Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Off topic posts from Dubai to Houston thread

Wikiposts

Off topic posts from Dubai to Houston thread

Old Mar 31st 2014, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British expat relocating from Dubai to Houston,Texas

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Except the OP's question specifically comments on this aspect:

"My concern is the gun culture in the U.S, Texas. Having lived in a very safe city for all this time, I really would appreciate thoughts and comments from all other British expats"

I would have thought a discussion concerning gun control in Houston (and TX in general) would be of benefit to the new member, given they specifically asked for comments.

But hey, that's just me.
Yes I agree. OP specifically asked about it. And however nice the place you live in is, guns are part of life in the US.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 8:01 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Clearly not currently. I'm pretty certain I will be if I discuss gun control in this thread after Sue has asked us not to. That's what happened last time. Three week ban for contributing to a thread.
There is a difference between reporting on the law and guns in society and advocating/ arguing for control. The OP asked about the former, not the latter.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 31st 2014 at 8:03 am.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 8:36 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mathai
half a million dollars MINIMUM MY FRIEND! YOU GET A LOT MORE FOR HALF A MILLION IN TEXAS THAN ANYTHING IN THE UK.
I know. Ever think that's because no one wants to live there, perhaps?
Old Mar 31st 2014, 8:38 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Pick a web site that favours your argument. Healthgrades.com rates eight hospitals in Texas as having exceptional favourable outcomes, .... but NONE in Massachusetts!
Clearly they are wrong ;p
Old Mar 31st 2014, 8:42 am
Banned

Originally Posted by DubaiCat
Can anyone with half a brain help me? I've tried to be polite and ignore silly replies...but can someone pls help?
Ok, at risk of being banned for commenting on the gun control issue. I have visited Houston, TX many times. I have never once seen a gun in public apart from one strapped to a police officer. However, knowing that guns are so easy to obtain in TX would absolutely affect the way I act or conduct myself as who knows what idiot you are going to encounter.

Would I wish to raise a family in Texas? No, absolutely not. That's as much about the general backwards culture down there, rather than the gun issue mind.

Would I move there with my wife? No, absolutely not. It's a wasteland of space with nothing really going on.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 8:42 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Weeze
That was an unfortunate link. See main text for Houston and cancer care.
I saw it. It was just one area they excelled in.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 8:47 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, at risk of being banned for commenting on the gun control issue. I have visited Houston, TX many times. I have never once seen a gun in public apart from one strapped to a police officer. However, knowing that guns are so easy to obtain in TX would absolutely affect the way I act or conduct myself as who knows what idiot you are going to encounter.

Would I wish to raise a family in Texas? No, absolutely not. That's as much about the general backwards culture down there, rather than the gun issue mind.

Would I move there with my wife? No, absolutely not. It's a wasteland of space with nothing really going on.
If we're going to pass opinions on places we haven't lived, then this is one firm vote for "yes, I would live there". It's a little hot in the summer for my preference, and Houston is very humid, but for quality of life and family safety, I would have no qualms about moving to Texas, none whatsoever.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 8:49 am
Banned

If we're going to pass opinions on places we haven't lived, then this is one firm vote for "yes, I would live there". It's a little hot in the summer for my preference, and Houston is very humid, but for quality of life and family safety, I would have no qualms about moving to Texas, none whatsoever.
You would be bored out of your mind though I suspect. Everytime I visit the place I find absolutely nothing is going on. I far prefer San Antonio fwiw.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Suexpat
.... We probably all object to the half a brain bit.
I just thought she was asking Hungry Horace for advice.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 8:57 am
Banned

Wow, I hear them most days, and always on weekends, but then I live in a fairly rural area. At least one person within earshot owns some sort of machine gun, and recently it sounds like someone has acquired a cannon, because we get these mighty, almost earth-shaking BOOMS!.
I hear gun shots everyday where I live in Boston fwiw.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 9:02 am

I hear gun shots everyday where I live in Boston fwiw.
Maybe you should move to Houston, I hear that there's fewer gunshots down there!
Old Mar 31st 2014, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Suexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to behold

Maybe you should move to Houston, I hear that there's fewer gunshots down there!
Old Mar 31st 2014, 9:18 am
Account Closed

DubaiCat is an unknown quantity at this point

If u hate it so much there, then pls explain?
Old Mar 31st 2014, 9:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Clearly not currently. I'm pretty certain I will be if I discuss gun control in this thread after Sue has asked us not to. That's what happened last time. Three week ban for contributing to a thread.
Your next ban will be permanent...please take note you are fast running out of lives.

Thread closed.