Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

NYU Abu Dhabi

NYU Abu Dhabi

Old Nov 15th 2014, 2:31 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default NYU Abu Dhabi

So, eldest daughter had a rep from NYU at her HS the other week....

NYU has a campus in Abu Dhabi and this guy seems to have persuaded my daughter that it's a great place to go. She is being given a fairly hard sell and been put in touch with 2 kids who go there already.

To say that I am totally against this is putting it mildly so in the interests of trying to be fair and objective, does anyone have any experience of this campus?

Ta very much.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NYU Abu Dhabi

Interview with an American in Abu Dhabi About Pork, Drugs, and Ski-Slope Shopping Malls - NYU Local
Old Nov 15th 2014, 2:47 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I think there's enough ammo in there.....
Old Nov 15th 2014, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Cadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of light

I lived in there for 3 yrs & I loved it...

That article is a fairly accurate summary of life in Abu Dhabi.
PM me if you have any specific questions...

Last edited by Cadenza-93; Nov 15th 2014 at 3:54 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 4:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The ME section on the site....worth a read. Bound to be more info over there about the place, certainly about AD.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 4:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
.... So, eldest daughter had a rep from NYU at her HS the other week....

NYU has a campus in Abu Dhabi and this guy seems to have persuaded my daughter that it's a great place to go. She is being given a fairly hard sell and been put in touch with 2 kids who go there already.

To say that I am totally against this is putting it mildly so in the interests of trying to be fair and objective, does anyone have any experience of this campus? .....
And you were so desperate to move to the US so your children could go to Ivy League universities. ..... The irony is delicious!

Oh, and just tell her you're not paying for that. Problem solved!

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 15th 2014 at 5:24 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 5:55 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
And you were so desperate to move to the US so your children could go to Ivy League universities. ..... The irony is delicious!

Oh, and just tell her you're not paying for that. Problem solved!
I know right! Bloody kids...
She's been told she'll get a free ride in Abu Dhabi, including flights home. I think she's just getting a bit nervous as she's going to hear back from Stanford in a few weeks.

She is such a feminist and I don't think she really has any idea about what it's like to be discriminated against. I think AD will create an angry young woman. She's going to study maths and comp sci so she will already be in the minority.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

She is such a feminist ....
Possibly a dependent feminist?
She's going to study maths and comp sci so she will already be in the minority.
In the Silicon Valley, about 40% of the engineers are female.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Free ride?

Suddenly it looks much better.

She won't be such an idiot as to not know how things are over there.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 8:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
..... In the Silicon Valley, about 40% of the engineers are female.
Which is a minority!
Old Nov 15th 2014, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Which is a minority!
I'm Caucasian and definitely a minority in the Silicon Valley.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

She should find out if she would have access to the same on-campus recruiting as the main campus and if she has a target employer, if they're on that list. (At least) half the reason to go to a fancy school is that they'll give you front row access to graduate hiring programs. Also check she would have equal access to internship programs (and placement therein) back in the US.

A possible annoyance: going this route, I would expect a lifetime of "You went to NYU - did you study with Professor X at the Courant? Oh, right, different campus... <wanders off>."

Does she know what she wants to do with this degree? If there's grad school on the horizon, tbh I'd save the fancy unis for that, since they are notorious for not actually being very good at teaching...

Btw, I am a lady* mathematician, if you have any questions

*may not be at all ladylike

She's been told she'll get a free ride in Abu Dhabi, including flights home.
If they're selling it so hard, how good can it really be
Old Nov 17th 2014, 12:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by retzie
I'd also wonder about that if they didn't offer her a full scholarship including room and board at their NY campus.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 1:17 am
Austin. TX.

She should find out if she would have access to the same on-campus recruiting as the main campus and if she has a target employer, if they're on that list. (At least) half the reason to go to a fancy school is that they'll give you front row access to graduate hiring programs. Also check she would have equal access to internship programs (and placement therein) back in the US.

A possible annoyance: going this route, I would expect a lifetime of "You went to NYU - did you study with Professor X at the Courant? Oh, right, different campus... <wanders off>."

Does she know what she wants to do with this degree? If there's grad school on the horizon, tbh I'd save the fancy unis for that, since they are notorious for not actually being very good at teaching...

Btw, I am a lady* mathematician, if you have any questions

*may not be at all ladylike

Excellent points, thank you Retzie. Where did you study?

She had her interview with the local MIT person today which seems to have gone brilliantly and suddenly she hasn't mentioned Abu Dhabi once, not even to try and wind me up....I think she's getting a tad nervous about the whole college thing but she'll be fine. One really good thing about the college application system here is that the offers are firm and not conditional, so from ? early March on she'll know where she's going.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

did you study with Professor X

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.