Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

NYC Elementary Schools

NYC Elementary Schools

Old Apr 7th 2019, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

everymum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NYC Elementary Schools

I’m moving with my family to NYC just before summer 2020. Yes, we have considerable advance warning.
Spouse and I will be working in midtown and in the UN.
My kids are in KS1. So will be joining 1st and 2nd grade.
I am going crazy trying to figure out schools. I want to find a school or school options then find our home.
I’m open to public or private. Just want a good school.
Would appreciate your experience with schools in NYC and would particularly love a list of schools to def check out.
Old Apr 7th 2019, 8:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NYC Elementary Schools

There was someone who pasted about this a month or so back, recommended NYC School Help

I have no idea what ks1 is so will leave it there.
Old Apr 8th 2019, 4:19 am
Just Joined

Thanks. I meant Key Stage 1 - so Reception and Year 1.

Thanks for the link to the consultant. Will consider that.
Old Apr 8th 2019, 5:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by everymum
so Reception and Year 1.
What's that mean? Key Stage? Reception?
Old Apr 8th 2019, 11:10 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
What's that mean? Key Stage? Reception?
They're referring to kindergarten ('Reception' in the UK) and the national syllabus that is taught during that time, the 'key stages'

If I remember correctly Secondary school is Key Stage 3 (Years 7-9), Key Stage 4 GCSE years etc.
Old Apr 8th 2019, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
They're referring to kindergarten ('Reception' in the UK) and the national syllabus that is taught during that time, the 'key stages'

If I remember correctly Secondary school is Key Stage 3 (Years 7-9), Key Stage 4 GCSE years etc.
yes. Thanks
Old Apr 8th 2019, 2:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Are you looking to actually live in New York City proper or are you thinking of moving to one of the boroughs, i.e. Brooklyn, Queens, etc. or even to one of the neighboring states or river towns along the Hudson?

What are you looking for in a home? A house, condo, co-op, rental apartment or rental house, backyard, amenities? If you decide those things first, then it would be easier to talk about school districts. In NYC and surrounding areas school attendance is mandated by catchment area, unless you go private. Connecticut, Westchester have the easiest transport into Manhattan for midtown with the end of the line stop at Grand Central on Vanderbilt and 42nd Street. Subways are located in the same building for continuation of your journey to the UN.
Old Apr 8th 2019, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Are you looking to actually live in New York City proper or are you thinking of moving to one of the boroughs, i.e. Brooklyn, Queens, etc. or even to one of the neighboring states or river towns along the Hudson?

What are you looking for in a home? A house, condo, co-op, rental apartment or rental house, backyard, amenities? If you decide those things first, then it would be easier to talk about school districts. In NYC and surrounding areas school attendance is mandated by catchment area, unless you go private. Connecticut, Westchester have the easiest transport into Manhattan for midtown with the end of the line stop at Grand Central on Vanderbilt and 42nd Street. Subways are located in the same building for continuation of your journey to the UN.
Thanks! I think for now we are thinking of living (renting) in the city for at least a year before figure out if we would like to buy.
We would also prefer to be close to the kids school ie work shouldn’t be too far from home and school because with both of us working full time picking and dropping logistics can be a hussle.

We are happy to rent rent an apartment (not really sure the difference between condo and apartment) or a townhouse. Budget is 6k/7k

As we have never really had to do the long commutes I guess I’m just automatically resistant - but I guess we could get used to it... and the idea of more space and a garden does sound nice.
Old Apr 9th 2019, 2:21 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! I think for now we are thinking of living (renting) in the city for at least a year before figure out if we would like to buy.
We would also prefer to be close to the kids school ie work shouldn’t be too far from home and school because with both of us working full time picking and dropping logistics can be a hussle.

We are happy to rent rent an apartment (not really sure the difference between condo and apartment) or a townhouse. Budget is 6k/7k

As we have never really had to do the long commutes I guess I’m just automatically resistant - but I guess we could get used to it... and the idea of more space and a garden does sound nice.
In the context of the city a condo and coop are types of ownership, mainly for apartments (flats) in general a lot of coop’s are older buildings, while condos are generally newer buildings, but there are always exceptions, theses are typically owned by individuals. Coop’s often have a pretty comprehensive approval process and restrictions on if an owner can rent out their property (sometimes called a sublet, even though they own it) They are also rental buildings where it’s all owned by a single owner and it’s all rentals.
You should be able to get an OK 3 bed 2 bath with your budget in midtown east / kips bay close to the UN. For better public schools you may have to look at the upper west side. I moved out of the city for better public schools and have a 2 hour commute each way. I would check out www.streeteasy.com for an idea of what properties your money could get you.

Old Apr 9th 2019, 11:27 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the input.

As we have time, I think we will visit beforehand and look at at least 3 areas and 3 schools we will have narrowed down to. It looks like it will the best way to make a good decision.

We both need to start working almost immediately upon arrival so the better prepared we can be (or try to be) the easier it will be (I hope).
Old Apr 9th 2019, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe look at the United Nations International School? Quite expensive but just thought to put it out there.
Old Apr 10th 2019, 4:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fbf2006
Maybe look at the United Nations International School? Quite expensive but just thought to put it out there.
Thank you. It’s one of the schools on my list.
Old Apr 10th 2019, 5:42 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. It’s one of the schools on my list.
I have friends who had a child in a Montessori in Westchester and seems to be happy. I believe there is one close to the UN as well. Again indirect but I have past co-workers who were interviewing to get their children in to private schools. I think both parents had to go and the school to be interviewed and they also wanted to observe the child interacting with other children and I seem to recall them talking about some sort or entry exam. I know one was on a waitlist for their preferred school, so I would do your research as early as possible to make sure you don’t miss any deadline to try and get in to your preferred one.
Old Apr 10th 2019, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tht

I have friends who had a child in a Montessori in Westchester and seems to be happy. I believe there is one close to the UN as well. Again indirect but I have past co-workers who were interviewing to get their children in to private schools. I think both parents had to go and the school to be interviewed and they also wanted to observe the child interacting with other children and I seem to recall them talking about some sort or entry exam. I know one was on a waitlist for their preferred school, so I would do your research as early as possible to make sure you don’t miss any deadline to try and get in to your preferred one.
Thank you! Very helpful!