far too many innocent deaths out there also, on the coalition, iraqis and foreign civillians.

I don't want to see our police force in the UK make mistakes and kill innocent people, nor do I want innocent people do die through bombings.

But I think we should focus who the enemy is in this instance and support our security services in trying to keep us safe. If Religious fundamentalist didn't want to blow up innocent people and everyone could live in harmony there would be no innocent deaths. But life is never that simple, in UK the PC brigade is making it easier for criminals and terrorists alike and by doing so, it is cheapening the lives of their victims.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Either you're being awfully cynical or perhaps that's just how you want things. I disagree.

A bombing in the London Underground would be a big news story and picked up around the world, especially post 9/11...

NC Penguin
You missed my point, yes the bombing did get coverage, but did those victims get as much coverage as the Brazillian's death? What I was trying to say, was if he had died with them, he would not got as much coverage as he is getting now, he would have just been another unfortunate victim, which he was anyway. How many names do you remember from the July's bombing, I can remember some faces, but no names. I don't know what has happened to any of the victims who were injured, if they are okay now, how its affected their lives or their families, do you? But every day there is coverage about the Brazillian and his family.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 3:55 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

You missed my point, yes the bombing did get coverage, but did those victims get as much coverage as the Brazillian's death? What I was trying to say, was if he had died with them, he would not got as much coverage as he is getting now, he would have just been another unfortunate victim, which he was anyway. How many names do you remember from the July's bombing, I can remember some faces, but no names. I don't know what has happened to any of the victims who were injured, if they are okay now, how its affected their lives or their families, do you? But every day there is coverage about the Brazillian and his family.
The death of the Brazilian was based on the actions of the Police who thought they had a would be terrorist on their hands but they were mistaken. It's the mistake (misidentification) that has lead to his death taking up so many column inches.

The coverup and differing stories that abound in the press continues to keep the dead Brazilian in the world's attention.

NC Penguin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.