NYC & Tea!

Old Aug 15th 2009, 1:26 am
Just Joined

kingweasel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NYC & Tea!

Hey,

I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

Just wondered if there were any other expats in NYC. Maybe this is a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway! Do you know where I can get a good take-out cup of tea? I used to have a place I went before I moved to NYC but since I got here, I can't get a decent cuppa!

I tried a few places but they just dunk the water in on top of the tea bag, forget the sugar most of the time and it tastes like metal!

Anybody know anywhere around union square?

Thanks
Old Aug 15th 2009, 2:04 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NYC & Tea!

Originally Posted by kingweasel
Hey,

Just wondered if there were any other expats in NYC. Maybe this is a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway! Do you know where I can get a good take-out cup of tea? I used to have a place I went before I moved to NYC but since I got here, I can't get a decent cuppa!

I tried a few places but they just dunk the water in on top of the tea bag, forget the sugar most of the time and it tastes like metal!

Thanks
Sugar!
Old Aug 15th 2009, 2:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hey,

Thanks
Why don't you buy your own PG Tips tea bags and ask for a cup of boiling water? There's loads of places in NYC that sell British goods...I believe Amazon do good deals on PG.

I never drink tea when I'm away from home...even when I lived in the UK. I'm very fussy about my tea...I like it very strong with just a drop of milk. Most people serve weak, milky tea...yuck.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 2:24 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Starbucks Awake?
Old Aug 15th 2009, 2:54 am
Just Joined

Ah yeah, I can do that, just when I'm out and feel like tea. Just wondered if there were any places that served decent tea without the teabag hanging out and having to dump it.

You are right though, probably just best to carry my own tea bags.

Haven't tried PG Tips here, but find Lipton tea to be pretty nice/normal.

Anyhoo, thanks for that

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Why don't you buy your own PG Tips tea bags and ask for a cup of boiling water? There's loads of places in NYC that sell British goods...I believe Amazon do good deals on PG.

I never drink tea when I'm away from home...even when I lived in the UK. I'm very fussy about my tea...I like it very strong with just a drop of milk. Most people serve weak, milky tea...yuck.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 2:54 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There's a few...what's that little britain area with the foodie place and all that? tea and sympathy? whatever...meh.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

seb_ is an unknown quantity at this point

World famous recording artist "moby" founded a café/restaurant in NYC called TeaNY, they have 98 different kinds of tea so hopefully you can find something there that you like.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Family_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of light

http://www.teaandsympathynewyork.com/home.php

And there is a fish and chip shop next door.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Buffalobloobear is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey,

Thanks

dunno if there's any Wegmans stores in NYC, but they have PG Tips, Tetley, Twinings and other UK brands on their shelves.

most places i've experienced, Tim Hortons, McDonalds, Starbucks just don't know how to make a decent brew.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

Funny you mention Wegmans, I really miss that place! None in NYC as far as I know. As for Tim Hortons, they just opened a couple of stores in NYC, not really the same as the Buffalo ones to be honest, I used to get a nice cuppa from Tims!

Originally Posted by Buffalobloobear
dunno if there's any Wegmans stores in NYC, but they have PG Tips, Tetley, Twinings and other UK brands on their shelves.

most places i've experienced, Tim Hortons, McDonalds, Starbucks just don't know how to make a decent brew.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 11:37 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Family_Guy
http://www.teaandsympathynewyork.com/home.php

And there is a fish and chip shop next door.
HELLO!!!! Exciting!

Are there any Argo teas in NY? I like Argo tea.

Snip, edit.

Apparently just in Chicago, sorry.

Come visit :P

Last edited by MrEmjoy; Aug 16th 2009 at 11:39 pm. Reason: lalala
Old Aug 17th 2009, 4:26 pm
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

We went to Alice's Tea Cup when we visited New York. Not really a take out place, but the tea was good, and it was a cute place.
www.alicesteacup.com
Old Aug 17th 2009, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

tea and sympathy and 'a salt and battery' (the chip shop next door) are both overpriced and shit.

'Chip Shop' has 2 locations in Brooklyn (Park Slope and Atlantic Ave, near Clinton) and is way way better. I was in there yesterday in fact!