Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Obtaining employment in the US

Obtaining employment in the US

Old Jun 10th 2009, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obtaining employment in the US

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
There is a tax treaty existing between the US and UK. I believe if you made less than $85k p.a., you will have nothing to pay to the US, but if you did make more than that amount, there could be some that you owe to the US (but I have no idea how that's determined). For questions regarding taxes, there is an IRS unit at the London Embassy that helps people out.
...and a half-decnet tax wiki here on BE.....
Old Jun 12th 2009, 3:22 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
bit of a strange one. But last night on my way home in Los Angeles, there was a huge billboard sign saying 'we are hiring scientists and engineers. I will look at who the company is on my way home, and post a reply.
Sorry, saw the advertising board again last night, its for the US Navy so not really what you were looking for.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stephenry
I'm pretty convinced that regardless of the economic situation in the US, there are more opportunities to be found in whole of the US (I'm free to relocate anywhere), than the west of Scotland (an electronics dead-zone). Just how to go about it, I don't know.
Your statement is exactly correct, and I think you won't have too much trouble finding a job in the US.

I graduated BEng from Edinburgh University in 1998 and interned for motorola in East Kilbride (gorgeous East Kilbride) designing ASICs for two summers - enough time for me to figure out I didn't want to work for motorola, live in East Kilbride, or even have a career in EE.

The best places to focus your search will be Silicon Valley (San Jose and surrounds in California,) San Diego and Orange County (lots of defense contractors,) Boston, the Research Triangle (North Carolina) and Northern Virginia (also lots of defense stuff.)

So you might want to figure out where you want to live, and then focus your search. Or just get your resume together and start sending it to firms and see who bites.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 7:27 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notacrime
The best places to focus your search will be Silicon Valley (San Jose and surrounds in California,) San Diego and Orange County (lots of defense contractors,) Boston, the Research Triangle (North Carolina) and Northern Virginia (also lots of defense stuff.)
I was at a IT/Tech job fair yesterday, loads of jobs in and around Boston.

Only 3 none hi tech companies that didn't have a requirement for US citizenship and/or a security clearance already....

Which is a mare as some of them were fairly mundane tech firms.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
As far as Selective Service (the draft), it is a requirement that all male citizens have to register with Selective Service between the ages of 18 and 27.
ALL males of that age group living in the US, USC, LPR or illegal alien.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 8:50 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Sorry, saw the advertising board again last night, its for the US Navy so not really what you were looking for.
Funny! It's a fast-track to citizenship, at least.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 10:24 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kar98
ALL males of that age group living in the US, USC, LPR or illegal alien.
aye, but difference is, USC has to even if not living in the US.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
aye, but difference is, USC has to even if not living in the US.
Tru dat.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 10:58 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stephenry
Thanks for the advice folks,

I graduated way back in 2003 with a BEng in Electronic and Electrical Engineering (I'm 27). I did pretty well and got a 1st Class Honours, and got three awards in the final year (top of the class, best project, GPA of 3.9 etc...).
Is your degree accredited by the Engineering Council UK for Washington Accord purposes?