Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wanting to go over to Florida on a working Visa, is there much work for Secretaries?

Wanting to go over to Florida on a working Visa, is there much work for Secretaries?

Old Aug 2nd 2009, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

londonmillie will become famous soon enoughlondonmillie will become famous soon enough
Default Wanting to go over to Florida on a working Visa, is there much work for Secretaries?

Hi
I need a change from London, I'm a Nurse by profession but do not wish to continue in this area of work. I am know retraining as a Secretary and I have been told the Course that I am doing is internationally recognised. I am just wondering if there is much work available in Florida. I was thinking of joining a Recruitment Agency and doing Temp work. However, in London quite a lot of Agencies ar not registering straight away people due to lack of work.

Can anyone offer any advice on this,

Thanks
Londonmillie
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 4:19 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to go over to Florida on a working Visa, is there much work for Secretari

Originally Posted by londonmillie
Unless you're a US citizen, I don't really think you've done your homework here.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 4:26 pm
Another wandering Scot

Walkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really nice
Default Re: Wanting to go over to Florida on a working Visa, is there much work for Secretari

Thanks
Londonmillie
I don't know much about the immigration issues, millie (although I wouldn't have thought 'secretary' was an occupation eligible for a work permit in the US - correct me or confirm me here someone who knows more about these things). I do know that unemployment rates in FL are quite high right now and so, even if there are no immigration issues then you'll find it quite difficult to get a job at the moment.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 4:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Read through this thread, and the link in it's first post: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585898

See if you fit into any of those categories and let us know.

Rene
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

JulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud of

Hi
I need a change from London, I'm a Nurse by profession but do not wish to continue in this area of work. I am know retraining as a Secretary and I have been told the Course that I am doing is internationally recognised. I am just wondering if there is much work available in Florida. I was thinking of joining a Recruitment Agency and doing Temp work. However, in London quite a lot of Agencies ar not registering straight away people due to lack of work.

Thanks
Londonmillie
Hi Millie, if you don't already have work papers you'll probably have a much higher chance of securing them by applying as a nurse; there is no shortage of secretaries/administrators here; so I don't think you'll have much luck with this. However, if you already have the papers I don't think Florida is the best place to go for this kind of work unless you are bi-lingual and completely fluent in Spanish. I lived in Miami for over a year and this was a huge issue for me. Most of the very few jobs that were advertised expected you to be bi-lingual at the very least; it's really not an easy place if you're not.

Also having said that the job market in the US like there is really bad at the moment. I am in Texas where the economy is considered good compared to the rest of the country; and honestly I am finding it quite depressing... Compared to my life in London there really isn't a lot of work around at all and competition is very very tough.. If you're prepared to stick to nursing you might find that this isn't the case though, from what I understand there's a real shortage over here.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Paulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nice

Hi

Thanks
Londonmillie
Maybe take a look at an old thread about struggling to find work in USA. I am in the same boat now and I can tell you its a struggle indeed!!
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 7:08 pm
Another wandering Scot

Walkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really nice

Originally Posted by JulieinAustin
I don't think Florida is the best place to go for this kind of work unless you are bi-lingual and completely fluent in Spanish. I lived in Miami for over a year and this was a huge issue for me. Most of the very few jobs that were advertised expected you to be bi-lingual at the very least; it's really not an easy place if you're not.
Julie, that's certainly true in the southern third of the state, less so in the other two-thirds (and positively dangerous in some of the more..........rustic parts of the state.)

And I'm not just saying that because I'm insanely jealous of you living in Austin.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 7:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You don't mention firstly if your taking the piss, secondly if you've already got a US connection such as already a USC or married to one or not?

If no connection, then you've got, without having a house full of cash, no chance...as a nurse would have been your best chance for work, but that would have been around 5 years ago, it's taking years now doing down the nurse route.

Why Florida anyway? If it's the little Britain syndrome, your better off picking Spain because you wouldnt' have a visa issue.

Welcome to BE though, and good luck
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 7:32 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Walkingman
Julie, that's certainly true in the southern third of the state, less so in the other two-thirds (and positively dangerous in some of the more..........rustic parts of the state.)

And I'm not just saying that because I'm insanely jealous of you living in Austin.
It's pretty irrelevant, anyway, to the OP's hopes. S/he has no realistic chance of securing suitable US immigration status through the secretarial profession.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
It's pretty irrelevant, anyway, to the OP's hopes. S/he has no realistic chance of securing suitable US immigration status through the secretarial profession.
They could marry the boss.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 8:03 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US
But is that a secretarial skill?
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 8:06 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I need a change from London, I'm a Nurse by profession but do not wish to continue in this area of work. I am know retraining as a Secretary and I have been told the Course that I am doing is internationally recognised.
It sounds fancier over here if you call it 'Administrative Assistant'.
We spell 'recognized' with a z (pronounced 'zee').
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
But is that a secretarial skill?
I wouldn't know...
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US
I did that.. and it got me to the US - albeit 16 years later
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sambapink
I did that.. and it got me to the US - albeit 16 years later

So, you want to be my boss, sambapink?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.