Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Off topic posts from Dubai to Houston thread

Off topic posts from Dubai to Houston thread

Old Mar 31st 2014, 2:21 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Off topic posts from Dubai to Houston thread

Originally Posted by DubaiCat
Hi! OH and I have been in Dubai for 8 yrs now and our stay finishes in October and Houston is definitely on the cards although no ink to paper yet. My concern is the gun culture in the U.S, Texas. Having lived in a very safe city for all this time, I really would appreciate thoughts and comments from all other British expats before I let hubby put pen to paper!! Thanks!
Having visited Houston I can safely inform you that it is an *absolute* shit hole. You are going to be deeply depressed moving to such a deprived area given where you currently reside.

re gun culture, well you're moving to the state where guns can be open carried. I found Texas to be utterly boring when I have visited. Stay where you are is my advice.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 2:58 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British expat relocating from Dubai to Houston,Texas

Originally Posted by Bink
I wouldn't let Horace the Grouch scare you - just look at his posts to see his happy outlook on life.

From someone that actually lives here - I like it. If you immerse yourself in Houston, there's a lot that it can give back.
Whilst Bink is right, I am cynical to a large extent, but I can also appreciate nice places when i visit them. Even my wife, who is a stark contrast to myself, agreed that Houston was a shit hole. You only need to drive through downtown to realise what a dump the place is. Have we even discussed median income levels yet or crime figures?
Old Mar 31st 2014, 3:32 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Suexpat
I must admit that after living in most parts of the world and other parts of the US I find Houston is not the best. It may be great if you have children here but also having 2 at uni in the UK I find Houston to be extremely boring. It is also expensive to eat out or shop unless you are into outlet shopping. Yes you will live in a big house and drive a big car, the driving here is crap though, but if you want more than that Houston is not for you.
+1. Bottom line: Houston sucks.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 4:45 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Having visited Houston I can safely inform you that it is an *absolute* shit hole. You are going to be deeply depressed moving to such a deprived area given where you currently reside.

re gun culture, well you're moving to the state where guns can be open carried. I found Texas to be utterly boring when I have visited. Stay where you are is my advice.
This. Has. Been. Settled.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=607620
Old Mar 31st 2014, 4:47 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Leslie
Looks like the poll confirms that a significant amount of people feel the same as I do about Houston
Old Mar 31st 2014, 4:56 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Having visited Houston
Looks like the poll confirms that a significant amount of people feel the same as I do about Houston
Old Mar 31st 2014, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Suexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to behold

Read the thread. It's very enlightening. And the results are indisputable. Houston is officially NOT shit. If you continue along these lines you will just be making a fool of yourself, sir.
No I sure wouldn't say Houston is shit. Just out of choice I wouldn't live here.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 5:04 pm
Banned

Read the thread. It's very enlightening. And the results are indisputable. Houston is officially NOT shit. If you continue along these lines you will just be making a fool of yourself, sir.
Except you omit to overlook the simple fact that Houston is absolutely shit, regardless of what people who (funnily enough!) live there state.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 5:05 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
I've had to visit multiple times this year already unfortunately. It's still a shit hole. Everytime. Sorry. I'll stick to Boston or San Francisco for cities I consider worthwhile living in.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 5:06 pm
Banned

You'll be telling me Liverpool is a nice place to live next won't you?
Old Mar 31st 2014, 5:10 pm
Banned

It's not my favorite city but a lot of people who post here (and live in Houston) have very happy lives. It's fair to say that it's not for everybody and since you live there you certainly can speak to that fact.

Certain other people should just stick to what they know which is actually nothing.
Amazing. You think that I am not able to pass judgement on a place despite having visited it many times? You're probably the sort of person that argues Hull is a first rate place to reside.

Do you live in Houston, per chance?
Old Mar 31st 2014, 5:10 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

You'll be telling me Liverpool is a nice place to live next won't you?
I flew over it once which puts me in a perfect position to say that it is paradise --- a virtual Shangri-La. Liverpool is utopia.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 5:11 pm
WTF?

Amazing. You think that I am not able to pass judgement on a place despite having visited it many times? You're probably the sort of person that argues Hull is a first rate place to reside.

Do you live in Houston, per chance?
I'm not telling you where I live. Weirdo.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 5:15 pm
Banned

I'm not telling you where I live. Weirdo.
Probably somewhere as equally as shit then. Good luck to you.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 5:16 pm
WTF?

Probably somewhere as equally as shit then. Good luck to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.