Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Obsession with temperature

Obsession with temperature

Old Jul 25th 2006, 10:02 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Obsession with temperature

What's up with the obsessive need to know the temperature in this country? Everyone here knows what temperature it was yesterday and what it will be today, tomorrow and this weekend. "It reached 105 yesterday you know". Back in Edinburgh the temperature was "bloody freezin", "mild" or "bloody sweltering".
Old Jul 25th 2006, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obsession with temperature

May be there alote more like us than first thought, talking about the weather
Old Jul 25th 2006, 10:21 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony_2003
What's up with the obsessive need to know the temperature in this country? Everyone here knows what temperature it was yesterday and what it will be today, tomorrow and this weekend. "It reached 105 yesterday you know". Back in Edinburgh the temperature was "bloody freezin", "mild" or "bloody sweltering".
Oneupmanship maybe?!
Old Jul 25th 2006, 10:55 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

How can you read my mind you're spying on me aren't you
Actually I had the opposite experience in Scotland - I found everyone was obsessed there with temp and I have just brought it with me (drives my hubby mad!)
Old Jul 25th 2006, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

I blame the weather channel since that came about everyone is an expert. I often tease people and ask them when did they find time to get there Meteorologist degree............... cause so many people will offer up weather info uninvited especially around hurricane season!
And they say we like to talk about the weather?
Old Jul 25th 2006, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

i find here they talk about the amount of rain fall....for example 'we had 1/4" last night' errr well i think they're talking about the amount of rain and nothing else ..lol in the uk it's usually just pissing down all the time, i'd never heard of folk measuring the rainfall prior to coming here....
Old Jul 26th 2006, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to be mainly the phone calls from England that are filled with the talk of weather - they always want to know what it's doing here. Mind you at the moment they are moaning about the heat and I am glad to be in airconditioned comfort
Old Jul 26th 2006, 6:59 am
Account Closed

Serenity is an unknown quantity at this point

Seriously! Was talking about the heat here in England with MiL and every day she asks what the temp is. I don't know! Does one need to know more than swelteringly hot!
Old Aug 4th 2006, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Tucson we had tons and tons of rain last week which made the (usually bone-dry) rivers burst their banks. And people call it 'moisture'... to me 'moisture' in the air is that sort of clingy mist that you don't realise is affecting you until you touch your coat/fleece/hair and find it's wringing wet. The monsoon rain here most definitly is not 'moisture' to me...
Old Aug 4th 2006, 11:51 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Scotland is so bloody backward, that's how they mark the thermometers.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 11:54 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

It's 82 degrees.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 11:58 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
It's 82 degrees.

I have 80º, 59% humidity and the dewpoint is 64º.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 12:29 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gsnichol
Here in Tucson we had tons and tons of rain last week which made the (usually bone-dry) rivers burst their banks. And people call it 'moisture'... to me 'moisture' in the air is that sort of clingy mist that you don't realise is affecting you until you touch your coat/fleece/hair and find it's wringing wet. The monsoon rain here most definitly is not 'moisture' to me...
Bah! Ten inches of humidity is nothing to worry about.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

Because the temp is hellish it's a need to know situation, front page news. 98F today, 104F real feel, it sucks.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

NC2Dorset is a splendid one to beholdNC2Dorset is a splendid one to beholdNC2Dorset is a splendid one to beholdNC2Dorset is a splendid one to beholdNC2Dorset is a splendid one to beholdNC2Dorset is a splendid one to beholdNC2Dorset is a splendid one to beholdNC2Dorset is a splendid one to beholdNC2Dorset is a splendid one to beholdNC2Dorset is a splendid one to beholdNC2Dorset is a splendid one to behold

I'm the one here in UK trying to convert C to F. Everytime I talk to my parents in NC they are talking about temps up in 104 with a heat index of 120. Never hear anyone say anything about heat index here in UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.