Need help!

Old Jun 12th 2009, 6:37 am
Just Joined

Sy09 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need help!

Ok im 17, 18 next march and me and my girlfriend who have been together for 3 years have managed to get her parents permission to allow me to live with them once i turn 18.
Ive never visited the states before to see her so i have no idea what i'm supposed to do.
Help would be much apreciated thanks

Note: I do know i can only stay in states for a maximum of 90 days if im not a citizen but im not sure on how i can extend that and what i should be applying for etc

Last edited by Sy09; Jun 12th 2009 at 6:42 am.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 8:22 am
Just Joined

andre uk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need help!

Originally Posted by Sy09
Ok im 17, 18 next march and me and my girlfriend who have been together for 3 years have managed to get her parents permission to allow me to live with them once i turn 18.
Ive never visited the states before to see her so i have no idea what i'm supposed to do.
Help would be much apreciated thanks

Note: I do know i can only stay in states for a maximum of 90 days if im not a citizen but im not sure on how i can extend that and what i should be applying for etc
so you have been with a girl for 3 years and never visited her?

My advise spend 2 weeks with her see if she annoys you come home to the uk and then think about what to do
Old Jun 12th 2009, 11:56 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

If you are holding a UK passport you can come to visit for upto 90 days on the visa waiver program, but anything longer than that requires a visitors visa which you have to get in the UK before you leave. And the fact that you are going to go live with your 'girlfriend' in the US means there is a very real chance you will be denied a visa and not allowed to enter.

VWP and visitor visas are for 'visitors'--not for 'immigrants' (people with the intention to stay longer term). The fact you have a girlfriend in the US will make the immigration folks look at you not as a visitor but as someone with the intention to stay.

I think the best advice is to visit for a bit, then return to the UK and plot what comes next. If you want to get married, then you can follow the procedure for a spousal visa. Or maybe she can come and visit you for a few months in the UK and you can learn more about each other.

Good luck
Old Jun 12th 2009, 12:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

There is no extension of the VWP so you are correct, 90 days only and then you have to leave the US back to the UK.

I don't know what you are qualified for but perhaps you might qualify for a J visa or one of those temporary summer work type visas. Coming in on the VWP will not allow you to live and work in the US.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
There is no extension of the VWP so you are correct, 90 days only and then you have to leave the US back to the UK.

I don't know what you are qualified for but perhaps you might qualify for a J visa or one of those temporary summer work type visas. Coming in on the VWP will not allow you to live and work in the US.
Her brother did mention that if i were to get a lawyer while i was over there he/she could help me extend my stay aswell as help get potential citizenship. Do you know if this is true?
Old Jun 12th 2009, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Her brother did mention that if i were to get a lawyer while i was over there he/she could help me extend my stay aswell as help get potential citizenship. Do you know if this is true?
No, it's not true. That may be possible if you have an actual visa but not the visa waiver. Unless you get married your chances are non-existent if you want to move to the US long term right now..
Attached Thumbnails Need help!-i94w.jpg  

Last edited by Duncan Roberts; Jun 12th 2009 at 4:37 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll put the kettle on!
Old Jun 12th 2009, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

managed to get her parents permission to allow me to live with them
Good start, now ask her dad's permission to marry her...

Sorry to be blunt, but if you plan to remain in the US your options are:

1. Marry the girl
2. Go to college and get a student visa

Other options are out there, but at 17, I would hazard a guess none would apply to you.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 4:50 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lisa67
I'll put the kettle on!
Wot no popcorn?
Old Jun 12th 2009, 5:02 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot extend a VWP 90 day entry. You can *try* to get married but entering on a VWP and then getting married may get you in trouble (if they can show you entered on VWP with the intention to marry, then you have committed a fraudulent entry and they'll throw you out). I wouldn't trust what her brother said unless he is an immigration attorney (and even then, take it with a grain of salt). Americans generally know very little about the rules for citizenship and visas because 99% of Americans don't have to deal with those rules.

The purpose of the Visa Waiver is "visitors" meaning someone coming in and then going back home again. The immigration personnel are going to assess your 'intent' at the time of entry--is it your intention to visit (i.e. are you staying in a hotel, visiting some tourist places, have a return ticket) or is it your intention to stay (are you staying with a girl friend, do you not have any money or ties back to the UK, are you considering getting married). A 90-day visa waiver is NOT a given. You can be denied entry and sent back on the next flight home.

Your other option might be the J summer worker / study visa (which requires you to return to the UK for 2 years, generally after you visit, I think) or getting an F1 visa to come to the US and study at University (which will cost a ton of cash).

I think most people here would recommend visiting for a period of time, seeing how things go, and then returning to the UK and plan your long term strategy the right way.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 6:10 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

The parents sound as mad as March hares.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by penguinsix
You cannot extend a VWP 90 day entry. You can *try* to get married but entering on a VWP and then getting married may get you in trouble (if they can show you entered on VWP with the intention to marry, then you have committed a fraudulent entry and they'll throw you out). I wouldn't trust what her brother said unless he is an immigration attorney (and even then, take it with a grain of salt). Americans generally know very little about the rules for citizenship and visas because 99% of Americans don't have to deal with those rules.

The purpose of the Visa Waiver is "visitors" meaning someone coming in and then going back home again. The immigration personnel are going to assess your 'intent' at the time of entry--is it your intention to visit (i.e. are you staying in a hotel, visiting some tourist places, have a return ticket) or is it your intention to stay (are you staying with a girl friend, do you not have any money or ties back to the UK, are you considering getting married). A 90-day visa waiver is NOT a given. You can be denied entry and sent back on the next flight home.

Your other option might be the J summer worker / study visa (which requires you to return to the UK for 2 years, generally after you visit, I think) or getting an F1 visa to come to the US and study at University (which will cost a ton of cash).

I think most people here would recommend visiting for a period of time, seeing how things go, and then returning to the UK and plan your long term strategy the right way.
Can you tell me how i would legally be aloud to marry? I know its some sort of petition..Fiance petition im thinking of is that the right thing?
Old Jun 12th 2009, 7:06 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Can you tell me how i would legally be aloud to marry? I know its some sort of petition..Fiance petition im thinking of is that the right thing?
You're jumping WAY ahead of yourself here. You have not even met the girl in person.

One of the requirements of doing a fiance visa (which is what you refer to in your above post), is having met face to face. This is what you'll accomplish on THIS trip.

So the plan can be....come visit on the VWP for less than 90 days, so you can meet face to face and see if you get along in person. Return to the UK and THEN research the various options. If, after some time, you decide that you guys want to marry, then you can ask about the fiance visa.

Rene
Old Jun 12th 2009, 7:07 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

You won't have any trouble getting a visa. You seem ideally suited for an O1 Exceptional Ability visa.

After all, you're clearly a World Class Urine Extraction expert!
Old Jun 12th 2009, 7:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
You won't have any trouble getting a visa. You seem ideally suited for an O1 Exceptional Ability visa.

After all, you're clearly a World Class Urine Extraction expert!
lol, only took me two reads. I'm getting clever, me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.