Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

o2 iphone cancel or migrate contract to the US?

o2 iphone cancel or migrate contract to the US?

Old Sep 23rd 2011, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Leo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really nice
Default o2 iphone cancel or migrate contract to the US?

Hey everybody!

I have an iPhone 4 on a 2 year contract with o2 which terminates around June 2012. It's looking possible that I will be moving to NYC in about 8 weeks time and I would like to have a similar contract out there on the new iPhone 5 which will probably be coming out in the next couple of weeks.

What options do I have? Is there a way I can migrate to AT&T / Sprint / T-Mobile or will I need to outright cancel my current o2 contract and pay some kind of huge cancellation fee and then take out a brand new contract in the US?

Thanks in advance for any knowledge or useful links to solve this conundrum!

Leo
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: o2 iphone cancel or migrate contract to the US?

Originally Posted by Leo_Loves
Hey everybody!

I have an iPhone 4 on a 2 year contract with o2 which terminates around June 2012. It's looking possible that I will be moving to NYC in about 8 weeks time and I would like to have a similar contract out there on the new iPhone 5 which will probably be coming out in the next couple of weeks.

What options do I have? Is there a way I can migrate to AT&T / Sprint / T-Mobile or will I need to outright cancel my current o2 contract and pay some kind of huge cancellation fee and then take out a brand new contract in the US?

Leo
O2 don't exist here, so you'd have to start afresh. If you want to carry on using your iPhone you'll need to get it unlocked, which O2 ought to do for free, and a US SIM. It will only work on AT&T and T-Mobile here.

In my case I had to get an AT&T PAYG SIM ($2 for unlimited calls and texts each day you use it) and cut it to the microSIM size with a SIM cutter, and install an AT&T data profile with the Apple iPhone Configuration Utility. This isn't as difficult as it sounds - there are lots of howtos on the Web. I then buy a $25 500MB data bundle each month, and everything just works except for visual voicemail.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

Hey everybody!

Leo
I sold my iphone on Ebay last Sunday, put it on a BIN for £350 and it sold within 5 minutes! Knew I should have put it up for more! lol But I only had a 12mth contract which runs out in 3 months and only costs me £22 a month. I had it officially unlocked which cost £20.

I am going to buy an iphone 5 when it comes out. Although the costs of the tariffs is slightly off putting

Vicki
Old Sep 24th 2011, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

Leo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really nice

Okie doke, so it looks like the sale of the iPhone will help
cover the remaining months on the uk contract.

Cool. Thanks folks!
Old Sep 24th 2011, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

I know I will get a hard time for this....Since I always do, but here goes.....

If your leaving the UK for good then just don't pay it.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

I'm not necessarily leaving for good - I still have family & friends here - I'll visit a couple of times a year and maybe move back in a couple of years (and then back to the US after another couple of years etc). But thanks for the cheeky suggestion which, yes, I'm sure you'll get a little heat for
Old Sep 24th 2011, 6:12 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ja5on
I know I will get a hard time for this....Since I always do, but here goes.....

If your leaving the UK for good then just don't pay it.
Lol.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Why not let O2 unlock your iPhone and just get a SIM, possibly prepaid, to use in the same phone while state-side, if you're planning to pop back and forth for a while?
Old Sep 28th 2011, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

AT&T will most likely still insist on a contract with the exact same terms as if you had bought an iPhone off them (I tried last year) and PAYG with data isn't necessarily an option with them because of this issue.

T-Mobile is probably going to be happy to have your business, just be aware that one of the frequencies they use for 3G is different to everybody else so chances are the iPhone won't work with 3G (but it'll work fine otherwise).
Old Sep 28th 2011, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
AT&T will most likely still insist on a contract with the exact same terms as if you had bought an iPhone off them (I tried last year) and PAYG with data isn't necessarily an option with them because of this issue.
As I posted earlier, it is possible to get data on an unlocked iPhone on AT&T PAYG, so long as you don't mind getting a bit techie with it.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 2:13 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
As I posted earlier, it is possible to get data on an unlocked iPhone on AT&T PAYG, so long as you don't mind getting a bit techie with it.
You do want to check site coverage though, as they're rather flakey where I am....but then again, so is T-Mobile
Old Oct 10th 2011, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

Maltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really nice

O2 don't exist here, so you'd have to start afresh. If you want to carry on using your iPhone you'll need to get it unlocked, which O2 ought to do for free, and a US SIM. It will only work on AT&T and T-Mobile here.

In my case I had to get an AT&T PAYG SIM ($2 for unlimited calls and texts each day you use it) and cut it to the microSIM size with a SIM cutter, and install an AT&T data profile with the Apple iPhone Configuration Utility. This isn't as difficult as it sounds - there are lots of howtos on the Web. I then buy a $25 500MB data bundle each month, and everything just works except for visual voicemail.
That is not completely true. You can jailbreak your iPhone, easily, and it will work on any US carrier. I should say your iPhone 4. The new iPhone 4S will require a contract unless you buy from eBay or some other source.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Maltoo
That is not completely true. You can jailbreak your iPhone, easily, and it will work on any US carrier. I should say your iPhone 4. The new iPhone 4S will require a contract unless you buy from eBay or some other source.
Yes, you can jailbreak your iPhone. I know I did. But the newer your phone is, the more complex the process is, and with some methods you'll even lose some functionality like GPS. If you _can_ get your iPhone unlocked without going the jailbreak route, that's much preferable than hacking around with it.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

There are other PAYG providers also, MVNOs such as H2O wireless with plans better than AT&T, whose bandwidth they rent.

Completely iPhone compatible, even locked AT&T iPhones have been reported to work on this network (phones previously locked to other networks will need to be unlocked.).
Old Oct 11th 2011, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Maltoo
Apple sell iPhones without any carrier locks on them now, although there is a premium price for that.